Beginner setup, any tips or tricks?

Got the pallet, see what kinda temp increase I can get there. Any other ideas for boosting the temp? Basement is really the only fricken place I have room, and I'm sure the fan exhausting isn't really necessary but I gotta have circulation right?

16540378930465331311210212648321.jpg
Exhaust the warmer tent air into the basement. It should help a little anyway. A small space heater is also an option if necessary. I'd use an oil filled radiator type heater though as it's much safer.

I’ve got an electric heater. If it tips it shuts off. It’s outside the tent, blowing thru the screen lower left. Infinity fan blowing out top right. We had central air installed a year ago. Boy was the basement cold tonight. Tent is in room off of basement. Door shuts to ward off the frostbite.

If it is a guud filter, there is no need to vent to the outside. There is no smell.

you vent to outdoor as much to remove moisture and keep circulation proper as you do for odour.

Exhaust the warmer tent air into the basement. It should help a little anyway.

an excellent way to get black mold all through your house causing thousands of dollars of damage and in some instances getting the house condemned and destroyed.

running anymore than a couple of plants that way will cause issues over time. it may take a few grows but it will happen. far more important in flower than veg, but if you're over four plants in veg it becomes a good idea to vent outdoor as well.

A small space heater is also an option if necessary. I'd use an oil filled radiator type heater though as it's much safer.

the radiator type heaters put out way more even heat. it's a good plan.

you vent to outdoor as much to remove moisture and keep circulation proper as you do for odour.

an excellent way to get black mold all through your house causing thousands of dollars of damage and in some instances getting the house condemned and destroyed.

running anymore than a couple of plants that way will cause issues over time. it may take a few grows but it will happen. far more important in flower than veg, but if you're over four plants in veg it becomes a good idea to vent outdoor as well.

the radiator type heaters put out way more even heat. it's a good plan.
You can get Black Mold from warming up your basement with warm air from an exhaust fan ? Damned, better get rid of the furnace too. It would be drying moisture out. Not adding to it. Now if he was exhausting High Humidity into a cold, damp basement I'd agree with you 100%.

You can get Black Mold from warming up your basement with warm air from an exhaust fan ?

no. you get it by dumping moist air in to it over a period of time instead of venting it out. it cools and then you have a damp cool area perfect for black mold.

Damned, better get rid of the furnace too. It would be drying moisture out. Not adding to it. Now if he was exhausting High Humidity into a cold, damp basement I'd agree with you 100%.

heating stuff up doesn't dry it. the moisture just migrates in to the walls and timber. the stuff always starts from the inside out. once you see it on the surface it's permeated and has been active for quite some time.

old grow op houses are often demolished due to black mold here. even older regular homes get it with frequency here. a lot of basement renovations occur because of black mold, in situations that have nothing to do with growing at all. also there's occasional flooding which will cause it.

in the case of the grow op houses it is intensive growing with no regard for the structure. but the same issues will develop over time to various degrees with improper small scale set ups.

no. you get it by dumping moist air in to it over a period of time instead of venting it out. it cools and then you have a damp cool area perfect for black mold.

heating stuff up doesn't dry it. the moisture just migrates in to the walls and timber. the stuff always starts from the inside out. once you see it on the surface it's permeated and has been active for quite some time.

old grow op houses are often demolished due to black mold here. even older regular homes get it with frequency here. a lot of basement renovations occur because of black mold, in situations that have nothing to do with growing at all. also there's occasional flooding which will cause it.

in the case of the grow op houses it is intensive growing with no regard for the structure. but the same issues will develop over time to various degrees with improper small scale set ups.
I can't see his set up being any worse than the steam from a shower. Heating stuff up does dry it. Otherwise I'd be wearing wet clothes. Moisture, Humidity & Cool Dark Areas create mold. I'm pretty sure if you get the temps hot enough it even kills mold. 1/2 my family is in the Heating & AC business so I'm going to disagree with you on this subject. But I don't want to mess up someone else's thread so let's just agree to disagree & let it ride. Everyone can't agree on everything... right ?

Ya my pots are on the tray directly so ill grab something to prop them up for drainage. I'll look intobthat Calcium stuff, appreciate the tip. Thanks again for all the help.
Very simple, I just put a couple short 2x4's in the pan to lift the pot up a couple inches. Works fine, lasts forever.

I can't see his set up being any worse than the steam from a shower.

washrooms are notorious places black mold develops. i'll go take some pics of the stuff in mine if you like, been fighting it a couple yrs.

Heating stuff up does dry it.

warm air holds more moisture. and air with moisture in it will hold the temp for a greater period. then when it cools, everything gets damp. perfect mold conditions. ever wonder why your lawn is wet in the cooler temps of summer mornings ?

Otherwise I'd be wearing wet clothes. Moisture, Humidity & Cool Dark Areas create mold. I'm pretty sure if you get the temps hot enough it even kills mold. 1/2 my family is in the Heating & AC business so I'm going to disagree with you on this subject

my pops is an hvac engineer and we built hockey rink ice plants and controls for a living. disagree all you like. at some point the water you pump in to the air has to cool and then you got issues

But I don't want to mess up someone else's thread so let's just agree to disagree & let it ride. Everyone can't agree on everything... right ?

sure.

I can't see his set up being any worse than the steam from a shower.

Gee, do you suppose there's a reason why bathroom exhaust fans' duct runs lead outside instead of into people's basements? :rolleyes:

Well I've been experimenting over the past week or so with the heating. First I tried a small electric fan on the right lower left intake. Fan was cheesy, about as tall as a pop tart that borrowed from work. Worked well but I didn't like leaving it unattended. I then borrowed a oil radiator style electric heater, that worked ok but was a energy hog. I think I finally have one though that I'm comfortable leaving semi unattended. Electric, maybe 18 inches tall that I intake on the opposite side of the exhaust. Safely I've been able to be high 70s to 80 degrees. It's been finding a sweet spot for exhaust fan speed and temp. So far it seems like leaving the AC INFINITY on 3 will keep the Temps steady throughout the ligh cycle. I have been shutting the fan off w/ the light, Temps then go to high 60s along with the humidity. I put a humidifier in there that we had, and that seems to work well as long as the fan and heat stay steady.

Here's a pic of what I have going on, still teetering on the proper watering/nut regiment but I did grab some Cal-Mag plus (thanks to the guy who recommended it) I have one plant that I think has some bad genetics or something. Looks like a dwarf, and hasn't really made any progress since settling up the tent.

Again, any pointers you guys have I'm a sponge. I will say it's very therapeutic tending to these gals, look forward to running downstairs as soon as I get home. Thank you all again, appreciate you all giving me some direction.

20220608_231030.jpg

20220608_231024.jpg

20220608_230940.jpg

Here is the progress the plants have made so far. I do have one that maybe you guys can help me with. From the pic you can see it's not holding up, seems to get worse by the day. Same Ocean Forest as 3 other plants in the tent, same watering routine. (PH to 6.5) I moved it to various spots in the tent just in case there was a hot spot or something, but nothing made an improvement. At the seedling stage it was on par with the others, but within days of being in the tent it seemed to start to decline. Tiny little leaves, and the ones that were larger just withered away. I was thinking I should probably get it out, doesn't seem likely to rebound and I'd have a little more room for the other 4 in there.

Thank y'all again

20220612_001530.jpg

20220612_001525.jpg

20220612_001517.jpg

Pretty big pot for a little plant, so my first guess would be a watering issue. How much are you giving her and how are you determining its time to water? Is she getting water when the others do?

The others look good so you're obviously doing things right with them. Color looks off for the mature fans but that could just be the way it comes across in the pic.

Back
Top Bottom