I like the drier net/bag that looks a lot easier.
First time using it, Keith. Thanks for joining my crop. Gonna be busy soon.
I think that these nets are good for the buds AFTER topping. The big colas flatten out which makes me wonder how many tricones are sticking to the net.
So I think that I will hang my out-door tops and save the drying net for the rest and leave a few leaves on to keep them off of the surface.
This is my first semi-educated grow and proper curing is new to me. I have the needed stuff to do it right.
Anyways.. Thanks for the come-back, Keith! Do you have a grow going?

Cheers!

First time using it, Keith. Thanks for joining my crop. Gonna be busy soon.
I think that these nets are good for the buds AFTER topping. The big colas flatten out which makes me wonder how many tricones are sticking to the net.
So I think that I will hang my out-door tops and save the drying net for the rest and leave a few leaves on to keep them off of the surface.
This is my first semi-educated grow and proper curing is new to me. I have the needed stuff to do it right.
Anyways.. Thanks for the come-back, Keith! Do you have a grow going?

Cheers!
Yes, first one Love this place everyone's been great, learning much

Hey Bill. I have a question for you.
I noticed on my Remonutrients that it should be mixed with equal parts during veg. I only saw one bpttle in your pics when you started your grow. Is it absolutely essential?

Thanks.
I had 2 boxes of Remo Supercharged kit.
Which Remo sent me.
I followed the recommendations on the schedule that's provided.
Didn't have any issues deficiencies or problems.
Just ran out.
And getting it in my area is expensive now.
So I switched to RX for the last couple weeks.
As far as essential, yes for healthy girls. :thumb:
I was going through 100 last a day of Remo.
Since I removed 40 lbs of plant matter it's down to 60 lbs.
Hopefully I have enough to finish.
Here is the kits Remo sent me.

PSX_20220930_055728.jpg

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

I had 2 boxes of Remo Supercharged kit.
Which Remo sent me.
I followed the recommendations on the schedule that's provided.
Didn't have any issues deficiencies or problems.
Just ran out.
And getting it in my area is expensive now.
So I switched to RX for the last couple weeks.
As far as essential, yes for healthy girls. :thumb:
I was going through 100 last a day of Remo.
Since I removed 40 lbs of plant matter it's down to 60 lbs.
Hopefully I have enough to finish.
Here is the kits Remo sent me.

PSX_20220930_055728.jpg

Stay safe
Well, I have 10 litres of GROW. Looks like l need 10 litres of Micro now. I have my own bloom nutes for now. Thanks my friend.
Cheers.

Well, I have 10 litres of GROW. Looks like l need 10 litres of Micro now. I have my own bloom nutes for now. Thanks my friend.
Cheers.
They are formulated to work together.
I had fantastic results following their recommendations.
I ran it in coco without checking ph. :oops:
Never had one bad leaf, freeken awesome stuff.
Just ran out. $$$$

Stay safe

BTW. I started my own SIP's. Made the first water retainers today and it fit like a glove with my pots. Not easy with a polygon pot. Will show the start-up next thread but should have a full thread from start to finish come Sunday. I asked you a few questions about that on your thread and will look at it after I post.

IMG_20220914_104749_resized_20220914_113232283.jpg
IMG_20220914_133228.jpg
IMG_20220914..jpg

The ring in the middle is 1 inch higher then the 3 inch water level. I will screw/brace some 1/4" chicken wire and top a little more diagonally to cut the wire-space in half.

My 2 ladies behind that are in week 8 of 12 and are getting sticky. One more ember than the other.

In about ten days I will top them and lower the light for half a cycle and get those neglected buds a going.

IMG_20220914_1week 8.jpg

I am looking forward to flowering indoor phase ll, they had a much more educated start!

More-so, stage lll.....Gonna test my SIP's. :yahoo:

Thank you for following!

Cheers!
I'm wondering if the issue is water not being able to migrate from the inner ring into the soil surrounding that part. That inner container should be like a well vented void. Holes small enough around the bottom edge to keep the soil out of the inner void, but enough of them to let the water soak the surrounding soil.

Another alternative would be to slightly elevate that inner ring so water can seep out from the bottom. On the commercial versions the lower edge looks to be comb-like so the water can easily wet the lower part of the soil.

I'm wondering if the issue is water not being able to migrate from the inner ring into the soil surrounding that part. That inner container should be like a well vented void. Holes small enough around the bottom edge to keep the soil out of the inner void, but enough of them to let the water soak the surrounding soil.

Another alternative would be to slightly elevate that inner ring so water can seep out from the bottom. On the commercial versions the lower edge looks to be comb-like so the water can easily wet the lower part of the soil.
Hello Azi. The tips of my new growth were starting to dry. The water level went down, but just a wee bit. So I gave them a little drink though I hated doing so.
I put just enough gravel to maintain the soil. My ring is 4 inches and water level almost 3, allowing for air but also minimizing the strain on the roots to get to feeding source.

I have ponderred this from the start and I am fairly certain, as someone mentionned in the SIP thread that he would have up-potted from a smaller pot which I responded that I made them as soon as you told me about them.

Thanks to all the guidance, my one gallon pots had amazing roots , especially at the bottom, which grew circular. with not enough room for much new soil between the roots and gravel, the roots may not be able to separate themselves and get through the gravel or maybe just having a hard time to get there. From a smaller pot, the roots would have had the time to get a good downward growth.

Opinions?
Cheers!

I don't think I fully understand your design. The gravel sits on top of your chicken wire screen which sits on top of the central reservoir? If so, that's fine as the roots won't reach down through the air gap to the water, and don't need to.

But, you should have soil going from the top of your pot all the way down to the bottom, and around that central ring. AND that central ring should  not be water tight. Water needs to be able to seep out and wet the soil that is at the same level as the ring in the center.

Then, your soil needs to be able to wick water from the bottom up through the soil. Not necessarily all the way to the very top, but most of the way.

So, a few things to check.
1. Is the central ring water tight or will it seep water?
2. Do you have soil at the bottom on the same level as the central ring?
3. Does your soil wick water sufficiently, and was it packed well in the bottom few inches?

Hi Azi! Thank you for the Q & A.
The central ring is drilled to allow water in. Not a good pic, the ring is up-side down. The holes are quarter inch under the resevoir which would give 1 1/4 inch or air. Olus I cut upside-down V's at the bottom of the ring to maintain water level.
IMG_20220914_133228.jpg

IMG_20220918_144921_resized_20220918_035137105.jpg

I sat this on a sprinkling of soil with a tad gravel over the chicken wire.
Methinks that the roots are too tight and not enough under-soil to liberate it.

This should answer your questions, my friend. Worse comes to worst, I will top-feed untill they reach or try again on my new clones. I don't give up that easily! It won't be a wasted grow considering I can only veg then flower 2 at a time. It shall be fruitful all the same.

Cheers!

Hi Azi! Thank you for the Q & A.
The central ring is drilled to allow water in. Not a good pic, the ring is up-side down. The holes are quarter inch under the resevoir which would give 1 1/4 inch or air. Olus I cut upside-down V's at the bottom of the ring to maintain water level.
IMG_20220914_133228.jpg

IMG_20220918_144921_resized_20220918_035137105.jpg

I sat this on a sprinkling of soil with a tad gravel over the chicken wire.
Methinks that the roots are too tight and not enough under-soil to liberate it.

This should answer your questions, my friend. Worse comes to worst, I will top-feed untill they reach or try again on my new clones. I don't give up that easily! It won't be a wasted grow considering I can only veg then flower 2 at a time. It shall be fruitful all the same.

Cheers!
Also, there may be just a little soil in the water that managed to seep through the gravel and wire . I can always pull it out and take a peek under her skirt.
Cheers.

A little soil in the water isn't really an issue. What you want to be sure of is that there is enough water in the soil outside of the reservoir at the same level as the reservoir. If you can pull the plant and check easily enough that would answer some questions. If that layer of soil is pretty much saturated with moisture then the pot structure should be working fine. If so, maybe your mix doesn't wick as it should.

And you said you notched out the bottom of the reservoir ring after that picture was taken, right? If you take it apart, snap a picture of the completed setup.

And, if you didn't notch the bottom, you could elevate it slightly with maybe plastic toothpicks or something just so the bottom of the ring isn't flush with the bottom of the outer container.

A little soil in the water isn't really an issue. What you want to be sure of is that there is enough water in the soil outside of the reservoir at the same level as the reservoir. If you can pull the plant and check easily enough that would answer some questions. If that layer of soil is pretty much saturated with moisture then the pot structure should be working fine. If so, maybe your mix doesn't wick as it should.

And you said you notched out the bottom of the reservoir ring after that picture was taken, right? If you take it apart, snap a picture of the completed setup.

And, if you didn't notch the bottom, you could elevate it slightly with maybe plastic toothpicks or something just so the bottom of the ring isn't flush with the bottom of the outer container.
Yup. Holes were drilled at varying heights. I best that I can do is remove it from the reservoir and see if any of the roots are poking through. Will try it in a few minutes.
Cheers!

Yup. Holes were drilled at varying heights. I best that I can do is remove it from the reservoir and see if any of the roots are poking through. Will try it in a few minutes.
Cheers!
The roots won't populate the reservoir because of the air pruning. But as long as the soil is pretty wet way down low you should be good.

With a really dry mix to start with, sometimes I have to thoroughly water the pot from above, and fill the reservoir that way initially to get the wicking action started. After that first top watering I then use the fill tube.

The roots won't populate the reservoir because of the air pruning. But as long as the soil is pretty wet way down low you should be good.

With a really dry mix to start with, sometimes I have to thoroughly water the pot from above, and fill the reservoir that way initially to get the wicking action started. After that first top watering I then use the fill tube.
Thank you my friend.
After looking underneath, I got Andrea to take a pic but it still isn't very good. I can see dozens of thin roots varying about 1 inch long and right now, my water level is 1 and 1/2 inch high out of the original 2 and 3/4 inch. Funny how the camera doesn't capture them all, but they are there
PXL_20221002_170300698.jpg

So this is what my ring looked like with water inside and outside ring at same level.
IMG_20221002_130541_resized_20221002_010607501.jpg

They already drank a good inch but not to chanche it, I cut some oil lamp wicks and cut a holder 1/4 inch taller than the ring. Before reassembly, I sprayed the roots well with REG solution. Knowing that the roots ARE pulling/dropping through has put my mind at ease. I just did this 2 one of them till I get your feedback.

IMG_20221002_132422_resized_20221002_012447977.jpg

If I refill the reservoir with maybe some Dandy-lion tea into the mix with the already present REG then the root ends will only be between 1/4 and 1/2 inch to the feeding source.
What do you think, my friend?
Cheers!

After looking underneath, I got Andrea to take a pic but it still isn't very good. I can see dozens of thin roots varying about 1 inch long and right now, my water level is 1 and 1/2 inch high out of the original 2 and 3/4 inch. Funny how the camera doesn't capture them all, but they are there
Ok. I'm confused. I thought the chicken wire sat on top of the ring and then the gravel on top of the wire and then the soil on top of the gravel, but the pic makes it look like the gravel is below the wire. :hmmmm:

So this is what my ring looked like with water inside and outside ring at same level.
OK that looks like the water can migrate out into the soil area. :thumb:

I cut some oil lamp wicks and cut a holder 1/4 inch taller than the ring.
You shouldn't need wicks with a functioning SIP. If you go with that design, a non-organic holder would be better. As the wood breaks down who knows what it will leach into the water.

If I refill the reservoir with maybe some Dandy-lion tea into the mix with the already present REG then the root ends will only be between 1/4 and 1/2 inch to the feeding source.
What do you think, my friend?
I've not had any luck feeding my extracts through the reservoir. The chemical or salt based nutes seem ok from what I hear from others. Doesn't seem to give any advantage feeding my extracts through the reservoir.

Can you show a picture or two of how the plant and the pot it sits in connects with that undercarriage from this series of pics?

Ok. I'm confused. I thought the chicken wire sat on top of the ring and then the gravel on top of the wire and then the soil on top of the gravel, but the pic makes it look like the gravel is below the wire. :hmmmm:

OK that looks like the water can migrate out into the soil area. :thumb:

You shouldn't need wicks with a functioning SIP. If you go with that design, a non-organic holder would be better. As the wood breaks down who knows what it will leach into the water.

I've not had any luck feeding my extracts through the reservoir. The chemical or salt based nutes seem ok from what I hear from others. Doesn't seem to give any advantage feeding my extracts through the reservoir.

Can you show a picture or two of how the plant and the pot it sits in connects with that undercarriage from this series of pics?
The chicken wire DOES sit on top of the ring, but it is attached to the pot, holding everything in then placed over the resevoir. I didn't think that a picture was needed. A little gravel seeped through, that's all.
As by extratracts; do you mean nutes? Mine are liquid. The whole point of SIP is to avoid the back pain and feeding into the hose. If I still need to top feed, except for the occasional Bukashi, Frass and worm shit, then I won't bother with this concept.

So no, my friend. The best picture I have is what I showed. One from underneath the pot and one of the reservoir it sits on. So I think that I will go ahead and refill the resevoir to almost 3 inches, leaving the roots just outta reach for now but after that good foliar of REG to the roots should have done well.

Thanks, Azi!

But then how do the soil and the water connect, do you have some sort of connector pot?

On the nutes, I have KNF and Jadam extracts of fish, comfrey, Nettle, horestail fern, seaweed, etc. and even the fish given through the reservoir was not enough to reverse a building nitrogen deficiency. Not sure why but after researching further it seems to be a common issue for those types of nutes when given thru the rez. Chelated nutes through the reservoir seem to work fine and that is what Buds, and ResDog are doing to great success.

I'm trying to work out a top dressing process like Emilya is using with Geaflora nutes (also to great success) but I'm still a ways away from knowing if my homemade nutes will be successful. So I guess it depends on what you want to use for nutes and how you want to water.

But then how do the soil and the water connect, do you have some sort of connector pot?
It doesn't connect untill it gets to the water. As shown, it has grown through the gravel and is reaching for the water.

As you mentionned, a top feed untill the resevoir is full, or in my case, raised another inch or so may have been better. My roots are close to touching. Running out of time so I will do it now. Supper ready in 20! :rofl:

But so far, no damage and am learning from it.
Take care, Azi... Cheers!

It doesn't connect untill it gets to the water. As shown, it has grown through the gravel and is reaching for the water.
There needs to be a connection between the pot and the water and without it you're not going to get it to work. Your roots will likely air prune before they reach the water.

In your setup you'd be better off going with your lamp wicks as you're not getting any water to the roots or surrounding soil as built. No wonder you were seeing drooping.

Back
Top Bottom