Bud Washing

This may not be everyone elses experience, but I've tried bud washing a couple times, and I was very unsatisfied with the results. Used the H2O2 and lemon juice recipe. In both cases it definitely changed the texture of the buds, and seemed to make them more airy, it also killed the smell/terpenes.

Used the H2O2 and lemon juice recipe. In both cases it definitely changed the texture of the buds, and seemed to make them more airy, it also killed the smell/terpenes.
I use the H2O2 rinse and then the baking soda and lemon juice rinse method and have noticed something similar. Often the harvest looses some of the smell though I have not noticed a change like the buds became more airy. But, the loss of terpene odor and the buds not being as sticky does come up a lot in discussions on bud washing.

Starting to think that terpene and sticky loss are related more to the plant age and condition before the wash and not a direct result of the washing itself. The longer I keep the plant in flower the more likely the terpene smells will be lost but often they do return after awhile.

If the plant is harvested 8 to 9 weeks after the stigma/pistils start to appear and show that flowering has begun the less likely I will lose the odors that many are looking for. I have to admit that I notice the citrus notes are reduced and the new odor is more interesting and flavorful. One recent plant, 8 weeks of flower, smells like brown sugar and chocolate cake. Another one harvested at 8 weeks still has some citrus notes combined with champagne like a strong smelling Sunday brunch Mimosa.

And, the longer the plant is flowering the more likely the bud color will change and darken.

Maybe try harvesting earlier, while mostly milky, without waiting for the amber and seeing whether that makes a difference.

It's doubtful I'll try it again unless absolutely necessary. The only reason I did it in the first place was I had a couple minor thrip issues and used DE, which worked well, but it needed to be washed out. Some of the plants I washed were in the milky stage, others were milky-amber. IMHO, the outcome was the same. Tent has been empty for a couple months, and I've sprayed it with pyrethrin twice, washed the grow bags, and used new soil, so hopefully no more thrips!

Nice! Fantastic looking buds.

You're not going to regret washing....please let us know your impressions on your first enjoyment of it!
Why when I wash does it make my buds taste damp and not like weed ?
man I doing somthing wrong did I not have enough airflow ?
was a few buds I put in a shoebox to dry and cure like I always do when it’s only a few buds (vs my extraction room) early glamour harvest

Why when I wash does it make my buds taste damp and not like weed ?
man I doing somthing wrong did I not have enough airflow ?
was a few buds I put in a shoebox to dry and cure like I always do when it’s only a few buds (vs my extraction room) early glamour harvest
How you dry after you wash should probably change from before because you're starting with much wetter flowers. I try to drive as much moisture from the buds as I can in the first 24 hours and then go back to a slower hang dry.

I try to hang for a week and then burp for two more as I slowly bring them down from the high 60s RH to 62%. Three weeks before I seal mine up at 62 for the cure.

I know this has been asked and discussed countless times, but if you'll please indulge me, what's the current safe recommended amount of 3% Peroxide to water? I have a wonderful crop with some aphids and unless it rains before I harvest, I'd like to use the peroxide in the first bucket.

I've also had very mild bud rot and gotten rid of it. I'm just looking for a safe, but effective, solution of food quality 3% peroxide with water in the first bucket to rid me of the nasty stuff but leave my terpene's intact.

Thank you.

^ Check out the top of this page. ^

"I use 1 part of 3% H2O2 to 3 parts room temperature water. One pint H2O2 to 3 pints water comes out to half a gallon and that is enough to cover what I end up with on a harvest of one of my clones. All I am trying to do is get rid of spores from mildews and molds. If it kills an insect or two then it is a bonus."

:Namaste: :cheesygrinsmiley:

^ Check out the top of this page. ^

"I use 1 part of 3% H2O2 to 3 parts room temperature water. One pint H2O2 to 3 pints water comes out to half a gallon and that is enough to cover what I end up with on a harvest of one of my clones. All I am trying to do is get rid of spores from mildews and molds. If it kills an insect or two then it is a bonus."

:Namaste: :cheesygrinsmiley:
I use 5-gallon buckets. You are saying to use about 1 1/2 gallons of 3% and 3 1/2 gallons of water? That sounds like a lot of peroxide, but guess I don't remember how diluted the 3% is.

I use 5-gallon buckets. You are saying to use about 1 1/2 gallons of 3% and 3 1/2 gallons of water? That sounds like a lot of peroxide, but guess I don't remember how diluted the 3% is.
Ok, well here's the guy who first started doing it. The math is 1 peroxide to 3 waters. So if you need to fill your bucket with a full 5 gallon, you'll need 5 quarts = 1 and 1/4 gallon. Or 1 gallon of peroxide + 3 gallons of water = 4 gallons.

Bud Washing

Mix up enough to get the job done. I cannot think of any reason why you have to use enough water and H2O2 to fill a 5 gallon bucket if you do not need that much.

Plus, if you put in enough of the mix to come out to 5 gallons and put it into a 5 gallon bucket there will probably be only about an inch or two of free space at the top. Then adding in enough buds to justify using all that H2O2 and water would probably cause the bucket to overflow. Even if it did not the swirling around and other actions to wash the buds will cause a messy situation as the water splashes out of the bucket.

In the msg at the top of the page I am using a 2 and 1/2 gallon bucket and the 1/2 gallon of mix is enough to take care of the buds from a typical 1 or 2 clone harvest from my perpetual grow. If I have 4 clones being harvested I would consider doubling the amount.

I know this has been asked and discussed countless times, but if you'll please indulge me, what's the current safe recommended amount of 3% Peroxide to water? I have a wonderful crop with some aphids and unless it rains before I harvest, I'd like to use the peroxide in the first bucket.

I've also had very mild bud rot and gotten rid of it. I'm just looking for a safe, but effective, solution of food quality 3% peroxide with water in the first bucket to rid me of the nasty stuff but leave my terpene's intact.

Thank you.
I haven't found that washing in diluted 3% H2O2 has any effect on aphids or any other pests. These days I spray my plants down with Dr Bronners unscented castille soap (4Tbs/gallon) the day before I harvest. Then I wash in plain water to get the soap and dead bugs off.

Nice to see this thread is still relatively active. I'm close to harvest and I need the ratio for the buckets

1 part H202 3% to 3 part water

Does anyone know the ratios for baking soda and lemon juice?

I'm sure there in here somewhere, but it's a very long thread. From memory DocBud changed the method a bit from his origninal post.

Nice to see this thread is still relatively active. I'm close to harvest and I need the ratio for the buckets

1 part H202 3% to 3 part water

Does anyone know the ratios for baking soda and lemon juice?

I'm sure there in here somewhere, but it's a very long thread. From memory DocBud changed the method a bit from his origninal post.
I didn't look it up, but it's just a 1:1 ratio. Doc reduced the original amount. IIRC a half cup of each, per 5 gallons, should be enough. I use about 1/6 cup in a kitchen sink.

I didn't look it up, but it's just a 1:1 ratio. Doc reduced the original amount. IIRC a half cup of each, per 5 gallons, should be enough. I use about 1/6 cup in a kitchen sink.
Yep! 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup......or something along those lines.....equal parts baking soda and lemon juice for the wash in a 5 gallon bucket. You really can't mess up. Just wash it clean in the final bucket, no matter what ratio you use.

Here’s how I do this:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.

Bucket 2: 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice into RO Water

Buckets 3 & 4: RO water only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow branches to drip dry.

Hang and dry as usual.

As you can see, I've kept the full cup of baking soda and lemon juice in that bucket. Plus, I always do the H2O2 1st, and on all my harvest. For me, I choose to do this because I always grow outdoors... so there's always plenty of dirt, leftover sprays, and mold spores lurking around. Hope this helps.
I Love My Girls... :smokin:

Here’s how I do this:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.

Bucket 2: 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice into RO Water… Try 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 cup lemon juice

Buckets 3 & 4: RO water only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow branches to drip dry.

Hang and dry as usual.

As you can see, I've kept the full cup of baking soda and lemon juice in that bucket. Plus, I always do the H2O2 1st, and on all my harvest. For me, I choose to do this because I always grow outdoors... so there's always plenty of dirt, leftover sprays, and mold spores lurking around. Hope this helps.
That's a thorough, solid method. Belt and suspenders perhaps.....but no doubt it's clean and smooth smoke.

That's a thorough, solid method. Belt and suspenders perhaps.....but no doubt it's clean and smooth smoke.
Yes, this is what I have found to be true. If I was growing indoors, I would lighten up on the juice 'n soda and only use H2O2 if any type of mold was present.

Been washing buds from outdoor grows since the late 70's but never dunked in cold water, always used room temp water. No chance of losing triches unless you wash in cold water n get too vigorous. Outdoors you get a lot of stuff stuck in the sticky buds....dust, bugs, feathers, bird crap is the worst!!! Anyone wanna smoke that? Lol! I "highly" recommend a gentle wash with all outdoor crops!!! I'm older than dirt now so my outdoor growing is behind me..... My indoor grows are sealed tight n spotless, I have filters on the incoming air wich are changed frequently n the exhaust is pre filtered before going thru the carbon filter as well. Pre filters on carbon rarely even get any dust on them.... I don't wash my indoor crops, mainly do to being old n lazy I guess....they are super clean n my strains burn nice n smooth so I don't see the need. All you youngsters out there, wash away!!! Just don't get too carried away n please don't use cold water!!! It should be referred too as "dunk n swirl" not washing cause all it takes is a gentle dunking n swirling to remove the unwanted foreign matter. I wash every bit of my trim n smaller buds using ice water n bubble bags, THAT'S "bud washing" Peace luv n grow

Back
Top Bottom