Cal Mag Question

Prolly dont need the Mg in Cal/Mag in soil. Suggest looking into GeoFlora VEG and Flower they are sponsors here you should be able to get a discount. These are organic slow release nutrients based on kelp and other goodies.

Better for the soil than bottled chemicals like cal/mag. Cal/Mag 98% water there as well.

If you run out of Ca can use food grade Gypsum as a Ca supplement. I add it and other amendments to my soil when I mix it. Also can use Crab meal as a top dress for Ca just go easy with whatever you use.

If you run out of Ca can use food grade Gypsum as a Ca supplement. I add it and other amendments to my soil when I mix it. Also can use Crab meal as a top dress for Ca just go easy with whatever you use.
... and if you don't wanna pay rip off prices for the 98% water and magnesium solution ... use Epsom Salts.
Pennies per pound at the drug store.

One cup in a 50 gal reservoir is sufficient.

Yup. ES is great stuff.
I can be a surface dressing, a foliar spray, a soil drench ... plants love it no matter how ...
and, my favorite feature ... IT'S ALMOST FREE.

(don't buy cal-mag for a hundred bux a gallon, buy magnesium at $0.80 a pound).
Thanks for info. I was directed from someone in my last grow to get Cal Mag so i have it on hand already. I will use ES after the Cal Mag is gone or is it advisable to buy ES instead and throw Cal Mag away

Thanks for info. I was directed from someone in my last grow to get Cal Mag so i have it on hand already. I will use ES after the Cal Mag is gone or is it advisable to buy ES instead and throw Cal Mag away
I actually use both.
About half the time I use ES ... other half, a commercially produced CalMag.
Most cal mags have calcium in them, some have iron. Trace minerals that your girls need.
If I was smart I'd buy a bottle of SuperThrive and not buy any more CalMag ... but, I'm lazy.

Put Mag in at the beginning of your pour of nutes in the res. Mag needs to go in first. I use a ppm meter and nute the first 150 ppm as mag. For me, its about 250 ml of ES in a 50 gal res. THEN you can put in Part A, and Part B and, all the real stuff. But, mag goes in first.
I don't use it all the way through the grow. From birth thru veg I hit 'em hard with mag. After bud set I halve it, and the last three weeks they just don't need it.

I try very hard not to use calmag, unless I have to. Each of these elements weigh very heavily on Mulder's chart of mineral interactions, and many a grow has been screwed up by adding too much Mg and Ca, and locking out other vital elements by doing so.
If and when you have symptoms, then by all means supplement... but keep that stuff out of your grow until you need it. I used to think that it was wise to be cautious, and to use calmag as a preventative, until I learned what it was that was tending to lock out my potassium later on in the grow. Minerals do build up and it's all cumulative, much like the knowledge we gain on each successive grow. Over time, I get closer to understanding the phrase, "less is more." Good luck! Do what you feel is best... that is the only way to learn.

I try very hard not to use calmag, unless I have to. Each of these elements weigh very heavily on Mulder's chart of mineral interactions, and many a grow has been screwed up by adding too much Mg and Ca, and locking out other vital elements by doing so.
If and when you have symptoms, then by all means supplement... but keep that stuff out of your grow until you need it. I used to think that it was wise to be cautious, and to use calmag as a preventative, until I learned what it was that was tending to lock out my potassium later on in the grow. Minerals do build up and it's all cumulative, much like the knowledge we gain on each successive grow. Over time, I get closer to understanding the phrase, "less is more." Good luck! Do what you feel is best... that is the only way to learn.
You know ... you said something here that ... makes me scratch my head ... (god I hope I don't have mites again)

In one of the rooms ... I have started a thread showing some leaves on a couple of plants with spots on them.

This may be related to what you're talking about.
The stems on these plants were RED. I mean, a dark purple red. It was obvious that I had a severe Mag deficiency. It doesn't show in those pix's as that was a month ago ...
Maybe I over-corrected?

I whole heartedly agree with 'less is more'.

Hmmm. I gotta ponder this for a couple days ....

You know ... you said something here that ... makes me scratch my head ... (god I hope I don't have mites again)

In one of the rooms ... I have started a thread showing some leaves on a couple of plants with spots on them.

This may be related to what you're talking about.
The stems on these plants were RED. I mean, a dark purple red. It was obvious that I had a severe Mag deficiency. It doesn't show in those pix's as that was a month ago ...
Maybe I over-corrected?

I whole heartedly agree with 'less is more'.

Hmmm. I gotta ponder this for a couple days ....

yes, I saw... be careful with those vitamins. For similar reasons, I have seen SuperThrive totally wreck a blooming plant, although it does seem to help vegging plants a lot. Less is more... that stuff is like a 20 megaton bomb of energy.

yes, I saw... be careful with those vitamins. For similar reasons, I have seen SuperThrive totally wreck a blooming plant, although it does seem to help vegging plants a lot. Less is more... that stuff is like a 20 megaton bomb of energy.
Yup.
Which is what (I think) started this ... my boss over feeding my girls.

I can't leave work.
Boss came into my office last week and said, "You won't take days off, so ... I made reservations at Caesar's in Vegas for you and wifey. Round trip first class tickets. A gift card with four figures on it for 'expenses'. Now, all I need to know is, do I need to have security PUT you on that plane?"

I went, but I thought about my girls the whole time.

Vegas baby.... and first class. Nice.

Dont give too much into red stems and anything going wrong. It can be something as simple as genetics. I've grown plenty of plants with red stems and usually pink trichomes come along for the ride. Some of the best weed I've grown lately had red stems.

Back
Top Bottom