Be Aware of the European-Corn Borer

History

One of the most treacherous, and ferocious threats to our outdoor cannabis crops comes from a moth known as the "European-High flyer", specifically Ostrina nubilalis. This species of moth lays forms a larvae that is uniquely vicious in terms of its survival techniques and abilities to adapt.

Let's begin with a little history. Directly after World War 2, we had an issue with DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane) which was used as a contact poison for many different types of insects. It was also used to treat troops to control Malaria. Nobody knew at the time, but it turns out DDT have a very toxic ecological effect on the environment. DDT eventually built up heavily in lower-food chain animals such as rodents and amphibians, what happened was is that the Bald Eagle population ( and quite a few birds of prey) plummeted. Because they were ingesting a percentage of that DDT (much like humans ingest a small amount of mercury when eating fish and a lot from shark ), it caused their egg shells to develop no strength, and become very thin. And then they would lay their eggs and sit on their eggs to incubate them, the shells would crack and they would kill all their babies. Don't get me wrong, the DDT worked great for keeping the bugs off the plants, it just took a long time for us to figure out what was really happening. In a sense, it really helped us rise to the occasion after WW2 was over, our corn yields skyrocketed for years after using DDT!

Immediately when the Bald Eagle population was put under protection, obviously all DDT use came to a halt, well, for 30-40 years we've had to make due with different organic, and synthetic pesticide remedies. Most of those years farmers would take into account the rather large percentage of corn they knew they'd lose. Essentially we're talking about mostly field corn. The european-high flyer, and soon to be corn-borer specifically has been targeting field corn since the 1900s. It was until the 1990s , where genetic modification research was being done in an effort to fight world hunger. It turns out they were able to find out that a specific strain of bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis effectively kills caterpillars (specifically targeting them!). It was first found on sick gypsy moth, and isolated in the lab. The cry toxic can be extracted and used as a pesticide for multiple uses. It does not effect all species of insects, or even humans/pets, we do not have a receptor in our brains for the protien toxin.

After this GMOed corn was put on the market, it increased the yields for farmers by 10-30 percent. Many similar things have been done with many other plants of course, marijuana, apples, potatoes, etc.

How it Relates
Well, maybe not everyone has to deal with the european-corn borer, be it their location or the fact they grow indoors. However, for the regular outdoor gardener, they can be brutal to watch infect and literally swim through your precious trichomes. We as cannabis gardeners do not have that luxury of a genetically modified genome with BT. The corn-borer will not stop at a measly garlic spray, neem oil, or some pussy system insecticide. Might as well give them a cup of tea with their lunch too. Well, the obvious reason is to
spray BT right?? Well yeah, of course. Plus natural insects that won't get effected by the BT as extra insurance. However, they are called BORERS for a reason. Once they've eaten enough leaf material, they're mandibles are large enough to carve into the rigid, very dense cellulose structure of the stems/stalks. Once they're in, they begin hollowing out the tunnel, as to traverse through the plant without getting found. I've even seen small little exit drill holes for them to have easier access. When they travel, they poop. The poop quickly induces a botrytis mold that kills your buds twice as fast. The real problem here is that they seem to LOVE trichomes, and the stickiness. They really only become a problem with the buds are dense, secretive, have perfect moist crannies. It can be hard to notice, only until the top of the cola is ready to fall off, the worm is the new stem holding it up. Even then, you cannot spray enough BT spray on your plants, it will not seep through the stem with any sensible application.
So, the idea is to continually inspect, and treat with BT (or Azamax) spray once a week, all the way up to 2 weeks before harvest, even then their's a risk of infestation.

There's nothing worse than to see your beautiful crops that you've been working hard, and been watching grow get infested by something like this. Awareness becomes an important asset in order to not lose everything, after all, we don't grow cannabis fields (or atleast most legal growers don't), so the more crop that is infected has an even greater effect on total yield.

Ideas put forth by Relaxed Lester
:420:

Typical infestation pictures:

(Note: First two pictures are viewing the hollowed out stem from above)
photo_13_11.JPG
photo_12_16.JPG
photo_10_22.JPG
photo_19_4.JPG

Wow. Those things look awful. Now I see what you're dealing with. Fight the good fight and do us proud.

Yes, they are very terrible. They come out of their bored-tunnel trying to bite you.

Hey Lester... Good job with the info my green growing friend. I have been researching the BT GMO corn that Monsanto has been producing for quite some time now. It seems when the bugs eat the corn. Their stomachs and intestines explode. And Monsanto has for years stating
the fact that it is of no harm to human consumption. Well, studies now have found that the toxin has been found in different parts of the body, and in pregnant woman's baby parts. The stuff is bad for us...Wal-mart is the only food source company still selling corn with the BT treatment. And now the government is finding a new breed of insect that is immune to the GMO corn...just like gonorrhea gets immune to penicillin after a while. So I plead with you my grow brother in arms. By-pass BT altogether if you can.

:ban:

Thanks for reading mango. Well, as you know, like with the DDT thing, it took a few years for us to realize how it was actually effecting the environment. ( In BT's case, how it's effecting humans in the long term ) Somethings are too good to be true, but what I would like to know, is the details of these studies, how many people participated, and what were the final BT concentrations in the blood,etc. There are a lot more details that need to be known before simply "banning it". There are multiple sides to the story is all I'm saying.

Anyway, in regards to BT and spraying the plants. There is literally no problem there and this is the ultimate defense against a variation in caterpillars. Considering the BT is either rinsed off, or decomposed, it will not effect my crops, or me, because it won't be there when I harvest.

As for plants that have the gene built in, that is something we need to study more.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me, I will be keeping tabs on this, and will be looking further into it as I am interested as well.

:peace:

I was just reading the other day...BT used on cotton fields in Alabama have got some people out of whack... In India, they had a major outbreak of allergies concerning BT...To tell you the truth Lester...I have such a bitter disdain for Monsanto, that I am totally biased against anything they do. But I do have a love for the One True Gift from God... Cannabis. And being disabled myself. I don't want to live like a human filter to drug companies... But the Green Magic of the Plant we love so much is the answer...I Know This!!!!
~ God Bless ~ :rocker:

i have never seen one of these in action, do you regularly suffer with them?

would you be willing to try an experiment for me pls?

i have a strong feeling that if you shred a load of wheat straw/hay into your soil mix it may make your plant immune to the borer.

DIMBOA may transfer as a pollutant =)

it may even be possible to make a sort of compost tea foliar feed from the wheat.

i have never seen one of these in action, do you regularly suffer with them?

would you be willing to try an experiment for me pls?

i have a strong feeling that if you shred a load of wheat straw/hay into your soil mix it may make your plant immune to the borer.

DIMBOA may transfer as a pollutant =)

it may even be possible to make a sort of compost tea foliar feed from the wheat.

Yeah they're pretty much a normal occurrence for me. Interesting about the DIMBOA, but my best bet is probably on the BT spray and ladybugs, maybe next time around I'll experiment with soil mixtures like that. Besides, I am doubting that it will make it "immune" to the borer. Those things will stop at nothing it seems like.

Thanks for the information, I will look more into DIMBOA, but if its a "natural defense" against corn-borers, I'm guessing it didn't work to begin with. Otherwise we wouldn't have needed to invent multiple types pesticides to get rid of them..

I was just reading the other day...BT used on cotton fields in Alabama have got some people out of whack... In India, they had a major outbreak of allergies concerning BT...To tell you the truth Lester...I have such a bitter disdain for Monsanto, that I am totally biased against anything they do. But I do have a love for the One True Gift from God... Cannabis. And being disabled myself. I don't want to live like a human filter to drug companies... But the Green Magic of the Plant we love so much is the answer...I Know This!!!!
~ God Bless ~ :rocker:

God Bless to you too !:Namaste:

Yeah they're pretty much a normal occurrence for me. Interesting about the DIMBOA, but my best bet is probably on the BT spray and ladybugs, maybe next time around I'll experiment with soil mixtures like that. Besides, I am doubting that it will make it "immune" to the borer. Those things will stop at nothing it seems like.

Thanks for the information, I will look more into DIMBOA, but if its a "natural defense" against corn-borers, I'm guessing it didn't work to begin with. Otherwise we wouldn't have needed to invent multiple types pesticides to get rid of them..

the efficacy of Dimboa is directly proportional to its levels in the plant, if not enough it not effective.
im currently reading

then will be looking at it from the side of synthetic dimboa and see whats occourd in that field =)

there seems to be only a 10 week window of vulnerability, i guess for those its practical to do so, should simply not plant until the last weeks of july and avoid the problem altogether.

In terms of cannabis, and the peak flight times of the european-high flyer, the second generation comes out in September/October (in my area), right when we are getting ready to harvest. From there, the larvae only takes 48 hours to hatch and begin wreaking havoc...
Planting in july may eliminate the first generation, however the second generation is known to be much more of a problem... they have a real sweet tooth...

I'm at war with moths, around sunset I see a moth the size of a hummingbird, very fast, I'll have my bait net waiting for him tonite, thank goodness he avoids my plant, it's probably the same as this Hawkmoth I caught in late spring, hadn't seen one since then til now, here he is again.
hawkmoth.jpg

sounds like you need a 6 week strain, lol.

how big is the field? thought about just mosquito netting the entire thing? it may be financialy viable

Mother nature is what it is, but if one can battle through it, the rewards are very much worth it. My cannabis is planted in a small greenhouse type set up, with a black netting serving as the inner barrier. Aside that I have praying mantises, ladybugs, and routinely spray BT solutions once per week. I also will be deploying a a moth trap come peak flight time #2 (2nd gen.)... but I do like the idea of a more finely closed "mosquito netting", if they want in they'll squeeze their way in though... I'm sure. Just need to have multiple lines of defense and be ready with the ice-pick to get them out of the buds if need be...

Hi lester, I was reading about Minute pirate Bugs and thought you might be interested
Orius insidiosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Orius insidiosus prey on plant-eating (phytophagous) mites and their eggs, various insect eggs,

qand other soft-bodied arthropods such as thrips, spider mites, and small caterpillars.[6]

They also feed on the eggs and new larvae of the bollworm, spotted tobacco aphids, corn earworm, European corn borers (Ostrinia nubilalis),

corn leaf aphids (Rhopalosiphum maidis), potato aphids(Macrosiphum euphorbiae), and potato leafhopper (Empoasca fabae) nymphs.

Just keep hitting them with Spinosad and BT. You'll be alright.

As for BT having an "outbreak" in India, that sounds more like disinformation. BT cannot live in a human stomach its acidic and BT needs a alkaline environment to survive. It also is just a bacteria that is naturally in soil found in many places. Spinosad is similar.

Back
Top Bottom