Can't tell male or female?

ineedweed4

Hi, i've been growing my plant for a while now, and im trying to figure out whether or not it is male or female, it's actually 2 plants but one got a stunted growth early on and as a result is shorter and weaker, that one might actually be a male I've been flowering for a few weeks now, but maybe it's not getting enough darkness when I have it closed up, tell me what you think :Namaste:
1663373045143.png

1663373055745.png

1663373063757.png

1663373076032.png

Cant really tell yet, your plant may not be old enough to be showing sex. A female will have 2 white hairs that come out from the nodes, and a male will have balls...

It's really hard to tell from your photos, but when the time comes, you will know. ironically enough, when a male shows his sex, he does it with the use of these little pollen sacs in the crooks of the stems, that oddly enough, look like a set of balls. Females will grow two little white hairs called pistols. That is your difference, as long as you check daily, you should be on top of things. Hope this helps.

I know the pictures are a little blurry, can't help it cause all ive got is a cheap camera phone. I haven't been keeping track of how long ive been growing it, but its started to smell quite a bit when you smell it from the top, could that be sign of a female? do males ordinarily smell dank around their leaves?, it's not my first time, but the last time it was much smaller and I got lucky and it was female, hairs and all, but small amount of bud, the only thing different I can think of is if it is just not getting enough darkness ( maybe light is seeping through). it should have started flowering by now as far as I can remember from my last 1 time.

ps I can take more pics and come back

To add to Icemud, it may be 3 or 4 nodes up the stem of the plant before you do see the white hairs.

your first and 2nd pic, retake them right in the center of the stem where the other braches are coming out.
that is where it will show sex. we should be able to tell better then.

I know the pictures are a little blurry, can't help it cause all ive got is a cheap camera phone. I haven't been keeping track of how long ive been growing it, but its started to smell quite a bit when you smell it from the top, could that be sign of a female? do males ordinarily smell dank around their leaves?, it's not my first time, but the last time it was much smaller and I got lucky and it was female, hairs and all, but small amount of bud, the only thing different I can think of is if it is just not getting enough darkness ( maybe light is seeping through). it should have started flowering by now as far as I can remember from my last 1 time.

ps I can take more pics and come back

are you doing 12/12?

It's really hard to tell from your photos, but when the time comes, you will know. ironically enough, when a male shows his sex, he does it with the use of these little pollen sacs in the crooks of the stems, that oddly enough, look like a set of balls. Females will grow two little white hairs called pistols. That is your difference, as long as you check daily, you should be on top of things. Hope this helps.

I do check daily, i've got it in 12/12 cycle, but all it seems to be doing is growing taller, the littler one looks like its got a number of possible nuts on it, that could be, at some parts on the main plant those green points that stick out have white "hairishness" around them and directly above that some sort of nodule on each side, no idea what it is, could be balls? but isn't abundant, and does smell.

the things sticking out no however right above them it will have something kind of the same when it first starts to grow the sex. look for a small white hair coming out.

how long on 12/12?

my plants now I vegged until they showed sex. one took 3 weeks I think and the other like 5. this is on 24 hour lights.

1663372993293.png

1663373002041.png

1663373014824.png

about 2 1/2 weeks 12/12 I'd say, I think light is leaking in causing it to flower slower, I'll try to get my hands on a better camera

Maybe try and put the lights at 13 hrs off and 11 hrs on. The extended darkness might help kick her into flower. But it doesn't look like it is flowering yet so it's hard to tell if it is male of female. Something else you could try is before changing your lights give it a good 24-36 hrs of solid dark. I do this before going 12/12 and she showed her sex in 7 days. Hope this helps!! Keep it green man!!

If you check out my second grow journal I have some nice clear close ups of my lady plant before she actually showed her sex.

thanks outraged, that was really helpful, man, so there's still hope yet, and to think I was that close to almost cutting her down thinking she was a male, that smaller one for sure though I think is a male, it's flowered faster than the big one because it's had less light getting to it through the brances on the main one, don't think its in the pictures but it's got an abundance of little balls seemingly randomly growing at it's top, almost seed shaped and hanging around, I'll probably have to cut that one down if the main one turns out to be female, if it keeps producing balls im cuttin, but seeing as how Ive never seen a male plant before, I'll let it grow in but first sight of a white hair on main plant it's outa there.

also..

If it's a girl, I think im gonna name it Emily.

Well it's official, Emily is a girl. I think the 24 48 hr dark period really helped out a lot, she's got wispy white hairs poking out all around her, I'd say there's about 10 overall flower top branches, I keep getting lucky with the females, the small one was a male so I cut it out, the big girl, is a girl, and smelling quite nicely right now.. Very good, and fortunate for bagseed, my first grow I ever did was just a tiny little thing I grew underneath my desk, I flowered it but it was just an experiment, only like did a couple grams. This sucker's almost nearly 3 feet tall, I cant wait until she is fully mature and ready for harvest. Cheers! The pictures don't really come out well but if you want I'll take some more of it now while flowering, maybe you could move this into the grow journals forum, I don't want to start over from scratch. This is a very interesting plant, and it's getting to be massive, I really want to see how much bud im able to get from it, it's gonna be crazy.

Here's some pics of it now. .

She's coming along pretty good, smells amazing, but for some reason is just growing really slow.
I'm just growing using CFL bulbs, 1-2 on occasion, im trying to keep electricity bill low.

I think it's mostly the strain though, bagseed. Last time I had a grow using a single cfl daylight bulb, and it was a bagseed but from some "Better" stuff, that thing took off like a rocket when I flowered it, crystals everywhere and fairly dense bud when it broke apart, it was something to see. But Now, I ordered some Premo seeds and they just came in, one of them is an AUTOMAX, it's one of the Critical strains so it's supposed to be one of the fastest growing, largest yielding, and its automatic flowering plus feminised, among the others, it should be very interesting:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom