Can you see when you have happy plants?

Yes, a happy plant is very obvious. I look for all of the top growth to reach up toward the light!

I've read that when the leaves are pointing up or "praying" is a sign of happiness. I've also read it's a sign of stress lol.

What's your take on "praying" leaves, Emi?

Great question Remystemple! Let me tell you the science behind what is happening so you can tell the dummies that say it this a sign of stress, that they are full of compost.

The ability to lift those leaves up takes a tremendous amount of water pressure in the trunk and stems to accomplish this feat of strength. It is a process that goes all the way down to the roots, and several things are happening all at once. The plant spreads its leaves up toward the light to increase surface area to its maximum. This increases evaporation, photosynthesis and by throwing off the water, increases the water pressure or the sucking power of the roots. The roots are reaching out too, and they are working on getting the very last water out of the container and with maximum suction they are pulling massive amounts of air down into the soil as well as uptaking large amounts of water and nutrients.
The ability to do this shows that the roots are working at maximum efficiency and are healthy and of such size to be able to support this activity at the top of the plant. The leaves tend to point toward that which interests the plant the most. If you are hard on the roots by overwatering or over fertilizing, the leaves point toward the ground. If the plant's major interest {as it should be} is the sun, that is where the leaves are going to point.
We can anthropomorphize this behavior as an act of praying {probably in gratitude} or as being happy. There are conditions that can cause leaves to taco {severe over fert} and heat can also cup the leaves due to sunburn and I guess you could call them sad, but there is no mistaking a plant that is in full transpiration, doing that thing that thriving and healthy plants all over the planet do when they are getting everything they need, they follow the sun across the sky.

Great question Remystemple! Let me tell you the science behind what is happening so you can tell the dummies that say it this a sign of stress, that they are full of compost.

The ability to lift those leaves up takes a tremendous amount of water pressure in the trunk and stems to accomplish this feat of strength. It is a process that goes all the way down to the roots, and several things are happening all at once. The plant spreads its leaves up toward the light to increase surface area to its maximum. This increases evaporation, photosynthesis and by throwing off the water, increases the water pressure or the sucking power of the roots. The roots are reaching out too, and they are working on getting the very last water out of the container and with maximum suction they are pulling massive amounts of air down into the soil as well as uptaking large amounts of water and nutrients.
The ability to do this shows that the roots are working at maximum efficiency and are healthy and of such size to be able to support this activity at the top of the plant. The leaves tend to point toward that which interests the plant the most. If you are hard on the roots by overwatering or over fertilizing, the leaves point toward the ground. If the plant's major interest {as it should be} is the sun, that is where the leaves are going to point.
We can anthropomorphize this behavior as an act of praying {probably in gratitude} or as being happy. There are conditions that can cause leaves to taco {severe over fert} and heat can also cup the leaves due to sunburn and I guess you could call them sad, but there is no mistaking a plant that is in full transpiration, doing that thing that thriving and healthy plants all over the planet do when they are getting everything they need, they follow the sun across the sky.

Fantastic answer! Thank you so much. I actually raised my lights because of this. little did i know they were happy were they were.

This is great info.

. Very well said

Back
Top Bottom