Bio char

816a6f67-7f24-4a13-a636-58bfb7f52033.jpg
A sign that is visible from the street lets neighbors and passersby know that the goals of your garden go beyond just looking pretty.
try marigolds between your hash plants

yip you no it, i love growing, do a good few differant veg
Do you ferment? If not give it a try pretty easy and a nice addition just make sure you ph the water ferment is usually 3.5 to 4.0 when done I use 1 oz of fermentation to 1 gal water about puts the ph right where it needs to be

I use biochar as about 11% of my mix, and some of it gets reused in future grows as old soil makes up about 20% of my mix.

Thousands of years according to scientists. It has its basis in the Amazonian rain forest. The jungle soil is notoriously poor for growing crops despite its ability to produce a jungle. The native people had massive populations they had to feed and they did so by apparently amending the soil with char, human waste and pottery chards.

That soil is still super productive and today they mine it and sell it off as potting soil, and yet it seems to regenerate itself despite the mining, which likely has to do with the microbes.

Research Terra Preta, or "Black Earth." Fascinating stuff. :thumb:

I believe that the bio char has negative ions and the organic material is a positive ion which makes the biochar like a magnet to the organic material not to mention it's so pourous it supplies housing for the nuits and microbes that's why fungal hyphe is important the roots are to BIG to access the small pours of the bio char and that's why you need to charge the char or it'll suck all the nutrition right away from the plant but I say this for other's that might read this.

I believe that the bio char has negative ions and the organic material is a positive ion which makes the biochar like a magnet to the organic material
I've read it is very good for the CEC charge. I really need to read up on that a bit. Doesn’t really matter as I'll continue to use it regardless, but I like to understand the 'whys' of stuff I do.

I've read it is very good for the CEC charge. I really need to read up on that a bit. Doesn’t really matter as I'll continue to use it regardless, but I like to understand the 'whys' of stuff I do.
Dr Ingram explained it good on one of her YouTube videos, well in the way I could understand it anyways

Like molasses,it ok to use when you lack bacteria in your soil because it's a simple sugar but you don't want to keep using it if you have enough bacteria because the other critters like fungi and protozoa need more complex foods as well as the bacteria to feed on One way to tell is A microscope but ph is another way, not as accurate but bacteria prefer a pH of 7.0 and higher where as fungi prefer a lower pH like 6.5 to 7.0. Don't quote me but I think I'm correct in my numbers

Back
Top Bottom