Basil and more Basil!

THsea

Hello my fellow 420'ers!

Welcome to my little thread about basil cultivation! This will be a "learn as we go" thread, since I am pretty new to gardening of any type.

Pictures will come fairly soon, within a day or two.

Basil is second in my book to cannabis as my favorite herb. Its tasty, has many many food applications, smells amazing, and has enough variety to explore and not get bored! Did I mention its healthy? Yea, that too! :)
And guess what?! It contains BCP (beta-caryophyllene, an anti-inflamatory sesquiterpene also found in Cannabis and Black pepper)!

So.. Down to business..

I am now located in the carolina's instead of Hawaii, so the varieties I am growing here are a little different than what I grew before. In Hawaii I had Thai Basil, which is my favorite.

Here I have two packets.. One is a mixed pack that contains Cinnamon, Genovese, Tall Lemon, Lime, Mammoth, and Purple Petra Basils. To be honest the cinnamon variety is the one I am looking most forward to tasting!

The other packet is just a pack of Purple Petra. I bought an isolated one of this for the reason that its color reminds me somewhat of the Thai variety, and I am hoping it has the same wonderful slightly licorice-y flavor (and i dont even really like licorice, so if you are in the same boat, I implore you try it anyway!).

So.. How am I going about it? Well... Here at my dad's place he has Miracle Grow potting soil, so I filled one pot and placed four seeds in different corners a few days ago. They have already germinated and popped out the top soil! One has purple leaves, the other three are green so we will just have to wait til they are mature to find out which they are in particular!

I decided to use this as practice for when I start my cannabis grow, so i also have three little sprouts I just transplanted into a yogurt container tuned into a growing pot. I used the "paper towel" germination technique for these babies. One is a purple variety again. :high-five: These are filled in with other soil as I ran out of the MG soil. It contains a Miracle grow Orchid potting mix for about 2/3's of the container and I mixed in the rest with Jiffy Organic Seed Starting mix. Hopefully it will keep them happy and healthy!

Now this is something I wanted to touch upon.. These little yogurt containers.. It is Chobani Greek Yogurt 16oz. They have a little plastic cover that makes it just like a little seed starting greenhouse! When I realized this I was really excited! Recycling at its best!! I have one more of these containers and will be taking pictures of it before I fill it and start a few more in it.

Since I am new to this I don't know what spacing they need, so this will be experiments.... It says on the packets to space rows a foot apart and seeds in the rows a inch apart. But we will have to see about these little containers...

In the large legit pot, I will leave the four to grow out. However the ones in the chobani will probably be transplanted to their own containers... I kind of think since the containers are so short that the roots will branch horizontally after hitting the bottom.. And I don't want them to be too crowded. I want healthy yummy basil! :morenutes:

What you can expect in this thread is basically.. A basil grow journal, recipes that include basil, and... Well, just stuff in general about basil. Anyone can join in! I am sure there are tons of brilliant growers here that know much more than I about this lovely little plant than I do and I ask and beg you to chime in! :Namaste:

Awesome Odin! Lay me some skin brother! :high-five:

I thought I would chime in on some great uses for basil...

Its AMAZING on sandwiches, I often use it instead of lettuce! It doesn't have that satisfying crunch, but onions or cucumbers will remedy that!!

It is common in Pho, which is a wonderful Vietnamese soup with rice noodles and all sorts of asian cooking like thai curries, salads... I.. Can't seem to find my local cook book, but I will post some actual recipes at some point.

I know it is used in Italian cooking, however I am from Hawaii so don't really know good Italian food.. Just good asian food!

But the best... Number one amazing thing to make with basil... Coconut Basil Lassi/smoothie. It is AMAZING. If anyone ever takes a journey to Oahu, there is a wonderful little local/indian fusion place in Pearl City (that is priced moderately for Hawaii) called the Tandoori Corner.. It isn't the best indian food in Hawaii, but this smoothie they invented... Spectacular, it isn't on the menu, you have to ask for it. They came up with it on accident and the guy there suggested it to me once... Instant favorite!

Awesome! I love Basil. Plant them in a row, about 1 " apart, 5 ' long, about 8" between rows. You will have plenty, thin them by picking the leaves as they get bigger. Let one go to seed in each row, also plant a new row every week, this way you will have basil all season. The roots wont go too deep. I Love Basil. collect seeds by putting a bag over the seed bearing part and cut, let dry , shake plant seeds will fall out, tiny seeds,then plant away or store for later. I love Basil. If u use an area 5' x 5' doood hella Basil!:smokin:

well, I am not planting in the ground.. Just in recycled food containers! :)

Thank you for the information 2J's! Hella basil indeed! Glad you are on board!

When I move into my own place I have some crazy idea's for a herb and vegetable garden.. Not so much what will be in it, but how i am gonna construct my garden bed.. but it's gonna be a surprise for 420mag, i dont wana let the cat out of the bag now! But its pretty ridiculous to say the least... OMM knows how eccentric my ideas tend to be, hahaha!

Gonna try to sleep now... I have been in just the worst funk, its like everything has gone wrong since my girl has left for basic and I moved over here to the south.. I wish it were just being lonely, but there is drama too. Now I remember why I never contacted my family in this state! I really hate fake people.

But 2J's and Odin? You all keep it real! ;)

I'll be putting pictures up when I wake up. :peace:

We'll.. Sleeping was somewhat successful.. Woke up nearly every hour! So I gave at around 1pm... :trance:

So I have the pictures!.. But just realized there is no card reader here. So.. They are on the camera and have no way to get on the compy..

For the second Chobani container I tried to make it into an aerated container by cutting out some of the sides and using the mesh from around a Korean Pear.. It worked worst than bad. Good times. ;)

I may cut up a mountain dew 2liter and use that for another 3 or so plants.. I want to plant a lot from the mixed bag so I have variety to boot..

What type of potting soil would you guys recommend for these babies? I figure when I move I'll prolly use FF happy frog for everything I grow. My dad likes "name brands" so sticks with miracle grow. I.. Do not care for it, especially the type he buys. Its all this orchid mulchy crap.

Smoke2Js Magical Garden. These are old shots, I will have some better ones once the weather clears. I am blessed to live where I do.
IMG_002419.JPG
IMG_002612.JPG
IMG_001521.JPG
IMG_5295.JPG

:smokin:

Hey guys, I found a media card reader! To tired tonight. I have a lot of weird, strange and in general bad things weighing on me and holding me down.

But tomorrow! Tomorrow you will get pictures of my basil plants starting their rise to glory!

I also cut a 2 liter of Mtn Dew in half to make two new pots. I like this form of recycling!
Using trash to bear fruits... er... herbs..

I was seriously considering taking all these 12oz soda cans my dad has, cutting off the tops and putting holes in the bottom and having each one bear one plant, instead of using the two liters to hold 2 or 3 each.. it would take up a lot less space..Do you think that would be enough space for the roots? I think he might complain about my "ghetto" set up.. we will find out tomorrow.. Until then, goodnight 420!

Like I said, here are the pictures!

These are the seeds I am using

theseeds.JPG

The big pot, followed by the plants located at: 12oclock, 3oclock, 6oclock, and 9oclock.

fourinapot.JPG

12oclock.JPG

3oclock.JPG

6oclock.JPG

9oclock.JPG

Now this is the Chobani Container!
thechob.JPG

chob2.JPG

Its a start! I think im going to go ahead with the soda can idea, I can fit a lot more of these plants then. I can fit about 9 on the drain plate for the big pot alone that way. Unless someone tells me its a bad idea...
I want to use containers instead of the yard because my dad has pesticides and other nasty stuff around in his yard...And the soil here sucks!

I'm planning on growing a lot of basil indoors soon! i'm curious as to photoperiods and stuff. i'm going to take my grow tent and put a shelf in there with some T-5's i think,

thai basil, spicy globe basil, and cinnamon basil are my favorites, however you should try lettuce leaf basil! they get leaves about the size of your hand!!! basil is so the shit! i'd put it equal to my other favorite herb as a tie for first place!

I'm planning on growing a lot of basil indoors soon! i'm curious as to photoperiods and stuff. i'm going to take my grow tent and put a shelf in there with some T-5's i think,

thai basil, spicy globe basil, and cinnamon basil are my favorites, however you should try lettuce leaf basil! they get leaves about the size of your hand!!! basil is so the shit! i'd put it equal to my other favorite herb as a tie for first place!

Oh yea! Thai Basil is my favorite! Haven't seen spicy globe, but sounds GREAT! I have Mammoth.. Which is a Lettuce Leaf variety, but not exactly Lettuce Leaf... According to wiki ;)

I was just wondering about this! Here is what I found friend

How to Grow an Herb Garden Indoors Year Round - wikiHow

SpringerLink - Economic Botany, Volume 30, Number 4

Hope this helps! But from all I read it seems it will at least grow with anywhere from 6 hours on up! Mine are where they are in the picture, on the back deck on the railing! Right now they get sun directly from sun up, to nearly sun down, which right now is slightly more than 12 hours.

I wanted to add an update about the plants... The buggers in the little container seem to be doing significantly better than the ones in the big one! :trance: Here is what I think did it...

For the big pot, I simply put four in and let it go...The ones I germed with the paper towel method, I germed a lot and only took the "biggest and healthiest three" of the seeds that popped (all of them popped).

My dilemma on saying that is totally the reason... They are mixed seeds... While I tried to take three of the biggest that looked different from each other.. I have no way on telling wither the small ones were just "weak pheno's" or in fact just smaller, slower growing varieties of basil. :scratchinghead:

I have a total of seven plants going right now. I plan on transplanting them into their homes of soda cans soon. My reasons for this are...

1) I can fit 9 soda cans on the drain plate for the large pot. So space saving.
2) My step-mother wants me to help her clone some heirloom variety rose that is growing next to her shop. I want to use the "big pot" for this.
3) I like the idea of each plant having its own "home". :) I know I would like that! :yahoo:

So.. With 7 already going and room for two more... One will be the purple variety, and the last another mystery! I will be germing about five from the mixed bag, so I know I do not have two purple varieties in for my last "pot". Also, gonna call around to find some OC+ for these things.. Every place I go looking for it is always sold out!

If you are wondering just how I plan to cut these soda cans without ripping them to shreds... I filled them with water, they are freezing now... So it now has a solid core to cut around! I wish I could say that was my first thought.. But after shredding one I got to thinking "there MUST be a better way!".. I don't have metal sheers, so this was my solution. If anyone can think of something better, let me know please!

I plan on starting another thread about the rose cloning. Keep an eye out for it!:peace:

Be cautious with your rose cloning, most roses are grafted onto separate root stocks, the rose you clone (above the root stock plant) may not have the same hardiness or characteristics of the mother plant due to its genetic alterations! also check to make sure you're taking the right rose! if you look at the graft joint near the base of the rose be certain the rose you want is the rose coming from ABOVE the graft and not the rose BELOW the graft as the root stock is typically a "multiflora" style rose or a climbing rose named "Dr. Huey" is a very common rootstock as well and can become very weedy. best of luck!

Still haven't re-potted the basil! Just been feeling "in the dumps".

I'm going to the beach with family this weekend... Never really seen the atlantic ocean before, so this should be fun.. I didn't want to go, but being dragged along! ;)

The cans are ready and all... Just, lazy here! All the plants in the big pot are doing terrible, not only that... A bird came and ate the leaves then pooped on them!:trance: What a jerk!

The three in the small container are doing great. Really great! :partyboy: Big lil' suckers! Gonna transplant when I get back and take pictures... Gonna have to germinate another six when I get back. That will be fun! Okay everyone, take care and see you on monday! :ciao:

Boy wish I would have read this thread sooner.

Basil another gift from mother nature. The sweet, sweet, aroma can fill a room. And I read several times thru the thread about being in the dumps. Weeelll try growing some Lavender. Now I will tell you it is a challenge. I started a lavender grow about 2 months ago, and out of maybe 30 seeds I got 5 sprouts. BUT when they are mature, just the fragrance will change your mood.

Oh And btw I am a Certified Rosarian. My last residence I had 140 roses. So I would be honored to help any one that has questions

whoa, Hammerjack! Thank you! I nearly forgot about this thread! Forgot to update so much.... The basil plants are "alive" but I think are stunted. I think this is because they are in little cans :).

Flowers started while I was away for the weekend, which I had been pulling off as I read that the aromatic oil production stops when flowers come in. Who knows! The plants are now more of a "so I have something to do" project. I am leaving this state by the end of the month, hopefully. Plans fell through.. that is why the "funk" I am in is here.. You know the story, love lost, and all that jazz. Blah blah blah, internet tears. ;)

Good idea on the lavender! Once I get back to Hawaii I will try to grow some. I wonder if it does well in the tropics? Do you know? I know basil does very well there! Probably a little better than here in the Carolina's!

If I can find my camera maybe I will update the pictures of the basil babies. If aforementioned FUNK does not make me a lethargic loser! :peace:

Well ya gave me the itch. I went and looked thru my stash and found 2 packs of seeds my supplier sends when you put in a big order, and a pack of straight regular sweet Basil.The other pack says:
Jung's Balcony Blend
Our own special blend of two dwarf basils well suited for growing in pots or the garden. Includes both large and small leaf varieties that are RICHLY scented and very flavorful. Compact 8-10 inch plants. Cant wait to see what pops up.

Will be no problem hiding another sent here at the Hammer house.

Thank you MOTHER NATURE!

Oh And btw I am a Certified Rosarian. My last residence I had 140 roses. So I would be honored to help any one that has questions

I could use a list of companion plants for roses and plants which are contraindicated.

Possibly in its own thread.

Tortured Soul! Please, share your knowledge on companion plants! It is something I have been reading about off and on... :) Pretty please with kief ontop.. If this isn't a topic thread already, it definitely should be one!

I will be reviving this thread once my airpots get in. This time, genovese or whatever, italian basil! Gotta talk to the nice ladies at the local thai store and see whats up about getting some Thai Basil seeds :) My favorite!

Back
Top Bottom