Any one point me in the right direction of what could be causing this please

Mosquito bits/dunks are cheap. Get them on amazon or at a hardware store. I mix with water and douse the soil before I start the grow. The nematodes are somehow dormant and activated by the water. They specifically go after eggs and larvae. If there aren’t any, they just die off. A little goes a long way, so you don’t need a lot.
The Mosquito Bits are designed for sprinkling on top of the soil. Normal watering will release the active ingredient and the water carries it into the soil. The active ingredient is a bacteria which was discovered in the 1970s. If I an remembering right the label on the Mosquito Bits jar mentions using it as a control for both mosquitoes and for fungus gnats. I do not remember the mention of gnats on the Mosquito Dunks packaging though it can be used.

I eliminated the fungus gnat problem in my growing room by sprinkling just a little bit of the Bits on top of each pot of soil, including the very small pots which had cuttings in them which had not yet started growing roots. Even went so far as to sprinkle a little bit on top of each pot and bucket that had soil in it waiting to be used. Then I watered from a gallon jug which I had placed a 1/4 of a dunk in overnight. Took several days but I no longer have the gnats flying around, no new gnats showing up on the yellow sticky card, or any new gnat larvae showing up in the soil. It has been well over a month and everything seems to be good.

This is from the website https://insectcop.net/mosquito-dunk-review/ and the same info can be found on several other websites. The active ingredient in the Mosquito Dunks and Mosquito Bits is not nematodes. It is a bacteria. Most soil nematodes can eat the bacteria and it will have no affect on them. But mosquito larvae or the larvae of the fungus gnats and they are killed off.
"Mosquito Dunks, which is a registered trademark of Summit Chemical Co., are made almost exclusively out of a naturally occurring soil bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis, more specifically its strain israelensis (aka B.t.i.)."

This is an article on nematodes, https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/a20705657/nematodes/ and down near the bottom is a paragraph on the nematodes that are good for gardening because they either attack and kill other insects that harm plants or because they will help break down and decompose organic material; compost piles are a good place for beneficial nematodes.

Enjoy the day.

Is that good for bugs in general (thrip, gnats, etc)?

I live in the UK. Can’t find it. Bummer.
I got it off Amazon. I’m not sure if it’s available in the UK.
It doesn’t say anything about Thrips, but I’d imagine it would. Knocks the hell out of spider mites. I was almost to the point of chopping my entire grow before I found this stuff. Smells good and leaves a nice shine on your plants.
They said I could use it all the way up to week 7 in flower. I did, and didn’t notice anything odd tasting with the buds. I do however wash all my buds.

3 of these had gnats and 2 had spider mites. Three weeks later, not a sign of either.
1F7E13DA-1859-47AE-9563-9ABF631505C0.jpeg

It’s up to you, but they can be fixed easily.

3 of these had gnats and 2 had spider mites. Three weeks later, not a sign of either.
1F7E13DA-1859-47AE-9563-9ABF631505C0.jpeg

It’s up to you, but they can be fixed easily.
I’ve got a mate whos gunner let me put a new set up in his house with these plants what I have here I have 4 all in all and I’m gunner start another two in my set up I have got biobizz light mix for my new grow and biobizz trio of grow bloom and top max and I think I’m more experienced now for the signs on what to look for and what not to do so gunner give it another shot

I’m gunner get some neem oil ASAP and will stick some sticky strips up aswell and clean out my tent and equipment and will order some diatomaceous earth as soon as I can little bastards man !!!!!
Neem Oil Spray
2 ml dish detergent
10 ml neem oil
4 litres dechlorinated water
Mix together and put in a sprayer that can spray upside down and make sure that you treat the underneath of the leaves. We do this once a week (including flower) except for the last 2 weeks.

Also, when ever we see fungus gnats, we make a mixture of 4 parts dechlorinated water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide. We use this in a spray and if they are bad enough we will also water the top 1 inch of soil in each pot. I know this last part sounds drastic - it works. Not sure what it does to my soil microbes though so we only do it as a last resort. I use the sticky traps too. They give you a good idea of how effective your treatments are after a peroxide drench. namaste hedz

Back
Top Bottom