Charging my Canna Coco

Kevinhayes

Hey y'all I've have read a few different charging coco post and a little confused.

I'll be using 4 5gallon fabric pots. I have the Sensi Calmag from Adv Nuts as well as the Sensi ph perfect coco grow AnB and bloom AnB.

Looking for advice on how much RO water I'll need to use for the 5gallon pots for a total of 20gallons.

Also how much galmeg will be necessary to use for the 20gallon.

How many times should you charge. I've read once and I've read 3x on day and 2x the next day.

Should I add some of the Sensi coco grow AnB and if so how much for the 20gallon.

Journal will begin once I get this figured out and a little warmer weather.

Canna Coco Bricks? Expand them with pH 5.8 RO water. Mix 70% coco with 30% perlite. Flush with pH 5.8 RO water until the pH of the run off drops below 6.5. Let drain overnight.

From here, I use General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements. I add 200ml RO water with 0.3ml CALiMAGic at pH 5.8 per liter of coco/perlite, and let it drain for about four hours before inserting my germinated seeds.

I assume the Sensi calmeg from AN should be pretty similar. I'll give AN a email.

This may be a stupid question but is the ph in all RO water the same or does it vary depending on where you by it There a water Depot down the Rd I'll be using the get my RO water

If so what's the ph of RO

Thanks very informative

I assume the Sensi calmeg from AN should be pretty similar. I'll give AN a email.

This may be a stupid question but is the ph in all RO water the same or does it vary depending on where you by it There a water Depot down the Rd I'll be using the get my RO water

Thanks very informative
The pH of de-ionized water from an RO can't be measured by most pH pens. Many have a note in their instructions that states they can't measure the pH of water with a TDS of less than 10PPM, which is what you should be getting. You can measure the pH once you've added your nutrients.

ROs for drinking water usually have a re-mineralization stage. Water from these systems will usually have a TDS of more than 10 and less than 100PPM. The pH of the water from these systems usually falls between 6.8 and 7.2. That re-mineralization stage is often coco coir. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The pH of de-ionized water from an RO can't be measured by most pH pens. Many have a note in their instructions that states they can't measure the pH of water with a TDS of less than 10PPM, which is what you should be getting. You can measure the pH once you've added your nutrients.

ROs for drinking water usually have a re-mineralization stage. Water from these systems will usually have a TDS of more than 10 and less than 100PPM. The pH of the water from these systems usually falls between 6.8 and 7.2. That re-mineralization stage is often coco coir. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Good to now.

Why don't you just use tap water. The purpose of precharging coco is to replace the sodium and potassium cations with magnesium and calcium, and most tap water has plenty of that. Mix a solution of tap water and 5ml calmag per gallon and pH it to 6.0 - works perfect for me. Good luck.

Why don't you just use tap water. The purpose of precharging coco is to replace the sodium and potassium cations with magnesium and calcium, and most tap water has plenty of that...

If that's all that was in tap water, I'd agree. There's a lot more in tap water, some of it highly toxic. For example the water from my well has more than ten times many of the WHO recommended levels for many dangerous substances. Because there are no chloroforms it's deemed drinkable by the health authorities.

You may find it interesting to note that Health Canada's regulations for water supplies are much more stringent for private than municipal wells. While living in Ottawa, our water was often discolored, and we had numerous boil water orders. That's when I decided to get an RO and take control of our water quality. In the weeks following my installation my wife and I noticed a huge improvement of our health.

When we moved, we brought the RO with us. Using it dropped the levels of those dangerous substances to well below half the maximum levels recommended by the WHO.

If you are growing your own medicine, you have to ask yourself if you want to include concentrations of those dangerous substances. I certainly don't. I highly recommend that everyone at a minimum have a complete independent test done on the water coming into their homes annually. You will then know what you are starting with in your morning coffee, and your grows.

If that's all that was in tap water, I'd agree. There's a lot more in tap water, some of it highly toxic. For example the water from my well has more than ten times many of the WHO recommended levels for many dangerous substances. Because there are no chloroforms it's deemed drinkable by the health authorities.

You may find it interesting to note that Health Canada's regulations for water supplies are much more stringent for private than municipal wells. While living in Ottawa, our water was often discolored, and we had numerous boil water orders. That's when I decided to get an RO and take control of our water quality. In the weeks following my installation my wife and I noticed a huge improvement of our health.

When we moved, we brought the RO with us. Using it dropped the levels of those dangerous substances to well below half the maximum levels recommended by the WHO.

If you are growing your own medicine, you have to ask yourself if you want to include concentrations of those dangerous substances. I certainly don't. I highly recommend that everyone at a minimum have a complete independent test done on the water coming into their homes annually. You will then know what you are starting with in your morning coffee, and your grows.
I guess it depends on where you get your water from. I've never had any problems where I live - the city water is very drinkable with a ppm of around 150. And yes, I had it tested.

Thanks very informative

I am using AN calmag aswell and bagged coco (canna professional and I've just bought biobizz coco).

I haven't done any pre use rinse and i haven't any problems either. If I'm reusing coco then i will pre rinse with cannazym at 40ml per 10L (rinse again with calmag after 24hrs). . I add 0.3ec of calmag to each nutrient solution and the plants are healthy.

Also the RO water comes out 6.5 - 7.2. If it drops to 5.5 or below 6 then it's time for a filter change. My friend has it more 7.0 and i think mine is more 6.8.

I installed an RO system for drinking water and to get water for my grows. The PPM of my tap water is over 800 ppm. When all is said and done after treatment and the system adding Ca and Mag back into the water for taste my ppm's are around 45 ppm. I add Epsom and CaliMagic to get the water to 120 plus ppm prior to adding any nutes. The pH of the RO is 7.05 prior to adding nutes.

Thanks all.
Just about to start my first coco grow.
I stumbled into the right place.:popcorn:

Will be my first serious grow. This website has a shit load of info on here. If you haven't noticed there are tons of grow journals, if find they are the best to look over as I would imagine any problem you may have will be addressed in one of the journals. they are especially helpful if you're growing a certain strain that someone has made a journal about Also a tip I've got from numerous members on here is to start your own journal then other can have all your grow details and give suggestions or answers to your question.

I made it a habit to search what I'm looking for and if I cannot find it then I will start a new thread with whatever topic.

Did the same thing for a few months before I started asking questions. I'm my opinion the brick most likely will have to be washed and buffered (those 2 things may mean the same thing I'm not sure). Canna Coco 50L bag is ready to use out the bag. Some people suggest you wash it a few times with calmeg before you plant your seed/clone. I will be adding the calmeg at the beginning and also throughout the grow.

That's about all the info I have LOL

Good luck!!

Thanks all.
Just about to start my first coco grow.
I stumbled into the right place.:popcorn:

Make sure you get a quality product. Much of the coco sold by the big on-line retailer is crap, better suited for an outdoor garden. I use the Canna Coco Bricks. There are no chunks of coconut husk in it. It has a nice even texture.

Back
Top Bottom