Can I dig my plants out of my garden and repot them?

radrichie61

Can I dig my plants out of my garden and repot them to protect from torrential rain from Ian, no wind expected however lots of rain?

So, that’s my question, can I and how would I go about pulling out of my garden and putting in big pots. Someone stated he had done it but wrap the pot and rootball in Myco. Remember I knew nothing in June. What the hell is Myco? I looked and it appears to be a root ball bossier. He said wrap, I had the image of something to “wrap” it in.

I have 3 small roughly 4-5 foot plants all growing quite closely to one another. Is the advice I was given that, since I grow hidden in my backyard, any kind of beach umbrella, small pvc pipe and clear plastic shed roof over it. I was a carpenter at one time and know I could make it but my neighbors are so close and I have been out there way to much all summer. Could not help it. And it would be tough. I may be able to build a lightweight pvc square with long vertical posts to go into the ground and then place sheeting on it and remove it as well. Might be able to turn it in to a trellis and rain cover, all in one.

Below is a pic of my grow space. It is from a long time ago but is the best pic of the area since the 3 plants are small. Also, to consider repotting them, there are 3 plants there in a 7x5 bed I dug fresh so pretty well processed soil, would not be hard to get out I would think.
7E26F866-D4BE-466B-A1C1-F79817D1C4BB.jpeg
9424CE73-B680-45F6-8A70-708438E861F2.jpeg
7B099F56-23C7-476F-BDC4-E6DD6A4E7974.jpeg
7397A6B3-ECCB-4202-8166-C34455F0AAB8.jpeg
CEDFEB23-7F16-4A10-A6B5-BDBEB721FAA5.jpeg
3ECB2A30-B8DD-4435-A5B0-52BB133E7DF9.jpeg
AE1B4CB9-67C5-4943-BFC4-9CBF31D7F6F8.jpeg

Diggin them up terrifies me. But also it would be nice to get back to being more mobile, but yikes.

Thanks Rich

Mmmm. Just my opinion but I think moving plants that size will root shock them badly. I see active flowering too. One pretty constant rule in all gardening is, 'Don't transplant while flowering.'

All that notwithstanding, jury rig some clear plastic sheet over top of a 2x4 to protect from the heavy rains.
Cheers :peace:

I agree with @PaleSun, covering or tenting would be the best outcome. I’ve had to move plants that were about that size, and while they eventually recovered and did well they were in veg, not in flower. They looked real sad for many days, many leaves dropped, I lost 2 of 12. If there’s any way to avoid it, I would. That said, the fact that they’re in “processed soil” may help minimize root damage. Also how many days of rain? And what after that? The rain won’t hurt the plants per se, but if it’s humid after that it can promote bud rot. Tough situation.

I have 3 small roughly 4-5 foot plants all growing quite closely to one another. Is the advice I was given that, since I grow hidden in my backyard, any kind of beach umbrella, small pvc pipe and clear plastic shed roof over it.
You are so close to harvest that trying to dig the plants up now is probably not going to be a good thing. If the plants are close together then the roots are intertwined with each other. Separating them and then root pruning the rest of the roots growing down and to the sides right now is sure to cause more problems that could be fixed eventually but not in time.

Healthy plants still in the vegetative stage can take a lot of abuse and handle it like it never happened. But once they start into flowering it seems like their root systems slow down, even stop most new root growth, while all the nutrients and hormones, etc are directed towards the flowers and buds.

Probably be better off building something over the plants than trying to transplant. Plus what you build might work to hold in a bit of heat the last couple of weeks when the weather gets a tad bit colder.

my neighbors are so close and I have been out there way to much all summer.
I am out there all the time and my neighbors have asked if everything was OK when they do not see me walking the yard often enough. I have told them it is "doctor's orders to exercise including walking so I walk around looking at the plants whether they are vegetables or flowers". Even told the cardiologist and he said "great job on the walking".

Someone stated he had done it but wrap the pot and rootball in Myco. Remember I knew nothing in June. What the hell is Myco? I looked and it appears to be a root ball bossier. He said wrap, I had the image of something to “wrap” it in.
I believe that you are thinking of the message from @CaptainLucky in your other thread. He mentions 'covering the root ball with Mycos" though I can see why it sounds like wrapping. I am pretty sure he meant to dust the Mycos over the roots and soil and even over the sides of the hole in the new container. I am linking to that particular msg down below and maybe he will stop by to help explain what to do if you were to try transplanting this late in the game.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/first-timer-facing-rain-and-hurricane-and-no-protection-trichomes-clear-still-harvest-it.522843/post-5644676

I believe that you are thinking of the message from @CaptainLucky in your other thread. He mentions 'covering the root ball with Mycos" though I can see why it sounds like wrapping. I am pretty sure he meant to dust the Mycos over the roots and soil and even over the sides of the hole in the new container. I am linking to that particular msg down below and maybe he will stop by to help explain what to do if you were to try transplanting this late in the game.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/first-timer-facing-rain-and-hurricane-and-no-protection-trichomes-clear-still-harvest-it.522843/post-5644676
Thanks for commenting. Lost my 2 biggest Kolas in the last 2 hours of the storm. 😭😭😭

This is a question for all the experienced people on this thread.

When growing in the ground, outside, particularly after a hurricane, how do you flush the salt from the soil? Do you just flush as you would if the plants were potted? A lot of Sledgehammer (or similar) and fresh water?

This is a question for all the experienced people on this thread.

When growing in the ground, outside, particularly after a hurricane, how do you flush the salt from the soil? Do you just flush as you would if the plants were potted? A lot of Sledgehammer (or similar) and fresh water?
That’s a good question and I don’t know but would be interested in finding out. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom