Bud Bananas? - 4 weeks into flower

xtrchessreal

I wonder if anyone can explain what this is? Does not appear to be male pods - as I just went through a hermie scare on a diff strain in same room. These release no powder or pollen. These are found at the base of the bud, embedded with the bud, looks like bananas, come in sets of four connected at center, easily dislodged by brushing a pencil tip or knife tip across them. Has me worried - First grow 12/12 HPS Acapulco Gold in Happy frog, 3 gal pots, providing bat guano tea, molasses, and occasional magnesium sulfate. Feed nutes and then feed H-Peroxide to fight gnat larvae. Good circulation, inside fan, and exhaust fan.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

:peace:X
DSCN7154.JPG

I think I found the origin of this term "Specious Staminate Flowers" in the above link.

Specious is another way of saying false or fallacious and is not related to the word species.
Staminate, having stamens but no pistils. A stamen is the part of a flower that produces pollen.

So the term 'Specious Staminate Flower' is the same as saying, "A flower part that looks like a stamen but it is not."

Weedguru Higher posted this in 2010 and expanded on RellikBuzz from Breedbay, written April 5 2008. This particular term shows up in the section about Hermaphroditic Cannabis. The same quote shows up on multitudes of websites but the link I provided seems to be where everyone is quoting from without knowing it. As a scholar I feel it is important to note the source of the information.

I researched these little Bananas, some call Nanners and BTW they should not be called bananas or 'nanners because that is associated with a Pollen sac aka Male Stamen of cannabis. These are definitely not stamens. They apparently can show up late in bloom and make you think you have a hermie but this is not the case. They show up embedded in the female flowers and supposedly do not drop pollen. The ones I found on my plant do not have pollen inside them. They also do not have the usual male petals around them and they do not hang on very thin fibers like you would normally see on a male flower. I would like to know where I can get serious literature on this subject to be certain.

If anyone can provide that I would appreciate it.

I called them Bud Bananas and they are on random sparse points of growing female bud of my Acapulco Gold. This plant from seed is 142 days old yet only 30 days into bloom, already yellowed, and has an 8" cola and many branches with 3" to 4" bud on their tip.

I wonder if the long veg cycle had these babies ready to pop quick and if the overall age is a factor for these so call Specious Staminate Flowers?

Thanks for any help.

would love to comment but is beyond the scope of my skills.
it may take a while for someone with the correct knowledge to notice your question, so please be patient.

often you will either get an army of noobs responding with google hits like the word of god, or you may see lots of views and no answers.

ill add this question to my sig so it gains exposure to the crowd =)

would love to comment but is beyond the scope of my skills.
it may take a while for someone with the correct knowledge to notice your question, so please be patient.

often you will either get an army of noobs responding with google hits like the word of god, or you may see lots of views and no answers.

ill add this question to my sig so it gains exposure to the crowd =)

Thanks for the exposure, I know its one of those subjects that really needs a very experienced answer.

To all looking these are not pollen sacs or stamen, there are no opened male petals surrounding these, no tiny threads they dangled from, they are stiff and have no powder inside, they are connected at the center in groups of four, embedded with the female flower/bud, in random areas around the flowering plant.

I'll try to get a clearer pic.

These are falling off the plant when lightly brushed, I found a few on the floor since I originally posted.

Thanks or the help

Well I can't find any real (science reports) info anywhere. I spent many hours just looking around and pulling these off when I see them. They practically fall off like a dead leaf, very few have held on with any grip. They all seem yellow to green and under developed as a stamen. I put one that was dried out days later under a microscope and ruptured it intentionally just to see and sure enough there is a powder that looks like pollen inside after all. None of these were dropping powder on leaves below like you would see in a Male flower situation. Further the powder seems dark like it is dead.

No other signs of pollination are present e.g. red pistil hairs, enlarged calyx, or seed formation.

I checked for light leaks, my room is so dark I see those weird plasma floating things in my eyes and can't tell if my eyes are open or closed after like 15 minutes or more, very disorienting, and I am only feeding water now. I dunno, maybe experience is what I am missing here.

Thanks again

>>> I put one that was dried out days later under a microscope and ruptured it intentionally just to see and sure enough there is a powder that looks like pollen inside after all.

Seems very interesting and by all means I am no expert on this discussion but I do have a thought. Maybe the formation of these 'bud bananas' have nothing to do with added stress on the plant. I was thinking, maybe these are late signs of 'hermie' characteristics in you particular strain. How well and accurate can we say a seed distributor keeps track of millions of the same seed all in different categories of 'feminisized' and 'regular seeds'. Perhaps it could be a slight deformity passed along the generations it took to produce this strain. Just some thoughts ;) AG

Interesting a buddy just had "nanners" around week 4 of flower he was saying it was hermie due to heat and simply picked them off as they arose. He got no seed at all, maybe this is what he had? I did not get a close look at his so cannot comment but interesting none the less.

This is entirely possible and I've read such stories too. The thing is though is that once I see nanners on a plant I lose a lot of confidence going forward. Everyone will have to deal with it as they see fit or ar comfortable with. Seeing a few nanners very late in the grow is one thing but half way through flower? No good, IMO.

>>>The thing is though is that once I see nanners on a plant I lose a lot of confidence going forward.

From your experience have these 'nanners' ever opened up and pollinated your plants late in the grow?

Has it personally happened to me, no.

Has it happened to many many many growers, yes.

If I see nanners and I got multiple other plants Imma pull that nanner plant right away so i dont lose the entire grow potentially.

>>>If I see nanners and I got multiple other plants Imma pull that nanner plant right away so i dont lose the entire grow potentially.

In your opinion (growing less than 4 plants, lets say 6-8weeks into flowering) would you straight out cut the plant down or just move it into an isolated grow space from the other ladies?

If you see nanners at 8 weeks then just flush it and harvest. I mean it was basically ready anyways.

6 weeks, its up to you to either do:

1. carefully pick nanners off 3 times a day every single day.
2. just harvest it

I dont really recommend moving it to a new spot because the pollen will still travel around, get on you get on other plants, pollenate itself and everything. You might not have as much pollen hitting plants as if it was right there but it will still happen.

Oh definately the chance of it being a genetic trait and having a continued problem but hard to rule out without prior experience with othis particular strain so ensuring it is not environmental stresses is the best place to start. And no ptobaby not good stock to continue with if all environmentals are in good check.

Just curious are your temps high?

I monitor them with temp probes at the ceiling and the floor of the room. The monitors have min/max data saved the upper probe maxed at 84 F and min was 75 F however the max was due to a brief moment I had to remove a hermie plant and shut off the fans. It normals around 80F max and 74/75F min. The floor probe normals max around 75 F and 69 F at night. The exhaust fan comes on twice at night to remove humidity and constant on during daylight.

Back
Top Bottom