Are my clones dying?

Ollylake

Hi all, I’ve taken my first clones this past weekend. After 3-4 days they’re all looking pretty miserable... could this be because my soil was saturated? I’ve got them I’m cups covered with a bag to increase humidity and am removing that every couple of days. They’re currently having 18hrs light under my small LED grow light. I also used a cannabis rooting gel before planting.

33678395-4A61-4995-B582-893ACA874964.jpeg

Maybe a tad too humid and too much light. The soil should be moist but not dripping or soaked. I trim the ends of the leaves to help with a little less leaf surface area, they need light , but we aren't looking for leaf growth per say at this point. Try getting them out of the direct light they don't need a ton to stay alive, a 19 watt led light from HD is plenty.

I take my cuts, cut a 45 on the end dip in clonex and into rapid rooter plugs then into the tray , I try to keep the rooter plug moist not dripping and I mist the dome more than the plants themselves. Usually have roots in 6-10 days with the right temps. A little different depending on what part of the country you are in.
Peace OG

Hi guys, sorry for my delayed response. Life is getting busier now the weather is improving!

It’s now a week since planting these clones and they’re looking no better, some of the leaves are beginning to turn. I’m not giving up until they’ve turned completely brown lol!

I think next weekend I’m going to try a new batch of clones. I may buy myself an ‘Ez-cloner’, however that’s $200 that could go toward something else if it isn’t needed. Do either of you have any experience with aeroponics?

I think my problems stem from over saturated soil, I watered them in like I was transplanting a healthy plant....

Trial and error I guess.

Clones in coco take 2 weeks,roughly, heatmat and humidity tray helps heaps.
They always look shite before they root.
If lower leaves are touching the medium, cut the fingers in half as not to let moisture cause probs on them.

Yeah. Looked like too much water to my untrained eye. Glad they are improving.

Hiya @Ollylake Maybe a dumb quesiton...are you misting them? I just get my soil a slightly wet initially, then mist two, maybe 3 times a day for a week or more and keep my dome walls misted. No water in the cup again till I see growth.

Im
Hiya @Ollylake Maybe a dumb quesiton...are you misting them? I just get my soil a slightly wet initially, then mist two, maybe 3 times a day for a week or more and keep my dome walls misted. No water in the cup again till I see growth.

I’m misting them every couple of days, they are individually wrapped with a ziplock back so I’m guessing the humidity within each “chamber” would be above the humidity inside a dome...? Maybe not? Either way, I’ve written these clones off. If they root then it’s just a bonus lol.

I will take some new cuttings this weekend and try again if they have failed.

It's my understanding they are primarily getting hydration through their leaves as cuttings and not very efficiently at that...maybe give misting more regularly a shot? For me, water in the soil is really just to help them stay stood up in the beginning...I put misted plastic bags loosely over my starter pots and now have a tray with a dome that holds a dozen or so starters, I find they both dry out pretty significantly in just 6-8 hours. This is fine a week or more into the root when I want to start hardening them up I might let them go dry longer, but in the beginning I think they need to be wetted often.
I mist the leaves and dome and if needed wet the top of the soil at least twice a day for at least 10 days, then wait to see root out the bottom or check for roots before I give any significant amount of water to the soil. That's how I've seemed to been able to have pretty good success.

Also I just noticed you have alot of leaves on that cutting. I've found I have better results with cuttings way more trimmed back than that, and I know I read there is a reason for that, but damned if I can't remember it now! I would have cut off the top and one of each of the two sets of leaves on alternating sides and probably trimmed the fingers of those leaves to half before I tried to root that cut.

Back
Top Bottom