CannaButter Recipe Calculation Strength Before & After

NewToTHC

Hello:

Following one of the common edible calculators out there to determine how much potency per say a tablespoon of my Cananbutter. Question though...during the calculations it asks for the volume of butter to which the cannabis is added, which obviously decreases even after a good squeeze at the end of the process as the cannabis absorbs oil. So do I base my recipe calculations on the starting volume.

So if I started with 8 oz of butter and after the process at the end volume of butter is 6 oz the potency is still the same, the missing two ounces were just absorbed by the cannabis and just thrown away?. The 6 oz did not gain any potency vs 8oz, just lost volume?

Hello:

Following one of the common edible calculators out there to determine how much potency per say a tablespoon of my Cananbutter. Question though...during the calculations it asks for the volume of butter to which the cannabis is added, which obviously decreases even after a good squeeze at the end of the process as the cannabis absorbs oil. So do I base my recipe calculations on the starting volume.

So if I started with 8 oz of butter and after the process at the end volume of butter is 6 oz the potency is still the same, the missing two ounces were just absorbed by the cannabis and just thrown away?. The 6 oz did not gain any potency vs 8oz, just lost volume?
Hello @NewToTHC hope your having a great weekend.
I'm not great at calculations.
But I have tip for you.
I'm assuming your using a crock pot or a pot on the stove.
I heat mine to 190f and simmer for 12 hrs minimum.
But here is the tip. I use a wine making bag.
Its a fine micron bag.
Comes in various sizes .
You put your decarbed buds chopped up fine into the mesh bag.
Set the bag in your melted butter and water mixture and let it simmer.
When you are finished you just lift the bag out.
Twist it to get last of butter out.
Pour it into a container and set in the fridge.
Water and chlorophyll settle to the bottom.
Butter hardens on top.
Then just lift your butter out of the container and dump the water.
Works like a charm.
I have one the size of a pillow case and do 10 pounds at a time.
I have about a 95% recovery rate.
As aposed to your 75 % recovery rate.:Namaste:
I can give you a link for the bags on Ama....n if you would like.
Enjoy your butter
Bill

Hey New - I've never tried to calculate just because of so many variables. And what I have been doing lately is decarbing in mason jars in the toaster oven and then grinding down with a stick (pestle) so it is almost dust. Then I add to about a cup of coconut oil until it won't take anymore. This last batch was with better weed or something because one 00 capsule really does the job - so I figure out my doseage for cookies, brownies chocolates based on that. I use a syringe to fill the caps - so whatever fills 10 caps - I use 4 times that amount to do 40 cookies, etc.
Hope this helps.

Thanks all, the more I think about it the calculation ie end result should be the same. If the calculator all thing being equal the THC per tablespoon is 100mg it shouldn't be any different then if the starting volume of butter was 8 oz vs 6 oz of butter at the end of the process . I am not reducing the volume by any means, the lost 2 ounces is what was absorbed in the bud and the cheesecloth, there should be little to no reduction by heat/evaporation or other means. Different story if I was making a tincture and boiling it down, but that's not the case with butter or oil.

Edible Calculator

Calculator I am using

Hello @NewToTHC hope your having a great weekend.
I'm not great at calculations.
But I have tip for you.
I'm assuming your using a crock pot or a pot on the stove.
I heat mine to 190f and simmer for 12 hrs minimum.
But here is the tip. I use a wine making bag.
Its a fine micron bag.
Comes in various sizes .

Bill

I will give the wine bags a try.

I have one the size of a pillow case and do 10 pounds at a time.
I have about a 95% recovery rate.
As aposed to your 75 % recovery rate.:Namaste:
I can give you a link for the bags on Ama....n if you would like.
Enjoy your butter
Bill

10 lb of cannabis, how much butter, or is it the other way around?

Well this was my third attempt at cannabutter, coconut oil and my last. Took 1/2 teaspoon and very little effect after 90 minutes, took another 1/2 tsp and little change. Went to sleep and five hours later I awake completely messed up, paranoid and complete confusion.

Nope never again, my body does not take too well too edibles and too unpredictable. Usually nothing or hits me like a freight train and the hangover is horrible. Will stick with vaping or perhaps try a alcohol tincture.

10 lb of cannabis, how much butter, or is it the other way around?
10 pounds of butter. My friend.
I also make salve.
And a few other medicinal products.
Great plant, very versatile.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom