Another noob has a clone emergency!

softy420

Hi everybody ! :rollit:

First time poster and grow noob having a serious clone problem. I've been reading here for a while and have been informed and entertained by the posters. But apparently not educated enouph since I'm having serious clone issues.

I got some ak47 clones from another growing noob friend of mine on Oct 6th. We cloned them at his house and placed them in rockwool. As soon as I got home I put them in a domed clone tray with plant heating pad under floro, misted them and they barely even wilted. They have been looking phenomenal until yestarday. It was as if they read my mind when it occured to me that my friend had never treated the rockwool!!!! ( not blaming since they are my plants) Before I realized the rockwool problem I tried to ween them from the dome last night and put the light closer(from 10 in to 6i) but they wilted. So they arent ready to have more light and be dome free( I see no visible root growth yet) but I still have the rockwool problem(ph issue), what do I do? They all have some new growth but are now so sad looking. Sorry I don't have a digital camera and don't know how to take a cell phone shot and upload it here. It has incredible been to see them so happy and standing tall and now I feel as crushed as they look. I need help....help me help them please :nomo:

Softy420:peace:

I am a little lonely here, lol Hopefully it's temporary.

My friend who gave me the clones is a dirt farmer too. I've watched him through a few harvests and it got me inspired to try growing for myself.

The girls look alot better today but I'm worried about the PH in the rockwool and have no idea what to do. Maybe if I wish hard enouph the answer will come...lol I'm glad ya said hi and will be online most of the day to find the answer. Gotta get a digital camera soon !

softy420:peace:

Thanks for the reply Ms Fox. I've kept the floor of the tray with just a tiny splash of water when dry and have misted them and the dome three times a day to get some fresh air on them. Past that no nutrients yet. I've raised the flouro lights a bit and the water is a 5.5 to 6. Still perfecting the ph-ing. Past that I'm lost as to how to make sure they don't suffer due to my ignorance. There was quite a bit of new growth for a bit but yet no signs of rooting.

Hopefully I can get them through this quickly.

Clones require high humidity to properly grow roots. They also may need more water; although, it sounds like you've been on top of that. The only thing I can think of is maybe you took the dome off too soon, and they weren't ready yet. I would use a very light dose of nutes, too. Just keep an eye on em. I've got my fingers crossed for ya! ;-)

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. It's funny how attached I've gotten to them. Even having them in the house and viewing them makes me happy. Such a gorgeous plant! I just viewed them and they are perking up even more, though they still don't look as healthy as a few days ago. You maybe right, removing the dome may have been the cause of the shock. Hopefully..........thanks for the support Ms Fox.

Not treating the rockwool was the first mistake, the plants have nothing for nutrition. Once hey have grown some decent roots Ide transplant in dirt and give them some nutrition, unless you plan on putting them in hydro, in which of course you would still need to give them some food. Do you have a PH pen?

Not treating the rockwool was the first mistake, the plants have nothing for nutrition. Once hey have grown some decent roots Ide transplant in dirt and give them some nutrition, unless you plan on putting them in hydro, in which of course you would still need to give them some food. Do you have a PH pen?

It was THE mistake to be sure Stonergrower. Thank you for your response and suggestions, they're appreciated. I'm grateful for the help.

So I should go down to my local hydro store and purchase some nutrients. Ok Sunday is the soonest I can get there. Although maybe I could Could get a little from a friend. I do plan on keeping them in Rockwool. Yes, I have a ph kit but will buy a PH pen next time I go to the store.

Is it possible to cure the problem with the PH of the rockwool while the plants are in them? Should I replant them in new and treated rockwool once they root?

How close should the plants be to the floro light when they are stressed and rootless?

thanks for any expert help!:rollit:

Any suggestions on the best products for clones?

For hydro grows you use ph up and down to control ph, you can get this at a hydro store. Put a dome over the clones and have the lights outside the dome.

Thanks for the ph suggestion, which actually I do have. Plus, like you said, I'll be keeping the dome on them 24/7 till the roots are really showing.

I've just been concerned with the PH not being low enouph in the water to off set the high Ph of the rockwool. Tonight they are even more perky but yet are not 100% by any means. much thanks! :rollit:

while clones do better initially with high humidity it isn't 100% required. I don't use a humidity dome and get excellent results. As for your pre treating...just fert with a 1/4 strength dose of nutrients PH'd at 5.5 to 6.0 and you should be alright. Don't try to harden them up till you see roots out the bottom of the cubes. Don't lower the lights when you try to harden them up. Get them used to things slowly. First get them ready to no dome. then more lumens. You've babied these things too much and now they need to be weened into adulthood slowly and carefully.
here is a picture of my cloning process. 2 pc fans mounted to a old stereo cabinet for cross ventilation and two 65watt cfl's that put out over 6500 lumens each in the lid. no domes or misting. just keep the cubes damp with frequent drying out periods to encourage root growth.
camera_dump_11_17_06_084.jpg

while clones do better initially with high humidity it isn't 100% required. I don't use a humidity dome and get excellent results. As for your pre treating...just fert with a 1/4 strength dose of nutrients PH'd at 5.5 to 6.0 and you should be alright. Don't try to harden them up till you see roots out the bottom of the cubes. Don't lower the lights when you try to harden them up. Get them used to things slowly. First get them ready to no dome. then more lumens. You've babied these things too much and now they need to be weened into adulthood slowly and carefully.
here is a picture of my cloning process. 2 pc fans mounted to a old stereo cabinet for cross ventilation and two 65watt cfl's that put out over 6500 lumens each in the lid. no domes or misting. just keep the cubes damp with frequent drying out periods to encourage root growth.
camera_dump_11_17_06_084.jpg

They do seem to be hypersensitive and quickly wilted with no dome but yet they are doing better. I lost one but the others will do fine for now. Thanks for the response Racefan. This is my first time and am a little hypersensitive myself :smokin:

Thanks for the pic, interesting that your babies do so well with lower humidity and no misting vs mine which wilted and one gave up the ghost all together so as not to suffer this fool. :winkyface::winkyface:

I started out with plenty, knowing that my learning curve may be steep :rollit:

I'm having similar problems :/

I'm sorry to here that and have much empathy for you. It seems that keeping the dome on them. Adding a light nutrient, keeping the h2o ph a bit lower than normal(due to the hight PH of the rockwool) and raising the light a bit will have done the trick. Though I had a crisis happen which could have been a disaster. I usually make sure my closet door when closed is latched and I then put a small suitecase in front of it to keep the cats from digging under the door due to the scent and curiosity. But this morning I accidently didn't latch the door and neglected to put the suitecase in front of it and within minutes of leaving the room I heard a crash. I had my babies in the tray on top of a large vacuum cleaner box and my cat Phoebo had knocked them off and when I came in, all my babies were strewn out all over the floor. I was crushed but immidiately put them back to normal. I did all I could do since my local hydro-shop is not open on Sundays. So tomorrow first thing I will have to buy some products to help them with the shock. As I write I lost one more (totally two) which was already on her way. A few looked sad and the others seem okay. Some had been knocked completely out of the rockwool and I didn't see any root growth yet. Oct 6 was the evening I cut them so I hope I can keep them alive long enough to root and then they will not be so fragil.

I'm going over tonight to see the friend that gave them to me and to hang out and check his out his babies :smokin:. Its funny but he doesn't worry a lick about PH, clone domes, humidity, air circulation or anything of the sort. He threw them in dirt and they look phenomenal. I pine over doing it all right and keeping them happy and they look as weak as I feel...

My thoughts go to the theories of Rudolph Steiner and the deeper mystical connections that connect us to the plant(s)we're caring for. Wiki him and his theories of biodynamic farming...quite interesting. Anyway, I'm rambing and probaby over thinking this project and I'm probably just

simply doing it wrong....lol :rollit:

~I don't think the not pre-soaking the rockwool will be an issue for too long as you are constantly soaking it with balanced or lower as you said water now it will lower to ph balanced I assume. I just cloned my first batch ever wish them luck! ;)

Get rid of the Rock wool!!!
It causes Damp off & is to tightly packed for the roots to penetrate.
hate that stuff.
I use potting soil, then I wash off all the dirt at 5 nodes of roots & put in netcup with hyderton pellets.
and straight in to the aero rails & 1 k watt.
slag

Back
Top Bottom