Can I use peat or coco to cut hot soil?

pointer80

Hello all, I was wondering can you cut strong or "hot" soil mix by adding some peat moss or coco coir to the mix and calm it down a little if there is too many organic nutrients in it? Thanks in advance

Hello all, I was wondering can you cut strong or "hot" soil mix by adding some peat moss or coco coir to the mix and calm it down a little if there is too many organic nutrients in it? Thanks in advance
Yes. Earthworm castings, Pumice, perlite are some other items to use. Earthworm castings are probably the best for obvious reasons.

I'm with Fanleaf

Cut with aeration (pumice/per-lite - whatever is local) along with the peat (preferred and cheapest) or coco.

Again as mentioned. Sage advice.

Can I ask why do you think the soil is too "hot"?

I'm with Fanleaf

Cut with aeration (pumice/per-lite - whatever is local) along with the peat (preferred and cheapest) or coco.

Again as mentioned. Sage advice.

Can I ask why do you think the soil is too "hot"?
it is a locally made seedling soil mix but I had some plants start to turn the bottom leaves brown so I was told probably to hot, but now I have some other seedlings also planted in this mix and showing no signs of effects?

btm leaves on seedlings going brown could be a lot of things.

From over-watering to hot soil.

Seedling mix is usually the opposite of hot in my experience.

If you get it locally and they are selling plants along with soil,compost etc
they are likely using that same mix to start flowers and veggies for the spring. Maybe it's a little early for that soil and it needs to sit a few weeks.

Some seedlings will be able to handle it if they have good genetics. Cannabis is a very hardy plant. If you have expensive seeds I'd wait a few weeks or mix in some peat moss maybe 25% to lighten water the soil and let it sit a few days..

btm leaves on seedlings going brown could be a lot of things.

From over-watering to hot soil.

Seedling mix is usually the opposite of hot in my experience.

If you get it locally and they are selling plants along with soil,compost etc
they are likely using that same mix to start flowers and veggies for the spring. Maybe it's a little early for that soil and it needs to sit a few weeks.

Some seedlings will be able to handle it if they have good genetics. Cannabis is a very hardy plant. If you have expensive seeds I'd wait a few weeks or mix in some peat moss maybe 25% to lighten water the soil and let it sit a few days..
they don't sell plants, this soil is bagged and has set for quite a while I would think. The plants that are having issues came from a friend that crossed them. My "good" seeds I ordered from the seed bank seem to not be having any issues so far and they are about the same age as the other ones were when they started to get brown leaves.

Prolly some finicky genetics. We all get that from time to time.

Specially common with many of the hybrids that have been crossed a bunch.

Worth looking for a keeper - there's always at least 1 in there! lol

Post a pic of the seedlings with brown leaves and include the soil in the pic.

Prolly some finicky genetics. We all get that from time to time.

Specially common with many of the hybrids that have been crossed a bunch.

Worth looking for a keeper - there's always at least 1 in there! lol

Post a pic of the seedlings with brown leaves and include the soil in the pic.
I will have to take some recent pictures. The new growth seems to be doing better a few days after transplant

Back
Top Bottom