Buds in jar for 3 weeks not been aired out is it going to be okay?

tk86high

Hey guys I got about 80% of a 1.5litre glass jars full of buds that I've not let air out in 3 weeks because I'm out of town. I put them in a cool dark place , Do u guys think the buds will be okay?
I did 5 days air drying upside down and then 3 weeks of opening the jars for 1-2 mins each day.
Just worried about my buds that took 4 months to produce lol.
Thanks guys

they should hopefully be ok. sounds like you did pretty well at getting the humidity out. as long as they are cool and dry and dark.

you may want to invest in humidi paks to ensure they stay at that nice 62% RH.

also check out PerfectGardens.com | Hydroponics & Organic Garden Supplies From one of our sponsors/members for humidipacks and they sell a spray thats just natural gasses that are totally harmless to us and the plants, this spray sort of lines the buds with a shield agaist oxygen, which is the biggest corruptor of our thc next to strong lights ;)

Most likely ok unless you had hidden mold then you might end up with soup

Even if there was hidden mold how would that effect the already dried buds , I thought mold only grew on areas that r moist or wet , mold could even go onto areas that r dry ?

Durring a slow jar cure your buds aren't dry but are curing slowly. You must burp the jar to remove moisture. I had a friend bury a bunch of "dry" buds in jars when we dug them up nothing but nasty vegetive soup

Durring a slow jar cure your buds aren't dry but are curing slowly. You must burp the jar to remove moisture. I had a friend bury a bunch of "dry" buds in jars when we dug them up nothing but nasty vegetive soup
Not trying to be a smart ass here but..
U guys must have no idea about science !
U buried it in soil and u thought weeks or months later the buds would be okay ?
Did u forget its soil ? And it's outside where the weather changes everyday ?
Soil = wet/moist . I mean think about it the ground is cold and mostly moist thoughout the year ! Why would u think the buds would be okay ?
I dried my buds for at least a month and put it up in a closet where the temp doesn't change and there is no moisture and coldness around the jar ! So yeah ill report back in 2 days when I get home and check .
Thanks for ur interesting story though :)

agreed. the colder it is, the higher the relative humidity...if that bud was 'just right' in a nice warm grow room it would have been wet in the cold ground.

that being said, we are talking a couple of decades ago...doubt there is a single grower here that didnt make some mistakes early on.

the important thing is the learning proccess....and now hundreds of people will read this and enhance their own education from it.
thanks for sharing, mistakes teach us far more than good fortune.

Those buds either were not dry or the jars were not air tight.

If you had a perfectly tight container and the buds were truly dry they would be just fine buried in the dirt for years and years, the only thing would be of course the eventual decomposition of the THC into CBN. One way or another those buds were too moist. Whether it was from moisture seeping through into the jar or them being jarred up while too moist or a bit of both.

TK I have some jars now that I do not open for weeks. They are just fine. I just opened them now to make sure to not put ya on to bs. They were perfectly fine. Nice and pungent, great buds that are definitely getting better with age. Just make sure they are dry enough before you leave TK.

JC ! Always great to see a reply by you ! Just due to the fact u say by knowledge just not by guessing . So ur answer makes me feel much more relaxed now. I did hang dry them for 5 days and 3 weeks jar burping so almost a month in total since they had water run though their vains I'd think that's dry , right ?! And they r in a cool dark place temps 60's during the last few weeks in air tight jars .Told my wife today if my buds r all messed up I'm taking a 24hr run to Amsterdam to reup until I get a new plant blooming . Haha, really hope it doesn't come to that.

Basically once they feel dry, just not crisp like they will break apart if you squeeze. But dry where they only give a tiny bit if you squeeze. When the buds are at that point you could basically store them indefinitely without mold. Make sure they do not have any hidden moisture inside though, as usually after 3-5 days of hang drying a bud feels quite dry on the outside but then after being in a jar for a day it re-moistens because the stem and the internal buddage was more wet then the outside bud.

But once the buds are at that point of not re-moistening after a day or two of jarring then you know there is no hidden wetness.

The other month I had to go on a trip for like 8 days. I had just harvested my Private Reserve OG only 4 or 5 days before I had to leave. I let them dry for 3 days, jarred for like 10 hours, redried for 12 hours, jarred again and then took out for like 15 more hours of drying then finally put them back in a jar at the last second before walking out the door.

I worried on my trip if they were dry enough. I would have been devastated to come back and find 4 oz of moldy shit. But it was all good and those buds are looking, smelling and tasting awesome. Just make sure they are at most like 16% moisture but probably 14-15% is better even 12-13% would be ok. 9% and under is bad because it'll stop the cure. Over 19% is bad because it would most likely cause mold. 17-18% would be too close to mold range for me.

Not trying to be a smart ass here but..
U guys must have no idea about science !
U buried it in soil and u thought weeks or months later the buds would be okay ?
Did u forget its soil ? And it's outside where the weather changes everyday ?
Soil = wet/moist . I mean think about it the ground is cold and mostly moist thoughout the year ! Why would u think the buds would be okay ?
I dried my buds for at least a month and put it up in a closet where the temp doesn't change and there is no moisture and coldness around the jar ! So yeah ill report back in 2 days when I get home and check .
Thanks for ur interesting story though :)

ur quite wrong with that statement to some degree. i bury bud outdoors, sometimes for months and months and nev er ever had a problem. but then i guess it depends how well u seal the container.

ur quite wrong with that statement to some degree. i bury bud outdoors, sometimes for months and months and nev er ever had a problem. but then i guess it depends how well u seal the container.

I was referring to glass jars not containers ! As the moist soil would make moisture around the glass if u just buried it like that without a really good glass jar or container like u use !

I have a pelican case. It's an airtight container that can be taken into the upper atmosphere and can be taken underwater. It's like a big suitcase ...... It is the perfect place to store my weed. Put it into quart jars and put them inside. It can be buried, left out in the weather, it's waterproof, airtight and doesn't let in light. I've had it for years from my military days. If the outside environment changes, it won't cause condensation on the glass of the jars because there is an air boundry between the pelican case and the jars.

It can probably hold about 30 quart sized jars ..... and then some. And, it's lockable.

The glass jars I get I am fairly confident I could submerge them in water and store weed.

Ball and Kerr (same parent company) make really good canning jars and are well worth the extra 2 or 3 bucks over generic ones.

When ever I am taking the top off my jars I have to pry the lid off and it "pops" off from having a air tight seal.

For bigger amounts of weed I have been putting the weed in a big trash bag, tieing it, then putting it in another trash bag, tieing that, then finally I put that in a closed tote box. Also inside the trash bag was like 6 of the humidity packs. So far it has been seeming to work, time will tell however. I wish they made 5 gallon sized canning jars. I got a feeling if you used 5 gallon paint buckets that had a really well made seal that could be nice for mass storage too.

I got my idea for the trash bags from JamestheGreen because he mentioned thats how he stores a lot of weed using big trash bags and tote bins.

UPDATE: buds r perfect ! after almost a month of not opening the jars that I left I come back today to some fine ass smelling buds I opened the jars and all I could do is say oh yeaaaaah from the smell (kool-aid voice oh YeaaaH).
So I guess I dried them buds well enough now I feel better about leaving my buds for months without opening the jars !
Thanks guys for all ur input and comments .
Now time to get high "oh YeaaaH".

Back
Top Bottom