Beginner setup, any tips or tricks?

Blimpsious

Hey all, thanks for any insight. First grow and I'm hoping I've got a good foundation to move forward. Here are some pics of what I've got setup. I tried to buy good stuff while being price conscious. Mars Hydro TS-1000 2022 model light, 3x3 Vivosun tent, AC Infinity Cloudline T6 fan with carbon filter. I just transplanted the seedlings today into 7 gallon fabric pots with Ocean Forest. I am using the app for the Cloudline and have set the fan to auto. In the first day I'm seeing temp readings hovering around 70 and humidity about the same. I'm not to sure if I should be trying to up the temp inside the tent with a small heater or not. If anyone has some tips or tricks on what I should be doing I'd greatly appreciate it. I've never tried a grow before and there's so much to take in that it can be overwhelming. I have a PH meter and testing kit that I'm going to play around with tomorrow, and all I have for nutes so far is Uprising grow.

Thank you to anyone who feels like helping a brother out.

20220531_011433.jpg

20220530_172314.jpg

20220530_172258.jpg

20220530_172253.jpg

20220530_172236.jpg

Hey all, thanks for any insight. First grow and I'm hoping I've got a good foundation to move forward. Here are some pics of what I've got setup. I tried to buy good stuff while being price conscious. Mars Hydro TS-1000 2022 model light, 3x3 Vivosun tent, AC Infinity Cloudline T6 fan with carbon filter. I just transplanted the seedlings today into 7 gallon fabric pots with Ocean Forest. I am using the app for the Cloudline and have set the fan to auto. In the first day I'm seeing temp readings hovering around 70 and humidity about the same. I'm not to sure if I should be trying to up the temp inside the tent with a small heater or not. If anyone has some tips or tricks on what I should be doing I'd greatly appreciate it. I've never tried a grow before and there's so much to take in that it can be overwhelming. I have a PH meter and testing kit that I'm going to play around with tomorrow, and all I have for nutes so far is Uprising grow.

Thank you to anyone who feels like helping a brother out.

20220531_011433.jpg

20220530_172314.jpg

20220530_172258.jpg

20220530_172253.jpg

20220530_172236.jpg
Welcome to 420. I can't see the bottoms of your pots. Do you have them raised up on drain pans ? If not, you will want to do this to prevent the pots from sitting in a pool of water & getting Root Rot. I use drain pans with closet shelving for this.
178.JPG

Yes your temps are pretty low for LED lighting. They say 77F is the perfect temp. They are talking about the Leaf Temp & not the Tent Temp. With LED's you have to be somewhere between 82-84F to get a Leaf Temp to 77F. Make sure you water till you get 10-20% Run Off to prevent salt build ups in your soil which will throw your soil pH off. LED's seem to cause a Calcium Deficiency. I use 2 ml. of Cal-Mag per gal. during Veg & 3 ml. during Flower to prevent this. pH your nutes to 6.3. I know someone will come along & say "No Need to pH your nutes growing in Soil". That same person will be the first to ask if you pH your nutes when something goes wrong. pH your nutes just as a safety precaution & you will have less issues. Make sure your pot is completely dry before you water again. Your pot should be as light as the day you planted. There's much more.... but these are your basics that will get you started in the right direction.

I know someone will come along & say "No Need to pH your nutes growing in Soil".
No need to pH in soil if growing organically with microbes. If not, then, yes, it is a good idea.

And, as Buds stated, 70F is a bit too cool. My environment can get down to mid-60's in the winter and the plants slow way down until it warms up.

Ya my pots are on the tray directly so ill grab something to prop them up for drainage. I'll look intobthat Calcium stuff, appreciate the tip. I think part of my temp issue is the AC Infinity pulling in cool air from my basement and extracting it outside. Is it a good idea to maybe put a small heater outside where the air is drawn in? Thanks again for all the help.

Ya my pots are on the tray directly so ill grab something to prop them up for drainage.
And not just for drainage. Having that tent sit on the basement floor is keeping your environment and your soil cooler because of it. You could elevate the entire tent on some sheet insulation to provide a bit of a barrier to the cold.

Is it also a good idea to do 12/12 or 18/6 for the lighting?
You didn't say whether you are growing autos or photos. Auto's won't care about the light but will benefit from more than 12 hours. Photos will be thrown into flower mode as soon as they are mature enough at 12 hours of darkness. So yes, generally 18/6 for most of us in veg and 12/12 for flower unless you grow autos and then it's up for debate.

I have a pallet under my tent. Nutes I use are for veg and another for flower. GeoFlora is the mfg’r. They are listed under the sponsors on this site. Guud luck on your grow.
Or a pallet, lol. That works as well. Just something to elevate the bottom of the tent from the heat sucking cement floor.

And the Geoflora nutes are a great, simple and effective feed. :thumb:

If it is a guud filter, there is no need to vent to the outside. There is no smell. I buy a filter that uses Australian charcoal inside. Right around $50. I’ve stretched mine thru two grows. Smells don’t start til plants are in flower. It looks like there is room above your tent. A pallet should fit underneath.

I do have a nice amount of room above so I can put a pallet under it, good idea thanks. I'm doing non autos, like a bone head I should've started at the noob noob level, but WTF you only live once and I've blown far more money on dumber things. The filter I'm running is australian charcoal, same AC INFINITY brand. I'll post a link to the fan, it's a cheapie off Amazon. Didn't realize it has a rechargeable battery until I accidentally turned it on. I'm going to run a long usb outside the tent for constant power. I'm going to be really focused on getting that temp up, then I'm going to bother members for feeding and watering tips, ya I'm that new at this lol.

Thanks. About 30 reviews for this. Not a fan of USB for constant power. I tried using a small fan blowing over a pan of water with a filter sitting in water. Breeding area for small bugs. RH never got that high. Switched to a small filter free misting humidifier. Boy does that work well. Not on high but still takes the RH to near 60%. Gotta stay on top of that. Only one plant going now. Taking summer off from growing. Maybe. Gas prices may stop our 2nd trip to the north country. If we cancel that August trip, I will be starting new photo periods sooner. Thanks for the info.

I'm doing non autos, like a bone head I should've started at the noob noob level, but WTF you only live once
Nah, autos are not what you want on your first grow, photos are much more forgiving. Once you know what you're doing maybe, but they are more challenging to grow well since the clock is always ticking and there's really no room for any delays. You made the right call.

I'm going to be really focused on getting that temp up, then I'm going to bother members for feeding and watering tips, ya I'm that new at this lol.
Ask away. Lots of friendly fellow growers willing to answer questions and make suggestions.

:thumb:

And not just for drainage. Having that tent sit on the basement floor is keeping your environment and your soil cooler because of it. You could elevate the entire tent on some sheet insulation to provide a bit of a barrier to the cold.

You didn't say whether you are growing autos or photos. Auto's won't care about the light but will benefit from more than 12 hours. Photos will be thrown into flower mode as soon as they are mature enough at 12 hours of darkness. So yes, generally 18/6 for most of us in veg and 12/12 for flower unless you grow autos and then it's up for debate.
My 2x4 tent is up like that. I used bricks & a piece of 2'x4' Plywood. Probably still gets a cold floor because the AC vent is under the tent. Air still blows out though because of how I set it up.

I have a pallet under my tent. Nutes I use are for veg and another for flower. GeoFlora is the mfg’r. They are listed under the sponsors on this site. Guud luck on your grow.
I hear good things about Geo Flora. Haven't tried it yet though. Been using Mega Crop for years.

Back
Top Bottom