Building A Better Soil: Demonstrations & Discussions Of Organic Soil Recipes

Excellent Professor. Did the boys help you smash them? :laughtwo::green_heart:

Thought I'd drop this tidbit from Coot, speaking on rock dusts.

"Since I originally wrote that basalt rock dust (Cascade Minerals) became available. There are huge differences between the 3 major forms of rock dust (as defined by Remineralize the Earth) and those 3 are as follows in the order you want to use them if available...

basalt rock dust
granite rock dust
glacial rock dust

Basalt & granite are paramagnetic with basalt way ahead of granite. Glacial scores a zero in this regard as do the colloidal (aka nano minerals) like Azomite (montmorillite), kaolanite, pyrophillite, zeolite, bentonite, et al.

That's the only rock dust that I use after seeing a side-by-side comparison of basalt (Cascade Minerals), glacial rock dust (Gaia Green in British Columbia) and Azomite (Utah).

The differences were stunning and it wasn't even close - basalt won in every element category. The absolute worst in every category was Azomite which wasn't much of a surprise to anyone remotely familiar with rock dusts in general. Glacial rock dust is 'okay' and it's cheap, cheap...

Basalt is the gold standard... ""

CC

Thanks for that sweetsue... I've arsed it with my crushed up scoria I use. Basalt is everywhere around here.. Not far all the land, prime agricultural land in Victoria, extinct volcanos. There's a lookout where you can see 20 or more volcanos... Have to be some good garden soil and pickings from around there. Out loud thoughts, lol...

I do out loud thoughts on these pages all the time Grizz. :laughtwo: Helps me work through the thought faster if I don't have to put it on hold. My family is very indulgent of me concerning this. Like they had any choice. Haha!

I hadn't even thought about the geologic history there being volcanic. Great news! Maybe your needing this information was what drew me to it. :blushsmile: One never knows. :love:

Wow that is awesome ! i am really interested in doing our own compost like you said healthy for the family and i switched over to organics ,dam i wish i kept up on the compost pile but 3 dogs ? not easy !

he sue im thinking these tea bags would work inside a pot . just add compost tea to activate the activator , also i drops one of these into the bottom of my oxy pot "organic hydroponic thread"
just to show off ill post pics here again lol

1795782_10153275127741605_2268323960311352877_n.jpg
10418951_10153265403176605_7161208291001895130_n.jpg
11108976_10153275248051605_4256694766403897049_n.jpg
11011481_10153275248271605_252306457909008347_n.jpg
11167977_10153275248256605_3381258417780371777_n.jpg
P1070252.JPG
P1070224.JPG

I think these are a brilliant idea Professor. You're on to something here. Good luck with the endeavor. :thumb:

Just got my cover stop seed from BAs today.

How much cover crop seed should I use per pot?

The most recent thing I heard within the past couple weeks was go easy and stay to the periphery. Congrats on adding this next step to the no-till. I get crazy excited about the proliferation of no-tills. :laughtwo::green_heart:

Reps to SweetSue for doing the research and sharing.

She does the epic Hero's quest, exploring the ends of the known world, overcoming obstacles to gather knowledge and bring it back to the tribe.

I am honored to be a member of her tribe.

I'm honored to be part of this Merry band of soil explorers Rad. Had to laugh at the imagery, because that's exactly how it feels sometimes. :laughtwo::green_heart:

From my grow journal:

Well, got most of the stuff for the organic grow.
The ingredients are on SweetSue's page. This is Clackamas Coot's recipe.
To it, I'm adding Budswel Guano, Organic Earth's Catalyst, Great White & aloe juice under the Twilight Spider 4.

I'll transplant the seedlings to my homemade 1 gal fabric pots with the organic soil in 2 weeks

So, here we go....

From my grow journal:

To it, I'm adding Budswel Guano, Organic Earth's Catalyst, Great White & aloe juice under the Twilight Spider 4.

I'll transplant the seedlings to my homemade 1 gal fabric pots with the organic soil in 2 weeks

So, here we go....

I get concerned about the use of guano. It is like a slow release fertilizer. It might be tough on seedlings.

From my grow journal:

So, here we go....

Hey Celt, the CC recipe is all you need IMHO. Guano brings composting to the mix, meaning it will heat up your soil and cook your roots if you use enough, another issue with guano is that it interacts with the plant root exudate slowing that process down, the guano feeds the same micro-organisms the root exudate does.

I'm going to question what is the "Organic Earth's Catalyst"?? Is this really necessary and why?

Not saying to NOT use it but you should be able to answer those 2 questions with something other than marketing speak.

Guano is just manure - manure should be put thru the composting process then into the soil with one or 2 exceptions (rabbit poop is one).

Back
Top Bottom