Basil and more Basil!

Hello all, I'm back in the 808 state... We are slowly (very slowly) putting together a little garden here... I've finally been able to track down some thai basil! The little thai ladies told me "just goto walmart! they have it", I thought they were nuts.. But after checking for a few months, huzzah!

IMG_051611.JPG

Any tips welcome. I'm still a newbie at basil. I've got seeds for some genovese, sweet and... I think a big leaf one. Don't remember what its called.

Shes in a tub leftover from awesome ice cream (buko-pandan)! Using FFOF... I think in my bedding (and pots) I might not use Osmocote+.. There is an island product that is similar called... Island Supreme. Might try it with my mary-jane crop next time around too. Its 16-16-16, with 7 minor elements.

EDITED!!! Not organic, like OC+... I hope it is, or kind of is lol. I'm thinking that all the soil after my grows will be recycled into making the lil' garden. Or it wont happen! The shtuff in the ground is crap. Some parts of Hawaii are pretty amazing soil-wize... Not where I am!!! Its CLAY. Our dirt is red.

Have you tried this:

Slice a tomato into nice thick slices, place a thin slice of gourmet mozzarella cheese on top or cheese of your choice, put basil leaves on top of that and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.....oh so good...

pesto is also good on top of the basil as well. I loves me some basil as well. I am about to go pick some :)

That sounds awesome BPN! Definitely will try it... After I get some tomato harvests!

Figure since I've got some really nice basil plants... I'll take some shots tomorrow and post them. It's not my favorite flavor,but I really love how Greek Columnar Basil grows! Thai varieties are my favorite for taste... But this Greek stuff doesn't flower! So epic! Plus, I've had 100% cutting rate with it.

I have been doing some research on plants that keep away bugs and basil is one of them. It is known to keep away spider-mites and aphids. It is a great thing to have in any garden. I just haven't been able to find out what strain of basil is the most effective. If anyone knows please let me in on the secret lol.
If you like eggplant Parmesan here is a recipe I like to use.
1 egg plant sliced
1 tomato sliced
hoagie rolls
olive oil
fresh Parmesan cheese
and basil
you slice the egg plant as thin as you like it same with the tomatoes . Rub a small amount of olive oil on each slice of the egg plant and tomatoes. Grill them both until the egg plant is slightly soft and the tomato had grill marks. Place the egg plant and tomato on the hoagie roll with a basil like you would lettuce on any other sandwich and add your cheese. You can grill the roll if you want it does taste better when you do.

This is a great Thread! I'll be following it quite carefully as I am currently focusing on Thai Basil.

If you'd enjoy comparing notes; I'll soon be uploading images and information about my Closet Grow tomorrow. I'm currently growing with T5 Sunblasters, and look forward to chatting! I'm looking for ALL feedback. To find this page, visit the Community Grow-Op link below!

Long live the Basil! :cheer:

One up for the sweet basil :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom