Awesome little cloner

Shankin

I have seen all the write ups for cloners and have even looked at the price of an aerocloner (and fell out of my chair). I realized that the design I have been using for the last few years still performs as well as, if not better, than many of the high end retail cloners. Best of all, it costs $10 USD to make. I have only lost 1 set of clones (from changing my routine in regards to cloning gel) ever. This simple set up will provide you with 8 to 10 cuts every 10 days. You can add an unlimited number of sites; increasing your output exponentially.
My typical run goes something like this:
1. Take cuts from mother
2. Stick in can
3. Wait 7 days under 2/23 watt 6700k CFL bulbs on a 24/0 cycle
4. Transplant
You cannot get any simpler than that. I DO NOT add cloning get to my setup. Plain tap water with maxicrop seaweed extract is my solution of choice. I mist the plants once a day with the same solution. Simply follow the pictures below and start cloning in less time than it too me to type this out.

Heres what you will need.
DSC010506.JPG

Drill holes (up to 10) in the top of the plastic coffee lid. Be sure to sand down any rough edges left from drilling.
DSC010517.JPG

Insert tubing through one hole in the top of the can and allow enough so the end rests on the bottom of the can.
DSC010527.JPG

Fill can 3/4 full with water/seaweed solution and place cuts in holes. Turn on your pump. Wait 7 days misting daily with the same solution that your cuts are in.
DSC010538.JPG

Shoreline cuts from a true shoreline strain. The only good thing to come from Texas.

The picture below show the root growth achieved in 10 days. Some cuts were taken only 3 days ago and are already rooting very rapidly. Again, I have had bad luck with rooting gel in this set-up but I have only tried it once. You might have better luck with a gel you are already familiar with.
DSC010545.JPG

There is no real need to spend an insane amount of money for the same results you can get for 10 dollars. The pump and hose cost 7 at walmart and the coffee I buy anyway. I hope this saves someone a little money.
Feel free to leave comments or suggestions.

Thats pretty cool man, I really might try something like that. I have decent success with my soil cuttings... But I really want to revamp a good deal, a mini cloner would be great :)

Thanks!

Edit: what kind of pump is that? I've only worked in soil, thanks!

Everything looks pretty good, just wondering how you get the clones out without hurting the roots or cuting the lid.. Other than that good post, pictures help alot. Would give reps if i could. I love cheap DIY stuff

Just cut the lid. If you are a regular coffee drinker, replacing the lid won't be a problem. Otherwise you can pre-cut the lid to the holes and just use tape to hold the lid on. Personally, I never clone in the same can twice since I go through one a week.

Just cut the lid. If you are a regular coffee drinker, replacing the lid won't be a problem. Otherwise you can pre-cut the lid to the holes and just use tape to hold the lid on. Personally, I never clone in the same can twice since I go through one a week.

I don't drink coffee that fast! ;) Besides, I get local coffee that comes in the smaller bags... A different container is in order :)

Thanks for the update on the pump... My lord, there are a lot of neat things you can do with those things! The man who taught me a more intimate way around a flute modifies them to tell leakage out of instrument pads. Leak light? Please... I've always wondered what a saxophone padded by that man would play like...

I'm rambling, and off topic! After this post I'll try to +reps you.. And expect a 5-star rating on the thread! I may be losing some cuttings soon... Of genetics I may never see again. Maybe this little device will prevent such a tragedy in the future.

My idea for this came from a guy in Mexico City. I was there picking up come AG cuts and I asked him to show me his cloning method since the clones I got looked amazing for 7 day old cuts. He showed me a box with 9 coffee cans filled with cuttings @ 15 cuts per can. Powering this was 1 small fish tank pump. I couldn't believe it since up to that point I had been spending insane amounts of cash to clone. Here he was trusting his ultra rare pure AG strain to 20 dollars worth of stuff and producing far better quality cuts that I was getting with thousands of dollars worth of hype. I went home and craiglisted everything and started drinking coffee. I still have the genetics from that AG that would have been gone long ago using my old cloning method.

I hope your cuts pull through. I know how crappy it can be to lose a rare strain. Thank you for the rep sir. The favor is returned.

Stupid Question Time!

Do you just have the hose hanging at the bottom of the solution? Or do you use an air stone?

Are the cuttings stems inside the solution or are they hanging above?

Can these clones be transferred to soil?

Back
Top Bottom