Anyone ever used Nitrogen gas to preserve weed at home?

leblanca

Im wondering if any of you growers have ever stored weed for long period in container with nitrogen in it?
I have access to nitrogen with my job and always have a bottle with me so i was wondering if after a 2 month curing time i store my weed in 1 Oz bag that i blow with a bit of nitrogen from the bottom with a tube to push all the air out and than add a boveta bag 58% humidity and close the bag, would that be a good method to preserve the weed for a couple of years ?
So far i have been using plastic bucket with Gamma Lid that seal the bucket, after 2 year the weed still has taste and get me high but now since i have nitrogen i might as well improve the low budget option, Glass jar are too expansive.

... Glass jar are too expansive.
That is a point that has to be considered. To compare the costs you have to imagine what you would be spending money on if you did not have the "free" Nitrogen gas. How much do the bags and any other supplies cost? When all done adding up costs the glass jars might still cost a bit more until figuring in that the jars are re-useable while most of the bags are one-time use and new ones have to be bought each time.

Nitrogen is used while packaging a lot of foods, including fresh meat, lunch meats, and cut vegetables, to keep them fresh so it should work for what you are thinking. Just going to have to do it quickly so that fresh air does not get in before the bag is sealed.

Might not need the Boveda pack if the weed is already dried and cured before the bag is sealed.

Im wondering if any of you growers have ever stored weed for long period in container with nitrogen in it?
I have access to nitrogen with my job and always have a bottle with me so i was wondering if after a 2 month curing time i store my weed in 1 Oz bag that i blow with a bit of nitrogen from the bottom with a tube to push all the air out and than add a boveta bag 58% humidity and close the bag, would that be a good method to preserve the weed for a couple of years ?
So far i have been using plastic bucket with Gamma Lid that seal the bucket, after 2 year the weed still has taste and get me high but now since i have nitrogen i might as well improve the low budget option, Glass jar are too expansive.
Never used nitrogen, but I've vacuum sealed my buds (after drying/curing) and although it squishes them a little when vac sealed, I've opened them up 6 months to a year later and they are as fresh as the day that I put them into the bag.

I wonder if the Nitrogen gas would interfere with the curing process?

Neat idea. But even my biggest harvests never seem to make it past the year mark around my house :laugh:

Neat idea. But even my biggest harvests never seem to make it past the year mark around my house :laugh:
I think I would cure as normal, because you want the O2 to degrade the chlorophyll, but once cured, store in nitrogen. I used to work at place that used a lot of nitrogen, but it was liquified (LN) for cooling glove boxes. fun stuff to instantly freeze anything, but wear protective gear it will burn you if it splashes on you.

The curing process should be finished before any sort of sealing. Kind of like we are supposed to open and close the jars on a schedule while curing. When done curing we do not have to worry about opening anymore. And some growers say that they do not open for a year or more after they figure the cure has done its job.

That is a point that has to be considered. To compare the costs you have to imagine what you would be spending money on if you did not have the "free" Nitrogen gas. How much do the bags and any other supplies cost? When all done adding up costs the glass jars might still cost a bit more until figuring in that the jars are re-useable while most of the bags are one-time use and new ones have to be bought each time.

Nitrogen is used while packaging a lot of foods, including fresh meat, lunch meats, and cut vegetables, to keep them fresh so it should work for what you are thinking. Just going to have to do it quickly so that fresh air does not get in before the bag is sealed.

Might not need the Boveda pack if the weed is already dried and cured before the bag is sealed.
Correct on all points. EVERYone 4gets how bags lick meds off. Jars take more real estate but less invasive.
P.S.: the same process is used to preserve wine. The way it works is heavier than oxygen so it pushes the oxygen out. So rushing after you displace the oxygen will only displace the nitrogen. So stability is the key, not speed, in capping.

The curing process should be finished before any sort of sealing. Kind of like we are supposed to open and close the jars on a schedule while curing. When done curing we do not have to worry about opening anymore. And some growers say that they do not open for a year or more after they figure the cure has

Forgive me but I believe you mean the drying process. The curing process is all about choking out my girl and making her gas up. Then burp her like the baby that she is...

Forgive me but I believe you mean the drying process. The curing process is all about choking out my girl and making her gas up. Then burp her like the baby that she is...
I digress... the whole point of this discussion was pro/con nitrogen to help preserve cannabis. How can you go wrong if treating your girl properly by eliminating oxygen that will make her oxidize LoL?

Back
Top Bottom