Cal Mag Flush

Papageno

So I have what is probably a very minor Cal or Mag issue. I got some CalMag at the hydro store yesterday and the guy tells me I should do a 24 hour flush. So before I did that I thought I would check with yall. So he says dump my res, refill, add the Cal Mag and pH it to 6.4 and do not add nutes for the first day. After the first day I can go ahead and add the nutes back. Sounds good to me. But I usually run my res between 5.4 and 6.2 and I use benefficials both fungus and bacteria. So any ideas on how to reintroduce my nutes and beneficials in the right order would be helpfull as this is my first DWC grow. Also what pH will be too high for the Cal Mag to work or at least where should I make sure it stays below during the flush? After 24 hours should I just add the nutes in as is and slowly lower the pH back to 5.4 or should I lower it first? I guess also I was missinformed and was under the understanding that pH is best kept below 6.4 but for the Cal or Mag to work it can't be below 6.4. That might actually be my problem then and if I raise it up then the stuff that comes out the tap will be used. So how high pH do you guys let your DWC get to before running it back down? Last time I pH'd it down to 5.4 was over a week ago and I haven't had to make an adjustment since. It has slowly risen to 6.1 and a few days back I topped off the res with fresh water and nutes and it has been happy as a clam.

Thanks!

To clarify, my understanding is both pH and CalMag supplements can cause lockout of nutes. If I run it for a day between 6.4 and 6.6 to optimize Calcium and Magnesium uptake then what is the best way to add back the other nutes. Specifically I will also like to add my silica additive which also raises the pH.

So I am thinking after a day of CalMag:

Add the Silica and then pH adjust down to around 6
Then add nutes
Then add fungi
Then add bacteria
Then check again and adjust it back to around 6...

Or should I leave it at around 6.5 so more of the Cal Mag can be absorbed?

And of course I just found this chart online that goes against everything I have read and have been told about Calcium uptake.

ph_and_nutes.jpg

I found it online using the Google so it must be true.

I really see no reason to flush. when I mix my nutes i put in the silica, then calmag, then micro, grow, bloom, then add flora blend. then adjust ph accordingly. Alway ph last, no reason to adjust until everything is in the water. you could empty your res, and add new water, but I see no reason to flush the plant. and anything that has been damaged from lack of cal mag will not be fixed any ways, concentrate on the new growth. try to keep res ph at 5.8

So are you saying I could just add some cal mag to my current res as is and it will be fine and not cause lockout? I was told just adding it was not good. I think I read that somewhere too.

dont just add it straight to the res. it probably wont go into solution properly. I would mix it up with a new batch of nutes and add it. I just take my 5 gallon jug, mix nutes in it, and top up my res. then change res every couple of weeks. Guess it depends on set up though...

Yes start fresh with a new res change. Also in recent years many people have started to notice (myself included) that allowing PH to fluctuate improves performance and overall nutrient uptake. As you said, PH can cause all types of lockout not just CalMg... 10 years ago I spent a lot of time with PH up and Down getting my PH spot on. Now if I let it sway from 5.5 to 6.5 I don't seem to get any of the problems I had in the past.

That said I usually decrease my PH over time from 6.3 to 5.7 on average from Veg >>Final with the exception being cloning when I am also about 5.7

thanks!!!

So I have been trying to cycle as well. I slowly drop to 5.4 then let it raise back to 6.4 and slowly bring it back down and cycle it because that is well understood to be the best way to get total nute absorption. The issue is it isn't moving very fast :) . last time I dropped it to 5.4 was almost 2 weeks ago and I am at about 6.15 today. I was planning to wait until it gets to about 6.4 then dump and do a new batch and start it at 6.4 for the Cal Mag. Then after a day or 2 or when it gets to 6.5 start the slow decline back down to 5.4. My issue is not bad.

So here is what it looked like on the third

Top_Cropped.jpg

then I just took these on the 9th

from the top same 2 plant I just had to relocate the positions for more space...
TopView1_9.jpg

here is some bad leafs...mostly fan and not many.
dieing_fan.jpg
pitted_fan.jpg
bad_leaf_11.jpg

Again thanks!!!

So I have what is probably a very minor Cal or Mag issue. I got some CalMag at the hydro store yesterday and the guy tells me I should do a 24 hour flush. So before I did that I thought I would check with yall. So he says dump my res, refill, add the Cal Mag and pH it to 6.4 and do not add nutes for the first day. After the first day I can go ahead and add the nutes back. Sounds good to me. But I usually run my res between 5.4 and 6.2 and I use benefficials both fungus and bacteria. So any ideas on how to reintroduce my nutes and beneficials in the right order would be helpfull as this is my first DWC grow. Also what pH will be too high for the Cal Mag to work or at least where should I make sure it stays below during the flush? After 24 hours should I just add the nutes in as is and slowly lower the pH back to 5.4 or should I lower it first? I guess also I was missinformed and was under the understanding that pH is best kept below 6.4 but for the Cal or Mag to work it can't be below 6.4. That might actually be my problem then and if I raise it up then the stuff that comes out the tap will be used. So how high pH do you guys let your DWC get to before running it back down? Last time I pH'd it down to 5.4 was over a week ago and I haven't had to make an adjustment since. It has slowly risen to 6.1 and a few days back I topped off the res with fresh water and nutes and it has been happy as a clam.

Thanks!
We raise the pH when using Cal/Mg flush to prevent all of the Ca/Mg from immediately reacting with phosphorus . At a lower pH nearly all of the mineral (Cal/Mg) reacts to make Calcium phosphate and Magnesium phosphate so your plant won't get any help. This is a disaster because now we lost our P as well. Ca and Mg are desperately needed in the leaves to help with making chlorophyll. Chlorophyll makes sugars that will be sent down to the roots at night during rest ing to make stronger roots to take in more nutes. The flush is not to remove anything but, to add in calcium and magnesium. The problem is we can only get Ca/Mg into the plant at the higher pH. In a day or so the mineral boost is starting to work and you can add nutes as usual an the pH will slide back down. This is different than a clean water flush some do prior to harvest or to correct a major issue.

Back
Top Bottom