CFL Light Tutorial

Faderharley so having some 5000K bulbs like sm0ker was saying is a good way to go? Might have to incorporate some into my current plans. Going to be a few weeks though since Money is tight but I have the product to start some White widow and afghan kush. I need some Northern lights for sure since it is easy for rookies. But yes that bud you got there is what im looking forward to creating :)

I had to jump into this convo cause I have just read a posting at the growers underground advanced nutrients site and it has a lot of interesting info in there link to a posting called the great phosphorous myth exposed and as they have the only licence to grow marijuana for research purpose they are able to take samples of plant tissue daily from there plants and determine what minerals are found in the largest amounts in the plant. So this allows them to formulate there nutrients to work with cannabis requirements at all ages and the funny thing is that in the life of cannabis the largest nutrient requirement it will ever have from seed to full ripen shows to be nitrogen and from veg to flower nitrogen actually increases actually all 3 n-p-k all increase from veg to flower but the chart shows nitrogen increases by about 5-10% in flower P increases about 30% in flower and potassium increases by about 25% in fact if there charts are accurate N and K are the 2 most widely used nutrients in cannabis.

The thing about any plant is in nature the soil we plant in has nutrients being replace from the surrounding ground every time it rains and therefore we have no control over how much n-p-k there is available all we do when nutriating outside we are only ensuring that the required nutrients are available. But outside the plant will stop using nutrients when it is ready and I feel thats the best way to do it inside as well allow the plant to enter senesence on its own and you will get bigger yields of more potent bud but we can speed the proccess as well by cutting nutes and that is what hydro is about manipulating the growing conditions so the plant finishes when we want it to so as to maximize the space we have to grow in.

Thankyou Cateros tons of info,pure science is in effect now.. Nitro an potassum mostly at flowering..And the info on the 6,500&5,000K blubs.. Im gonna use a mix of both now..And 2 flush a 7-10 days prior..Thanks again.

My 1st grow was with CFLs, the larger spiral ones. I used the clamp style fixtures so I can place them anywhere in or around the plant. During flowering I used a ratio of 2 to 1 on the spectrum and got excellent results as well. Now that I'm in the beginning of my 2nd grow, can't wait when I got all 12 CFLs burning: eight 105watt/400watt, 2700k, 5000 lumen, and four 85watt/350watt, 6500k, 4200 lumen, making cluster fucker colas, thick as my forearm, hell yeah!

P4230023.JPG

P4250010.JPG

P5140006.JPG

Faderharley you r the man..This is what i wanted to see!!! I got the same clamps an bulbs as you..The Big 300W4,200 lume bulb 14$ worth the $$..BUds as thick as your forearm!..WoW!! Yea i Know ALL you guys&Gals got that same sort of kind of set up..God Bless you folks..Never grew indoor yet,Just worried about the smell..The hindu kush from dutch passion says low odor??And how many oz did you get per plant if you dont mind me askin and how tall??Thankyou Faderharley:grinjoint:

Faderharley so having some 5000K bulbs like sm0ker was saying is a good way to go? Might have to incorporate some into my current plans. Going to be a few weeks though since Money is tight but I have the product to start some White widow and afghan kush. I need some Northern lights for sure since it is easy for rookies. But yes that bud you got there is what im looking forward to creating :)

I wish you luck on your grow. Allow me to suggest before you persue it, research it very well. Decide which way you want to grow, soil, hydro? I saved up for about a year for my lights alone and my grow system is an aero-hydro I made myself w/tote boxes, airstones, so forth. My CFLs ran between $24-$28 bucks each, clamp-on fixtures $5-$6 bucks. After getting seeds, materials, pumps, fans, lights, timers, PH meter and Nutes, put out about $600-$700. But for that one time investment was surely worth it. Got more bud than I know what to do with, plus this weekend germinating 12-14 feminized seeds for grow 2, Searching for Gold, Columbian Gold. My journal is on this site.
You have some interesting strains to work with. On my first grow, my White Widow would not take, ended up with mostly indica, the strains on my 1st grow where White Widow, Carnival, Big Bud and Kandahar. To clarify your question, 6500-6700 k range for vegetation, 2700-3000k for flowering. I hope I helped

Personally I think if your going to grow with cfls then take advantage of one little feature that cfl bulbs offer that no other bulb does they come in the temps of 2100k 2700k 3200k4100k 5000k 6500k if one was to mix every single one of these bulbs into reflectors so as to provide even coverage over the plant of every color frequency available and you will see growth that will be approaching outdoor growth.
Of course if you do mix them all make sure during veg there are more high temp bulbs and vice versa in flower.

Interesting post Cateros. I currently have 8 42w 2700K, 15 42w 6500k and 1 105w 6500k. I was looking at some more 105W 5000k on 1000bulbs.com having issues finding the 4 bulbs fixture that RM posted in the earlier pages of the thread. I have already spent about 7 months researching and spent 1000 thus far. Just needa get the PH/TDS pens some more cfl bulbs and light accessories some extension cords and adapters for the sockets, perlite and Osmocote plus and the pots and I should be ready to start the bag seed to get some exp under my belt. I wana try to the hempy way growing since it seems like a user friendly way for rookies and starting in a like hydro method. Hope to get started by Oct so by the new year I will have a nice head stash :)

I was under the impression the reason for using the 6500k (veg) and 2700k (flower) was that the other bulbs have more of the other colors (orange yellow green) that the plants don't use as efficiently as the red/blue. IMO the 2700k and 6500k, or more pointedly, a mix of these two is most efficient for the plants. Although there are colors that they like at different stages of growth, I think this is best :peace:

Mixing up the light spectrum is they way to grow w/CFLs IMO. On my 1st grow I had all eight of my 105watt/400watt, 2700k, 5000 lumen lights buring w/2 85watt/350watt, 6500k, 4200 lumen during flowering. My second grow I plan to bump it up to four 85watt instead of two. I believe I can achieve bigger, fatter colas. :yahoo:
P4230024.JPG

Mixing up the light spectrum is they way to grow w/CFLs IMO. On my 1st grow I had all eight of my 105watt/400watt, 2700k, 5000 lumen lights buring w/2 85watt/350watt, 6500k, 4200 lumen during flowering. My second grow I plan to bump it up to four 85watt instead of two. I believe I can achieve bigger, fatter colas. :yahoo:
P4230024.JPG

Faderharley you showed me mostly everything and got great ideas for my first indoor set up..Pictures are worth a million dollars 2 me..Just the idea of mixing bulbs like duaring veg 7-6500k 2-5000k and 2700k..Just trying to repuclate the sun..Mixing lites a little alone probally produces more buds..How many oz from a plant with your big cfls??Im an outdoorsman but Im about 2 start my first indoor.. I have 10 clamps lights for a 2x2 5' high area too many..so i bought the socket connectors and 3 surge protectors..Cant wait 2 start...

P4230024.JPG

If I was using those work light reflectors, I think I'd try to make them slightly larger by extending the edges out with heavy foil or maybe rivet a strip of sheet metal or something all around.

Because of having to use the socket extenders to allow the bases of the bulbs to fit into those work lights, the CFL's stick out too much and the reflector loses efficiency.

Extending the lip of the reflector an inch or two would compensate for that loss.

Alternatively, I might hog out the hole in the reflector large enough so that it would fit around the base of the CFL, and then just use it separately from the clamp/socket. That would really help focus the light energy better.

I was under the impression the reason for using the 6500k (veg) and 2700k (flower) was that the other bulbs have more of the other colors (orange yellow green) that the plants don't use as efficiently as the red/blue. IMO the 2700k and 6500k, or more pointedly, a mix of these two is most efficient for the plants. Although there are colors that they like at different stages of growth, I think this is best :peace:

I think you right. The closer to the spectrum you get the best light. The 2700k up to 3000kcfl and 5000k to 6500k would be the best ones to go with. I think the 3000k-4100k might be within the spec that the plants might not get the most use of? I had this thought to google kelvin colors but slipped my mind and i just remembered it and looked it up :) Kelvin Color Temperatures

The photo does not really show how much light is really in that closet. Each time I would check my plants, it would take about 5 minutes to get my eyes to focus again due to the intense light those large CFLs put out. Burning both spectrums during vegetation is a growers choice, I don't cause I want to only veg up to 5 weeks from seed. Then go 12/12 for 2 weeks. then 14/10 until harvest. You park a large CFL next to a cola, she is going to puff out and ripen nicely :nicethread:

If I was using those work light reflectors, I think I'd try to make them slightly larger by extending the edges out with heavy foil or maybe rivet a strip of sheet metal or something all around.

Because of having to use the socket extenders to allow the bases of the bulbs to fit into those work lights, the CFL's stick out too much and the reflector loses efficiency.

Extending the lip of the reflector an inch or two would compensate for that loss.

Alternatively, I might hog out the hole in the reflector large enough so that it would fit around the base of the CFL, and then just use it separately from the clamp/socket. That would really help focus the light energy better.

The clamp-on fixtures I use is so I can place the light where ever I need or want to. As far as a relector, the entire closet is painted flat white, which in return is the relector. With 10 large CFLs burning in a 4ft x 4ft x 9ft, its really, really super brite. It takes a few minutes for my eyes to adjust whenever I go in there to check on them..

Faderharley you showed me mostly everything and got great ideas for my first indoor set up..Pictures are worth a million dollars 2 me..Just the idea of mixing bulbs like duaring veg 7-6500k 2-5000k and 2700k..Just trying to repuclate the sun..Mixing lites a little alone probally produces more buds..How many oz from a plant with your big cfls??Im an outdoorsman but Im about 2 start my first indoor.. I have 10 clamps lights for a 2x2 5' high area too many..so i bought the socket connectors and 3 surge protectors..Cant wait 2 start...

Glad I was able to help. Do you know what grow system your going to use? What strains your gonna grow? You have plenty of lights and fixtures for the size of your grow area. I got over 2.5 oz/plant, 6 plants. I know I can do better. Good luck...
:laughtwo:

Glad I was able to help. Do you know what grow system your going to use? What strains your gonna grow? You have plenty of lights and fixtures for the size of your grow area. I got over 2.5 oz/plant, 6 plants. I know I can do better. Good luck...
:laughtwo:

Thanks my man..2-3 oz per plant is nice...Dutchdragon,Mango,WhiteRussian,Nebula n theres a few more all looks like they all give off 600+ grm..ARJAN HAZE-1,400 grms + WoW..Be nice 4 you.. Now As 4 the soil im gettin pottin soil with Low Nutes in it..Perlite and Humas.. I Was readin about rockwool trying 2 stay cleaner.. But that looks difficult yet..Im lookin 4 low odor strain like northren lites#5 Fm Montreal seed.And Dutchpassion has a Master Kush..And Nirvana has an autoflower bluemystic nuetrel smell?But the stuff im buyin is nice & looks great outdoors..But its big & smelly..

Or you could build one of these I have wired it for a 200w cfl tube bulbs but this design could be easily modified to hold any number of cfl spiral bulbs and there sockets.
S7300657.JPG

The main thing I reccomend though is notice the wiring box on the one end it is to make sure I have safe connections to the cord and then there is another junction within to hold all the wires for each socket you use . Seeing as it is a 3"x 3" by 2"in deep octagon box so you can put a lot of wires in there.
Materials 18"-32" galvanized duct at 6-10 inch diameter opened up into a half circle.
Piece of 1/2" plywood board cut into a sliver moon shape on one end (basically forming a rib) and a half circle on the other end cut to fit the diameter of the ducting you use.

And then the junction box if you want to make a really kick ass one you could put a mogul at each end and then wire in 2 more to each side and then load it with 2 300w and 4 150w this would allow you to mix 3 spectrums at each end .

Thanks my man..2-3 oz per plant is nice...Dutchdragon,Mango,WhiteRussian,Nebula n theres a few more all looks like they all give off 600+ grm..ARJAN HAZE-1,400 grms + WoW..Be nice 4 you.. Now As 4 the soil im gettin pottin soil with Low Nutes in it..Perlite and Humas.. I Was readin about rockwool trying 2 stay cleaner.. But that looks difficult yet..Im lookin 4 low odor strain like northren lites#5 Fm Montreal seed.And Dutchpassion has a Master Kush..And Nirvana has an autoflower bluemystic nuetrel smell?But the stuff im buyin is nice & looks great outdoors..But its big & smelly..

Yeah, picking the strains to grow is hard to do. My 1st run was for pain control, only got about 50% there. Thats why I'm starting my 2nd run. Spent alot of time trying to figure what strains would close the gap for my need.
Regard growing in rockwool, I use rockwool to germinate, once the root grows thru, I place the seedling into the growbasket which is 1 of 6 that are on top of my grow-box. I spray the roots with micro-sprayers

P7130001.JPG

the plant grows up top
Roots_from_GrwBx_1.JPG

Wish ya luck :grinjoint:

Yeah, picking the strains to grow is hard to do. My 1st run was for pain control, only got about 50% there. Thats why I'm starting my 2nd run. Spent alot of time trying to figure what strains would close the gap for my need.
Regard growing in rockwool, I use rockwool to germinate, once the root grows thru, I place the seedling into the growbasket which is 1 of 6 that are on top of my grow-box. I spray the roots with micro-sprayers

P7130001.JPG

the plant grows up top
Roots_from_GrwBx_1.JPG

Wish ya luck :grinjoint:

Lookin nice.. But Since im an outdoorsmen im stickin with the bag soil 4 now..Tryn 2 be real careful with my nutes..Ill go coffee grounds 4 nitro and i have this 0-10-10 stuff 4 potassium an phosp..You pictures also show how the roots shoot downward not to the sides.... Thanks....

Or you could build one of these I have wired it for a 200w cfl tube bulbs but this design could be easily modified to hold any number of cfl spiral bulbs and there sockets.
S7300657.JPG

The main thing I reccomend though is notice the wiring box on the one end it is to make sure I have safe connections to the cord and then there is another junction within to hold all the wires for each socket you use . Seeing as it is a 3"x 3" by 2"in deep octagon box so you can put a lot of wires in there.
Materials 18"-32" galvanized duct at 6-10 inch diameter opened up into a half circle.
Piece of 1/2" plywood board cut into a sliver moon shape on one end (basically forming a rib) and a half circle on the other end cut to fit the diameter of the ducting you use.

And then the junction box if you want to make a really kick ass one you could put a mogul at each end and then wire in 2 more to each side and then load it with 2 300w and 4 150w this would allow you to mix 3 spectrums at each end .

Excellent DIY hood, and with the additional sockets, goes from excellent to sublime ;).

Nice job bro!

I like the attention to detail, such as the folded/rolled edges, so you don't lose any fingers ;).

Back
Top Bottom