Breaking Brix: Buck's DIYs

So I just got this trailer right. Total white trash for the next year or so. Never had one. So each one has a seperate meter that goes to the main lines and then it goes to the main lines. Now I hooked up my chop saw one day. Just moved in. 50 amp jensco running the box. They are old but I love those breakers. Anyways. My "trailer" is hooked up with a four prong. Neg, pos, and no ground. Put in the chopsaw and it blew my whole house. It had a rattling negative bar so it shorted my oven and my heater. I'm arguing with this old man telling me that the pos had to ground out. Yea,, duh. So wouldn't have jumped to that ground wire that was not on the four prong? "No, cuz there is no main ground wire,,, and you just need to stick to wiring houses. You do not understand these older systems. If there is no main ground it will jump to everyone's else's system." Yea, I get that. I know that. So I couldn't just be all... you need to tell thim how unsafe this is and get it fixed. That ground wire would have saved my place and possibly caught someone else's house on fire, but I measeured it. I was at 13 amps combined on 3 different cirucuits.

It's hard to type out and explain. But basically... I can not make my house safe, because it would be intent to cause others harm. Rather than me fixing my place and the blame being put on the park for them being unsafe to everyone. My mom got pissed and sent a letter to every homeowner. Had two friends out here, contractor friends just to back me up. Didn't matter. Unsafe is fine as long as it's the law. Lame.

If you didn't get that part of the joke lol. Yes. I am 45 and my mom is sending messages to all of the school children about the safety of the electrical in the trailer park. She's 75. She can do that right lol? She's putting in the plastic pieces in the outlets so children to not get shocked.

Yea.. electrical is just as bad as taking someone out shooting. I can stand up drunk at the range. Yet that rifle or pistol is just as deadly as electrical. Completely wasted (I mean buzzed off too many beers) yet am dealing with tons of amps that will kill you. I wouldn't let anyone else touch it. Anyways, same at the range. I'm pulling the action back three times, checking for round in chamber every time I pull the action. Just the way I was taught. You got people saying I don't want my child to be around guns. I understand that. But I'm not going to throw my son out on a boogie board and not let him know that there are sharks out there and you need to be prepared for them. My point is... No matter the situation I would like to give as much information on whatever topic it is for people to be safe. Sometimes I cross the lines, but it's because I know the rules.

Oddly enough, another analogy came to mind. Food.

I've never been worried about working on live household lines, 120v, 15amps. No biggie. You get a shock, you learn - it's good stuff, like you say. And then you learn HOW to break the rules. You shouldn't be doing it but you know how to do it so there's no difference.

That same thing happens cooking food for other people. There are rules most people don't know about. Lotsa rules. They're irritating. So some kitchen workers skip 'em. But you have to know how. You have to know why the rules are there.

So, people are nervous about the guy across the restaurant who seems to be carrying a fuggin GUN for chrissakes ... while they eat whatever some schmutz hands 'em. :hmmmm:

So I was known as the guy to fix yours gun. I was basically ripping them apart and trying to show the large farmers here how to be legal. They wanted to protect their property yet didn't know how to work a firearm or what is legal. This one is funny but not at the same time. So this guy shows up at my house right. Haven't seen him in like two years. It's like midnight. He's all... can you fix this. I just got it. I look at it in my doorway to a black plastic AK amd we are talking right in public. I'm all dude, are you serious? He's all it doesn't work. So I pull the action on it, doesn't move right. I'm like man, you have to swear on your life right now that the serial number is in your name. He's all. I just want to know how to make it legal and follow the laws. So finally I was all. Ok, let's start from the beginning. This is Califonia. I need to know whether or not it is pre-ban. Oh.. and by the way, the fifty round drum and the two 40 rounders are illegal. If you take them apart they are just parts. Then, because of this debaucle. I took the barrel off cuz I don't want firearms around in Cali with Marijuana. I try to follow the law. So I had the keys to my friends house. Couldn't get a hold of him for days. Finally he's all what the heck.. what's the problem. At that point I was all.. uh, nothing, ak barell underneath your matress. Anyways. You guys/gals got that story.

The other day. My roommate chick had an infection. Had to get her some penicillan. She's all, why are your medical supplies next to your gun parts. She didn't get the joke I said. I'm all.. well, I got a put a hole in you first before I can patch you up. I think I have more medical shit than anything. Probably go to jail over the drugs I got in that bag. The weird real stuff. Adrenaline. Lythium. All kinds of crap.

What's your voltage on 6 panels? Any chance you're over? How many volts per panel?

What's your voltage on 6 panels? Any chance you're over? How many volts per panel?

36. I went off every panel, but looking at everything upside down.. plus remember that my panels don't have the pos and neg signs on them.they are your panels.

Been there, T-shirt, etc. :hmmmm::)

Wait ... wha? Mine were marked. Yeah, I wired one backwards in the series string, so, no go until I figured it out.

So, 216 volts. You can drive 'em with up to a 2100, so yeah, should work.

Again, wait a sec. My boards are 16s x 8p. They run at 48 volts. But you said that the math worked on another driver?

At 48 volts, six of them are drawing 288 from the driver ...

I think you may be too close to the limit to get away with 6 panels. The 480-1750 gives you 274 volts to work with. That's 45.67 each (for 6)

The 240-1750 gives you 143 volts - that's 47.67 each (for 3).

You may be at the edge. If they're drawing 46 volts, the driver isn't stable and has to throttle back on the amperage. I learned on Fanleaf's thread that you can't mess with the voltage limit - it's for real.

That's why I asked. It seemed like the driver was behaving that way ... delivering less current. It's unstable past 274 volts.

If you cool 'em down, they might drop back into range ...

You can definitely fiddle with the dimmer and see if you can get the voltage down and the amperage up ...

I think you may be too close to the limit to get away with 6 panels. The 480-1750 gives you 274 volts to work with. That's 45.67 each (for 6)

The 240-1750 gives you 143 volts - that's 47.67 each (for 3).

You may be at the edge. If they're drawing 46 volts, the driver isn't stable and has to throttle back on the amperage. I learned on Fanleaf's thread that you can't mess with the voltage limit - it's for real.

That's why I asked. It seemed like the driver was behaving that way ... delivering less current. It's unstable past 274 volts.

If you cool 'em down, they might drop back into range ...

You can definitely fiddle with the dimmer and see if you can get the voltage down and the amperage up ...

See... you brainfart as much as I do.Dude remember it was the 480 that was the problem. they are drawing 36 volts. Your so awesome. You have the real knowledge. Then forget what we were talking about. Love you brother... too funny. Remember I had 8 ver's hooked up to the 480. You gave me the math going.... dude hook up seven and it should run an it did. You saw my plants. The 1750 was running fine. Why I said I was getting 80 watts per panel. I just have a problem with that 480 for some reason. Too big running too much if you get what I mean. If everything is correct, I should be at 80 watts per panel now maxed out. Remember how I told you I was only going for 50 and you told me that would suck. I agree with you now and wish I had three more. Who doesn't want a 12 pack lol.

Back
Top Bottom