Bubble Hash: First Attempt

Calvados

Spoiler alert: I am not good with my hands and I’m not that good at following directions.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos and took the plunge. I bought the series of nets off of eBay for not a lot of money. They are about half the size of the ones in the video. I compensated by using a much bigger bucket (joking but not really). I left the last bag off, because the guy in one of the videos seemed to think it wasn’t really needed. I think I misheard him. So to start I think the steps are:

1) Weigh what you are going to use. Didn’t even think of that.

2). Make up a bucket of water with lots of ice. Dump the pot in the series of bags. Throw some more ice and water in with the pot (top bag). Agitate in the bucket for a minute or two and then stir the pot around with a ladle for a while. I did this for about 20 minutes. Pull the bag with all the weed out. Squeeze out the water and put to the side. I think I made a big mistake here.

3). Spoon out what’s on the bottom of the next bag in the series. Stick on to a nylon strainer with some paper towels underneath. Smash it down with the spoon. Move it over to some cardboard. Label the bag number next to the hash. Repeat.

That’s as far as I’ve gotten.

I understand you are suppose to do the whole process again with the pot in the bag. I read that after I’d already thrown it out. Apparently you will get the same amount as the first run. Is that true? The first bag was 190 and had nothing much in it.

Any advice on how to dry this would be appreciated. I’m going to leave it in a dark closet for a couple of days, and then chop it up a bit. It smells awesome.

Yeah I often get about the same amount from my second run. Oh well, live and learn.
I think you’ll probably lose a bit of hash if you leave it to dry and get stuck on the cardboard. I usually put it on a plate then stick it somewhere warm to dry. It’s better if it mostly dries within two or three days. If it dries very slowly and sits wet for too long it can take on a sort of fermented smell. Probably not an issue with small amounts like that.
The 190 micron bag is just a strainer bag for plant material, same as the 220, and you’re not meant to keep what’s in it.
I normally use the 120, 75, and 45 micron bags and skip the 25 micron one.
More often lately I skip using the bags at all and just strain out the waste material, let the trichomes settle for a couple hours, then siphon off the water. That also works fine and you don’t need bubble bags.

Yeah I often get about the same amount from my second run. Oh well, live and learn.
I think you’ll probably lose a bit of hash if you leave it to dry and get stuck on the cardboard. I usually put it on a plate then stick it somewhere warm to dry. It’s better if it mostly dries within two or three days. If it dries very slowly and sits wet for too long it can take on a sort of fermented smell. Probably not an issue with small amounts like that.
The 190 micron bag is just a strainer bag for plant material, same as the 220, and you’re not meant to keep what’s in it.
I normally use the 120, 75, and 45 micron bags and skip the 25 micron one.
More often lately I skip using the bags at all and just strain out the waste material, let the trichomes settle for a couple hours, then siphon off the water. That also works fine and you don’t need bubble bags.
could you explain a little more of doing it without the bags?
how do you siphon the water off?
and do you get the same yeilds as with bags?

Trichomes are heavier than water and sink to the bottom. So really all you need to do is go through the first couple steps of making bubble hash. Agitate with ice and strain out the unwanted stuff, then just let what’s left sit for a couple hours. There will be a layer of hash settled in the bottom of the container. Then you have to siphon off the water as much as possible, and dry what’s left.

My yield is actually about 30% higher without the bags. The overall quality is a bit lower. But definitely not 30% lower. My best guess is the settling method collects a lot of broken fragments of trichomes which the bags don’t catch.
So I can take the leftover water from making bubble hash with the bags, and get a bunch more of lower grade hash by letting the water settle.
There are pros and cons. It’s still just as much work. But it’s a great way to easily make hash on a small scale.

It’s something I used to do in the 90’s when all I could find was heavy indica weed that made my eyes bleed and brain short out. I’d make it i it hash which for some reason I tolerate better.

I made a tutorial on doing it small scale in one of my journals. I’ll dig up a link to that. I keep meaning to do a longer post or separate thread on it- just been lazy. I have to do a small run of hash very soon, so might make another attempt at a DIY thread.

Lately I’ve been using it for larger batches using 1 - 2 pounds of bud and trimmings.
Here’s that link.

Simple ice hash method

ive done 3 runs with bubble bags and water and one with bubble bags and dry ice. I have to say that the dry ice method to me is by far the best and the easiest with little clean up . You just need a large(darker) surface to shake it over ..the draw back to the dry ice method is that you only use one bag so all grades from that bag down are mixed and you can over do it , meaning get plant material in it if you are paying attention much like in bubble if you use a drill and over churn your plant material .

Yeah from all I’ve heard dry ice is the way to go.
There’s no dry ice available where I am and never will be so I’m stuck with what I’ve got. :)
well if there is ice cream where you are at ..there is dry ice ..sometimes you just need to know where to look ….I have found it several places here in the US the most surprising was actually in Walmart .

The nearest Walmart is 1.5 days travel from here. There are no big box or chain stores like that and I don’t know that there’d be any market for dry ice here. From my understanding it sublimes into gas at a pretty fast rate, unlike ice cream

check out the video of the fella making dry ice with a fire extinguisher,, co2 one perhaps,, quite an educational video,, ha

heya friends,,

weaselhead hash,, great stuff,, just as weaseley says

reading this inspired me to do up my trimmings into some weaselhead hash,,

cheers

Yeah from all I’ve heard dry ice is the way to go.
There’s no dry ice available where I am and never will be so I’m stuck with what I’ve got. :)
check out dryicedeliverd.com its says they deliver ANYWHERE IN THE STATES and they recommend by the blocks and they will put enough dry ice in the package to make sure you get what you ordered.

I’m a loooooooong ways away from the states though.... In one of those other countries :)

well, actually,, drive up the road a bit,, you can see it

I’m a long ways away from the states though.... In one of those other countries :)
i forgot Walmart isn't just in the states ...its taking over the world ..

I do it about the same way, I use the 8 bag system 5 gal bags in a 5 gal bucket, you need 2 buckets, I put all the bags in the one bucket which can be a bit of a pain to get them in, add some ice then some super cold water then some fresh frozen trim more ice more trim and more cold water, I use about 4 to 5 ounces of trim. Stir with a wood spoon or what ever for about 15 to 20 min, let stand for 10 min pull the bag with trim place in a 3 gal bucket, iuse a 3 gal bucket also I then put this in the freezer to keep cold pull the rest of the bags one at a time and collect the hash with a spoon then place on a mesh screen with a paper towel to soak up the moisture. I only save the hash in the 90 micron down to the 25, rince out the bags as you go . Then place the bags into the second 5 gal bucket take the trim bag from freezer place inside bucket with other bags and dump the water in from the first bucket and repeat. I only run it twice.Once complete I place the product in a shoe box mark which micron it came from and let dry this way it keeps all the hair etc. from sticking to it let dry for about 4 days, then enjoy.

I use 160 as stater bag, along with a 45.. then siphon water after sits for 5 or more hours... Second run is worth doing...

I just lost a crop and turned the lot into bubble hash and it was literally the strongest thing I've ever smoked.
Put my old man and my dealer into comas after I snipered them saying it wasn't that strong so they loaded them. Was a glorious day lol.

What I done was dust up all the weed.
Stuck it in a big bucket of ice water and stir for half an hour.
stick it in the bags and let it sit for 10.
blast it with maybe a hundred litres from the tap.
then scrape the hash off the bottom bags and repeat. I found I could do it 3 times per batch. No4 was pointless.

got about 2oz back from 3-400g of fucked, Revegged, straggly, nasty lookin but frosty as hell buds.
work out what it cost me for the grow and my hash cost me like 400 quid an oz lol. Raging but at least it was awesome :)

Back
Top Bottom