Bit of help with SOG please

alex801

hi guys been a member for a while now, had one succesful grow, and 2 that never got off the ground, today im wanting to ask opinions to help with my next planned grow

1) my grow space has been made bigger 4ftx4ft, now il be running 2x 600watt lights, iv trial ran the lights and temps shouldnt be a problem, anyone think this is too much light for my space?

2) im going to be growing s.o.g going 12/12 from seed, using 6 litre pots, im aware that i could probs yield huge ammounts off maybe 2/3/4 plants in 10 gallon pots but im wanting to give s.o.g a go, how many plants would any one recomend i should attempt to grow in my space, i was thinking 20/25 but witrh the square 6 litre pots i could go as high as 30/35.

Il mainly just be growing for the main cola of each plant. thanks in advance for replys guys, Alex801

Re: Bit of help with s.o.g please?

Unless you've got a stabilized strain with only one phenotype, you might have more joy in growing clones from one mother than in planting seeds. It's no fun realizing that you've got multiple phenos in your SoG and one of them is growing significantly taller than the others - do you top the buds on the taller ones? Raise the lights up away from the shorter ones? Because if you've maxed your plant density, you don't have room for significant (or... any) training.

Which is not to say that you can't have a happy SoG from seed. But it makes picking your strain even more important. You'll want a stable strain instead of a multi-pheno Fn cross. That... or see about transferring about 30 points from your karma account to your luck account.

Or take clones from a mother and be reasonably sure that their growth-patterns will be the same.

Just a thought. It's been years since I did the SoG thing - unless you count the high-density corn plot down the hill, lol - so I'm "rusty" and probably not the best person to be giving you advice. But it seemed like you wanted a reply from someone.

Either way, best of luck on your upcoming grow!

Re: Bit of help with s.o.g please?

I had a very successful grow with that much wattage in exactly twice that space.

TS is correct. In a sea of green you want wall to wall colas. You could grow them in 20 ounce drink bottles, or any number of ways, but you do want to have the exact same height and the only way to ensure that is with clones. Even if you used all the same seeds they are not stabilized (usually) to pull off a successful sea of green. Clones baby. You can make 80 clones or whatever (I have not done the math on your space) but whatever you do, put them next to each other as tight as you can. And be prepared to water them daily because they will become completely root bound in small containers and need a lot of attention. I know someone that did something like this.. He used 20 ounce drink bottles, put them in some kind of container that they is like a crate that keeps them all upright and got a lot of weed off of it. Keep in mind, you are going to be approaching plant numbers that involve federal mandated sentences.

hey tortured soul, thanks for the reply, yea i no exactly what you mean with clones being much better for this style of grow, i am going to hope for a bit of luck this time around, if the inevatble happens and i end up with 50/50, half tall and half short i plan on seperating the plants, tall one side of room and short the other, 2 lights, 1 higher for tall ones and 1 low for the smaller ones...

G-dog, thanks for the input man, focusing on the federal laws side of yor reply..... living in england, no matter wat medical contition i have cannabis is ilegal in any quantity, i am just guna have to be an extra careful boy this time. with 20 plants id probs be looking at a hefty fine+300 hours community service if lucky, if not, 3-6months imprisonment. aim of the game is not to get cought of course lol as for your frends grow, pretty cool that mj can go start to finish in such small pots and achive good yields, could fit soooo many plants in pretty much any space with containers that size

G-dog, thanks for the input man, focusing on the federal laws side of yor reply..... living in england, no matter wat medical contition i have cannabis is ilegal in any quantity, i am just guna have to be an extra careful boy this time. with 20 plants id probs be looking at a hefty fine+300 hours community service if lucky, if not, 3-6months imprisonment. aim of the game is not to get cought of course lol as for your frends grow, pretty cool that mj can go start to finish in such small pots and achive good yields, could fit soooo many plants in pretty much any space with containers that size

Yeah the guy that did that spent a lot of time dialing it in. He worked out which strains could handle it. Not something you work out the first run (unless you just happen to be lucky). I am not even sure if it was an issue of stains in his case as it was phenos. He grew various strains though and had great luck. Not much romance in a business like this. No pretty plants. Just making bud.

But back to the original topic... A sea of green is all colas. You can grow 20 plants this round, find a winner in there, grow her out to be a mother and clone the holy shit out of her. You could probably grow 144 plants in the space you have, in drink bottles, with that amount of lighting, and have some pretty tight colas.

It wouldn't be a problem going 12/12 from seed. they should all only be a main, they will not get very tall, between 1' -3' and you can raise any of the slower ones up to the rest. The big thing would be rooting out males.. You are using two lights so you could also keep the taller plants under one and the shorter under the other... Variety is the spice of life...... think outside the box...:smokin:

G-DOG....... my pots would make there roots feel like theyd moved house to a mantion lol

Be IRIE..... thanks for popping by budy, yea i was hoping they would all stay pretty short, iv picked the strain,,,,, big bang by greenhouse seeds, mainly because i no its a decent enough smoke and according to the seed bank its idealy suited for s.o.g plus the strain has been about a while now, the seeds are feminised and are super cheap £26 foe 10 feminized, bought 30 and got a few feminized freebies:) im just going to check out your profile and see if i can look at your..... nug of the year :) some achivment man

In theory if you are going 12/12 from seed you will skip veg so there shouldn't be any side branching... There are always exceptions to the rule and I have seen 12/12 from seed plants that branched out like a vegged plant. There are a few good 12/12 from seed journals around here somewhere.... Look for them and make sure that is the way you want to go before diving into it.... I don't see why you couldn't remove any branches that showed up... One way to find out eh? :)

hey guys iv tryed finding journels on here for s.o.g, iv used the "search box" using key words... sog... sog grow... 1kw sog grow... all that keeps coming up in my searches is scrog, which obviously is no use to me as the idea with scrog is very few plants with huge amounts of branching, could anyone please point me at a good thread or 2 on this site please? one that would be relevent to me, my seeds are germinating now, 20x big bang-2x sour cream-shark breath-2x amnesia lemmon 2x rouki-ok

Back
Top Bottom