BloomBox Grow #3 - Hawaiian Snow

Ricky Ricardo

Hello fellow growers

This is my grow report for my third grow that I am running at the same time as my grow number 2 Strawberry Haze.

I am in the fourth week following germination, things seems to be going rather well so far.

I am looking for constructive comments, particularly if you have grown this cultivar before. From what I have read so far, this strain seems to stretch (a lot) and might in the long run prove to be a bad candidate for the BloomBox with its limited head room. Live and learn like they say...

If you have suggestion to limit stretching, they are welcomed here :)

DSCF000531.JPG

DSCF000328.JPG

DSCF00129.JPG

DSCF001113.JPG

Grow_Report_3_-_Hawaiian_Snow.jpg

RickyRicardo

Hey guys, hope someone can advice me on how best to manage this.

Made my water change to Veg Week 3 yesterday.

I balanced my water and my Nutes right before transferring the water solution to the Bloombox (see attached Nute schedule for Veg week 3).

PH was 5.32, and PPM 764.

Checked the PH this afternoon, 24h later and PH is now 7.30. Why such a swing?

I just re-calibrated the PH with PH down solution, was this the right thing to do? And is this typical. The last few weeks I had just checked PH when I changed the solution which I assume was a beginner's mistake..

Advice?

Hey guys, here are a few pics of my grow, I am welcoming comments.

Particularly since I have a few yellow blotches, which I am unsure if they are the results of a dormant oil treatment I did (had some mealybugs on house plants not far from my setup so treated everything in the house), or the fact that I initially sprayed with nutes in the morning (I stopped that misleaded attempt at being zealous) or the fact I was not checking my PH often enough and ended up with a 7.6 PH Swing....

Yellow Blotches:
DSCF000329.JPG

Plant Structure:
DSCF000134.JPG

Root Structure:
DSCF000237.JPG

Hey Ricky, I have the same issue with PH in my bbox, of course my seedlings are just 2wks old. I've read around that it might be the rockwool bumping up the PH. I water about every other day or whenever the cubes aren't feeling too moist. How long did it take for your roots protrude beyond the basket? I'll be following your grow. This is a learning experience for sure.

Hi Vapo-eyes, The pics above are at day 34 after the seedling emerged. I would say roots started peeking out of the rock wool around Day 28. I started automatic watering and the air pump around Day 21.

Interesting concept about the rock wool. I will soak some in water over a few days and monitor the PH next time I must use some... Would explain why some people prefer to use the clay balls.

Got some pics of your grow? What strain are you growing?

Hi Vapo-eyes, The pics above are at day 34 after the seedling emerged. I would say roots started peeking out of the rock wool around Day 28. I started automatic watering and the air pump around Day 21.

Interesting concept about the rock wool. I will soak some in water over a few days and monitor the PH next time I must use some... Would explain why some people prefer to use the clay balls.

Got some pics of your grow? What strain are you growing?

Yes, got some pics, will update this weekend, its under 'newbie grow with a bloombox' doing papaya and himalayan gold. I just picked up the latest issue of Skunk mag and The Rev had a how to in there in regards germination and seedlings, I will post the rockwool tip later tonight or tomorrow. Think I will give it a try when my babies move over to flower. I want to have a gold mother to clone next go round.

The Rev says his method (prior to him going organic) keeps the rockwool from upping the ph to 7+ which is exactly what is happening to me. I think he used mineral water and a certain amount of apple or some kind of cider. He's a seed breeder so I figure he has the scoop. I think I saw it in the forums here as well, the issue with rockwool and the high ph.

Move to flowering

Hey Guys, moved my gals to flowering, after taking one cuting on each to start new clones in the hope to get some mothers started.

Hope the clones will take!

Photos soon, they look a bit sad now that I toped them off...

Thanks Quantuman, how much did Hawaiian Stretch during the flowering phase?

BTW I see that you have grown Arjan's Strawberry Haze before, how was the smoke on that? I am also growing one of those as well...

Sorry to hear from your misfortune, what happened?

Any grow advice on either of these? The Strawberry is very compact with nice fat leave while Hawaiian is much more hairy and growing tall. Quite interesting to see how both are growing differently!

Rick

Bubble Bath?

Ok, so this morning I check my PH like usual and realize that it has peaked at 6.4 overnight from 5.6 12 hours before.

Also, it looks like the solution has turned into that sweet looking, foamy stuff. It looks like a cross between sugar syrup and a bubble bath. Not unlike what Carbo-Load looks like actually.

Anyway, any experienced Advanced Nutrients users could tell me if this is normal or anything unusual going on?

And please guys, if you see this as an opportunity to bash AN, please don't, I am looking for constructive comments.

Here is my nute line up:
Grow_Report_2_-_Strawberry_Haze.jpg

Hi Ricky, last weekend I decided to just flush the heck out of my rw cubes, I got RO water and brought the PH down to 5.5 and ran my system constant drip for about half the day, emptied the res and loaded it with 5.5 RO water and nutes. It took a lil over 24hrs for the ph to jump past 6.5 again. Prior to that I would check it 2x a day and have to lower it both times. Not sure if it is coincidence but just throwin it out there.. I plan on going with the clay balls next time or trying the Revs method with the lil rw cubes before starting. The ph thing with rockwool kinda sux.

Hey Vapo,

I contacted BC NorthernLights and they told me that there were two factors, first the plants will uptake the nutes which changes the chemistry of the water and will affect PH. Second, the rock-wool have a tendency to raise the PH and to soak them up in 5.3 PH or lower to neutralize that capacity.

Currently, I am checking it twice a day and it bumps up by .1 to .3 between each time, seems the big spike was just at the start. I will keep experimenting with the rock-wool before investing in the bio balls as I don't fancy recycling and sterilizing them.

Also solved the heat problem, my BF was storing his hockey bag on the top of Bloombox, which acted as insulation and kept all the heat from the lamp in the box...

Ah, thats right, you have to sterilize before reusing the bio balls, suck, not huge on mucking with that. I have alot of rw as I got the royale pack so will do the same, soak them mugs in low ph water longer before sewing the seeds. Hockey bag on top, that would do it, especially if you have the big light running. I'm moving mine over to the big chamber next week. Good luck with your grow.

Back
Top Bottom