Cal-Mag? 2nd opinion

Chuckle

420 Member
Hey guys. I run rdwc. Its chilled to 20 degree c, PH doser set to 5.8, 8 air stones on a lp60 air pump. The leaf in question is a large shade leaf off a Pineapple Chunk. It started off as one or 2 randoms but seems to be spreading. I also recently started using water that runs through a regular 2 cartridge filter like what you'd put under your sink. I'm beginning to think that this filter is stripping nutrients like calcium from the regular tap water and may need to add cal-mag or remove the filter.

Just wondering if this looks like a cal-mag issue or if I have another problem possibly lurking.
DSC04275.JPG

Thanks.

Hey guys. I run rdwc. Its chilled to 20 degree c, PH doser set to 5.8, 8 air stones on a lp60 air pump. The leaf in question is a large shade leaf off a Pineapple Chunk. It started off as one or 2 randoms but seems to be spreading. I also recently started using water that runs through a regular 2 cartridge filter like what you'd put under your sink. I'm beginning to think that this filter is stripping nutrients like calcium from the regular tap water and may need to add cal-mag or remove the filter.

Just wondering if this looks like a cal-mag issue or if I have another problem possibly lurking.
DSC04275.JPG

Thanks.
I think you're right.

Please see How to Ask for Grow Support and provide the information
It is VERY hard to help diagnose plant problems if we don't have all the required information.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
The ONLY way to receive optimal feedback and support is to provide photos!
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

REQUIRED READING FOR ALL NEW GROWERS!
How to Grow Marijuana

REQUIRED INFORMATION FOR GROW SUPPORT

What Strain is it?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
How Many Plants?
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage?
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long?
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?
Indoor or Outdoor?
Soil or Hydro?
If Hydro, Reservoir size?
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature?
If Hydro, what type of Medium?
If Hydro, what type of Setup?
If Soil... What is in your Mix?
If Soil... What Size Pot?
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many?
Is it Air Cooled?
Temperature of Room/Cabinet?
RH of Room/Cabinet?
PH of Medium or Reservoir?
Any Pests?
How Often are you Watering?
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?
Size or Square Footage of Room?

This information is necessary for accurate support to be given.

There is a deficiency either at cause by either improper pH range and or undesirable action from the water filters leached elements affecting the calcium and potassium assimilation.

The water filter cartridges may be leaching out harmful chemicals to the plant, commonly sodium, chloride or iron. Please check what the reactive filter agent is in use for both cartridges. The water that is potable for human and animal use is rarely suitable to supply the plants nutrient requirements.

The reagents commonly used with consumer market tap under counter filters exchange elements and bind out lime from water while releasing another element back into the water.

Any excessively high single element may reform nutrient bonds to either harmful less desirable chemical forms, bind out or block the assimilation of the nutrient solutions elements in proper pH rang for the cannabis plants nutrient requirements.

If it is a chemical leaching into the source water adding additional calcium and magnesium will not overcome the issue as the filter reagent may leach back other harmful elements.

A high efficiency reverse osmosis water filter with a pressure shut of valve is the preferred method of removing either high salts or turbidity from water sources for use with either aquarium or horticultural use.

Is a nutrient reservoir used or is the pH adjusting agent feeding directly to the grow chamber?

It really looks like a classic cal-mag deficiency, your filter system is probably stripping out the naturally occuring Ca. You don't say if it's a reverse osmosis filter or a convential filter, but you have a cal-mag deficiency. Your PH sounds fine. Start adding cal-mag with every watering. Add the cal-mag to the water, mix and let sit for 15 minutes, then add nutes, mix, wait another 15 minutes,then ph to 5.8, and you should be golden!

Unless the filter material in the water filter cartridges are either of active carbon or zeolite the majority are salt anion cation exchange resins and remove 1 element by electrical chemical exchange and add 1 or more elements back into the output stream. Unless a human or animal has a known sensitivity to the released element there is usually no concern.

Plants and cannabis plants are not as easily able to use the active form of the nutrient bonds the ion filter exchanges promote.

Back
Top Bottom