Can you go back to 18/6 after flowering starts

Failwyn

Once you switch to 12/12 and the plants start to flower, can you go back to 18/6? Will it affect yield? I just had to repot some clones, which means they had to go to the main tent, not sure what to do about the other plants that are 2 weeks from switching over; I can keep the clones outside the tent for a short time while the others start to flower, but would Ideally like to get them back in the tent ASAP; is it possible or should I toss the clones and take a fresh cutting before flowering the other plants?

Once you switch to 12/12 and the plants start to flower, can you go back to 18/6? Will it affect yield?
Hopefully I am understanding the several ideas in the one paragraph.

If the plants were switched over to a 12/12 schedule as a way to find out if they are female and then put back into their regular light schedule then flowering will stop. If they were put into the 12/12 schedule because it was time to start flowering for a harvest 9 to 12 weeks down the road then they have to continue under at least 12 hours of uninterrupted dark every 24 hour period or they will stop flowering.

... not sure what to do about the other plants that are 2 weeks from switching over;
If they are in the tent along with the first set of plants then they will also flower as long as they are sexually mature enough.

I can keep the clones outside the tent for a short time while the others start to flower, but would Ideally like to get them back in the tent ASAP; is it possible
If they go into the tent with the other plants and the lights are at 12 on and 12 off then they too will start to flower if or when they are sexually mature. It will not matter if these clones have a good root system or not.

or should I toss the clones and take a fresh cutting before flowering the other plants?
Unless you have somewhere to keep them where they can get more than 12 hours of light every day they will also start to flower.

Other growers have talked about putting their cuttings in an out of the way corner with some lights that are on an 18 on and 6 off schedule.

How far along into flower were they?

Yes you can but they will probably need to reveg…… if they do reveg then it will take many weeks of turnaround time. The plant will appear to stall for weeks then one day finally it will pop single blade fan leaves on top, after more time elapses it will start to add 3 bladed fan leaves on top, then a few weeks later it will switch over to growing 5 bladed fans leaves and then resume growing normallly after that.

Reveg is a slow process but once a plant has been revegged it is called “monster cropped” and will be a bushy beast with lots of side branching, yes monster cropped plants are considered to yield better.

pics of the girls in question would help.

I started with one tent & light but it’s kinda imperative to work toward having multiple setups to solve to the whole veg versus flower dilemma. The veg area can be low budget just an extra light but of course the flower side must have the ability to be totally dark

So if it's actively flowering and you revert to a 18/6 light schedule, it will stop flowering and return to vegetative state? Will the buds continue to develop or just die off? I'm trying to figure out a solution, space and budget are limited at the moment; I figured I would experiment with early topping on the clones to see how that works out, if I kill them, no big loss, I'll just take some more cuttings before I switch to 12/12 and start them in my clone tank.

They are not currently flowering, I'm just trying to plan ahead, my last grow flowered prematurely (apparently due to bad soil choice), so it was under 18/6 from seed to harvest and never revegged. I was hoping that I could switch them to flower, then flip the light back and have everyone be happy.

I had a cutting from a plant that was in preflower (CBD Critical Mass) that I rooted, it's been 6 weeks (from cutting) and she still hasn't reverted to vegetative state under 18/6 light. I'm a bit confused on the reveg process.

The bug bushy one is Cannatonic, the next biggest is Blackberry Kush, the clones are one of each.

6AF426EA-E295-4CC8-95AD-0663C7E2892C.jpeg

B050933D-FC50-4548-954D-9AB095FEFA24.jpeg

if your doing it to stall the mature plants so the others catch up it may not work. your mature plants will take some time to both revert and then go back in to flower. by that point you'll probably be facing the same issue over the younger ones. they likely still won't finish at the same time.

the real solution is a separate veg tent.

I had a cutting from a plant that was in preflower (CBD Critical Mass) that I rooted, it's been 6 weeks (from cutting) and she still hasn't reverted to vegetative state under 18/6 light.
I did a google search on the Critical Mass and noticed that it has a very short flowering period, as low as 5 weeks on one site and up to 7 weeks on another and somewhere in-between on another. This makes me wonder if the strain is the result of a breeding project by Dinafem involving a Ruderalis clone. The websites say the original Critical Mass was crossed a clone of an unknown strain known for its CBD properties which is why the name is "CBD Critical Mass" since the original parent plant is still available as regular "Critical Mass".

Some of these breeding projects have created new strains and some are called "fast flowering". They flower weeks sooner than the traditional photoperiod or autoflower strains because of the Ruderalis genetics.

The plant in the second photo, the blue light one, looked like an autoflower when I saw it and it does have some of the leaf structure of a plant that is reverting back to a vegetating stage. It could be that there is enough autoflower genetics that will keep it from going entirely back but not enough to get it properly flower either.

The leaf structure that makes it look like it is reverting back to vegetative stage is that the fingers or blades on the new leaves are smooth edges. A Marijuana leaf will have serrated edges on the fingers. I did a capture on the photo and enlarged it a bit and the leaves at the bottom do look typical with the saw tooth serrated edges.

Just my thoughts on that little one.

Yup, 3 fingered fans = photoperiod stress….

When reveg occurs the existing buds are done, they will not resume growing again but a crown will form at the top of each bud and new growth will spring up from the crown.

Your soil should not initiate flower cycle…. Photoperiods need 12 hours of dark every night to initiate flower and to stay in flower… autos will begin flower automatically regardless of the light cycle, even 24 hours on will be just fine.

Reveg is very slow process, expect many weeks of stalled out plants…it takes time to convert the hormones between veg & flower and then switch back from flower to veg. Once the leaves start changing they ususally go from single blades to 3 blades then to 5 blades but it looks as if your girl may have skipped a step…

I would say don’t top until you are certain they have rooted but beyond that - go for it!!

Back
Top Bottom