I'm new here and new to growing: Can anyone identify what could be causing this?

amyc143

420 Member
Can anyone identify what could be causing this? Im new to growing. I just sprayed for spider mites that I unfortunately brought in from outside. Could this be caused by them or is this something else. Thnks

Attachments

• 20201004_172038_Film3.jpg
    20201004_172038_Film3.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20201004_172010_Film3.jpg
    20201004_172010_Film3.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20201004_172002_Film3.jpg
    20201004_172002_Film3.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to the forum @amyc143 :welcome:
Can anyone identify what could be causing this? Im new to growing. I just sprayed for spider mites that I unfortunately brought in from outside. Could this be caused by them or is this something else. Thnks
Yes, that's probably from the mites and spray...but...you have a Nitrogen toxicity, dark green leaves with curled tips "witches claw"... back off the nutrients for a watering or two :thumb:

If you are totally new to growing cannabis then know this. NEVER give full strength nutrients based in producers instructions.. doing so will 99% of the time kill a plant. Seedlings need nothing for a few weeks and when you start with nutrients use 1/4 strength or less initially and work up to 1/2 strength ( half of what manufacturer recommends) better less than too much always, too little = sad plant , too much ( often ) = dead plant. :)

:welcome:

If you are totally new to growing cannabis then know this. NEVER give full strength nutrients based in producers instructions.. doing so will 99% of the time kill a plant. Seedlings need nothing for a few weeks and when you start with nutrients use 1/4 strength or less initially and work up to 1/2 strength ( half of what manufacturer recommends) better less than too much always, too little = sad plant , too much ( often ) = dead plant. :)
:thedoubletake::thedoubletake: Wow, who told you that :hmmmm: ...not true... :morenutes: I give my girls a full dose of nutrients 2 weeks from sprout :thumb:
It's when people use mediums and nutrients that aren't formulated for cannabis is when they overdose their plants, or they still have a lot left to learn...
Not trying to be an ass, or say I know it all, I still have a lot to learn yet, this is just my opinion, gathered over a 14 year period of growing MJ indoors :snowboating:

:thedoubletake::thedoubletake: Wow, who told you that :hmmmm: ...not true... :morenutes: I give my girls a full dose of nutrients 2 weeks from sprout :thumb:
It's when people use mediums and nutrients that aren't formulated for cannabis is when they overdose their plants, or they still have a lot left to learn...
Not trying to be an ass, or say I know it all, I still have a lot to learn yet, this is just my opinion, gathered over a 14 year period of growing MJ indoors :snowboating:
All good, I suppose I should have clarified my intention was to say that you should not give full nuts immediately. I've always followed the never full strength rule, not the same growing in dirt but for hydro I never have done full strength but I'm new to this again.. last time I grew anything was 20 years ago . No worries, i dont take critique negatively and appreciate your direct nature :)

:welcome: To :420: Amy C

I too believe it has a lot to do with the Nutes you use and if their formulated for Cannabis specifically or not. A common mistake people make is to use Miracle Grow, but that's a bad idea, it's not what you need for Cannabis.

Take some time and read this: Grow Supply Product Reviews
It will give you some insight on some good products to try out.

Also, don't hesitate to ask around for help and suggestions as well...The growers here are top notch, so your in great hands my friend...

:thumb:

Thank u very much every bit of info is great.

A non invasive and fairly effective bug deterrent is those bright yellow sticky bug traps, my wife grows cactus and fungus gnats love the soil, those things and some funnel trap plants take care of them, she also has a well fed sunder ( carnivore plant ) those yellow sticky things are effective ahdcdo not effect your plant at all .

What are the chances a good bug bomb aerosol wouldn't give a better result than what they used? Is there a phase in plant growth you could get away with it before flowering perhaps? I definitely wouldn't do it on matured flowering plants at least not unprotected with a plastic bag perhaps. So welcome and hope you get past this soon (nuke them) and GG

What are the chances a good bug bomb aerosol wouldn't give a better result than what they used? Is there a phase in plant growth you could get away with it before flowering perhaps? I definitely wouldn't do it on matured flowering plants at least not unprotected with a plastic bag perhaps. So welcome and hope you get past this soon (nuke them) and GG
You don't want to use chemical anything on a plant you intend to smoke at any point imo. Mites can be dealt with by predator bugs or lots of care to clean off the plant several times over a few days .
Bugs do not spontaneously show up on your plants, they have to go through your medium, and the flying ones will land there eventually.
So I use Beneficial Nematodes, actually I learned about them here, and haven't had a bug since, no mites, no gnats, no thrips, NO NOTHING!!
Never spray anything on your plants again! Just mix with water and...water :thumb:

Nematodes.JPG

Hi I’m new here also I use to grow indoors no luck for me in that so I switched to outdoors. What I use for mites is a Cali cleaner. I get around 15 hottest pepper habinor slice it up must wear gloves take the steam out. Add water in a pot and never cook inside use a BBQ grill or a burner let it simmer for 15 minutes not boil I usually simmer it for 30 minutes when cool down you drain the water solution and add it to a spray bottle and spray your plants. I used paper towel to dip some of the solution and put it on the leaves also when it was budding it killed them and they hate the stuff all natural didn’t have any issues just had to repeat it when I see signs of them dust mites. Never get this in your eyes it will burn like hell and must use gloves I didn’t and my hands were burning on fire for 3 days

You can bug bomb/fog your grow room while no plants are present, and it does help preventing crawling insects for the next grow.
But doing it while they are alive and present is very risky. Some older bug bombs that contained only permethrin or pyrethrin used to be ok to use during veg, in case of a really bad infestation.
Newer foggers/bombs almost all have ingredients that your plant won't like. If it contains Piperonyl Butoxide (many of the new ones do) it will KILL your plant outright within a day of using the fogger.
Basically it isn't worth it to do around live plants. Lots of other treatments that only kill what is intended, and don't affect smoke. If it's a small problem, ladybugs may be able to fix it as well.

Back
Top Bottom