Check this out input wanted

joedaddy805

So im getting ready to pop a few more seeds in the ground. What im wantinf to do is try different things ive never tried or try things that someone has thought about doing but never did it cause they didnt want to ruin a plant. I plan on topping/lst 1 of them on the first node and then just keep topping after that about 10 times. I dont really now of other ways but those 2 topping and lst. So if anyone would like to give me some input on things to try i will do it. I have plenty of weed to last me a year so these next plants are gonna just be for fun and learning/experiment. So any input would be welcomed.

I'm also gonna grow them with just tap water(well water) ph and add nutes just no RO water or fish tank water. want to see if there is any difference.

I'd becareful with topping to many times as this can cause bud diffusion aka smaller buds.... topping a few times is not a problem & can greatly increase yield.

Diffusion is like you top one branch at node to create 2 branches, top again to get 4, top again to get 8, top again to get 16 repeat several times to get a 100 plus cola bearing branches from the original branch creates bud diffusion its just a lot of energy to a lot of bud bearing sites, which would suggest that many bud sites would yield lower...

It would how ever increase vegetative regeneration period per topping session & would suspect 2 to 3 weeks regen growth before topping again & looking at aprox 4 to 6 months of veg growth to top per branch several times !

You will have a pretty large plant so LST may be required plus lots of space... it may mess around with any other plants vegging or flowering depending if you are a one tent man ?

How ever topping each potential cola bearing branch a 2 to 3 times should not present a problem & just might need extra veg time !

My own experience with topping was with a F1 hybrid feminized seed plant which i intended to keep for a mother plant...

I topped main apical dominate stem at around the 7th or 8th node around 5 weeks of veg to control height this causes auxin hormone displacement which in general diverts to more lateral growth creating a more bushy plant :thumb:

Lateral growth was topped once around 8 weeks of veg & the plant was left for aprox 4 to 6 weeks of vegging, what i noticed from topping that it appeared to control height growth along with over all slower growth rate (regen time with a soil plant might not be so noticeable with hydro plant)

Stretch of plant whilst in flowering appeared shorter than from plants grown from seed !

Over all even tho the plant was vegged and topped over an aprox 5 month period it how ever double yield from plants grown from seed :love:

Other wise if looking for new ideas you may wish to view this link - Light Addict's Quick Guide To Fluxing - Featuring The Original Flux! - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Are you growing in a medium? If so, I propose an experiment where you put an air stone in the bottom of the medium and run air through it to oxygenate the root mass and see what happens. I would expect you would have to water more often. Other then that I'm curios how else it would effect her.

Yes i grow in soil/compost 95% of the time even tho i have dabbled with hydro system & still do from time to time...

I have come across methods using an air stone at base of growing medium or inert growing medium mainly when concerned with auto pot system & even a hempy bucket with inert growing medium !

How ever i've not seen a grow journal too completion with such methods or have tried myself ?

But from what information i have seen would suggest an improved growth rate :thumb:

To which i can not comment on yield ?

It can be a common practice to add an air stone to each DWC bucket in less adding using a RDWC system where the air stone is applied to the main res & in fact with any such hydro system an air stone or two should be used for best results.

Are you growing in a medium? If so, I propose an experiment where you put an air stone in the bottom of the medium and run air through it to oxygenate the root mass and see what happens. I would expect you would have to water more often. Other then that I'm curios how else it would effect her.

i will be growing in soil.

"I'd be careful with topping to many times as this can cause bud diffusion aka smaller buds.... topping a few times is not a problem & can greatly increase yield."

Would it make the same difference on an outside plant seeing that outside plants can get a lot bigger than inside?

So im getting ready to pop a few more seeds in the ground. What im wantinf to do is try different things ive never tried or try things that someone has thought about doing but never did it cause they didnt want to ruin a plant. I plan on topping/lst 1 of them on the first node and then just keep topping after that about 10 times. I dont really now of other ways but those 2 topping and lst. So if anyone would like to give me some input on things to try i will do it. I have plenty of weed to last me a year so these next plants are gonna just be for fun and learning/experiment. So any input would be welcomed.

I'm also gonna grow them with just tap water(well water) ph and add nutes just no RO water or fish tank water. want to see if there is any difference.

i will be growing in soil.

So Joedaddy805 think this is something you may try?

CO Finest just put up a youtube vid where he shows off a plant which he topped after he topped her, after he topped her:

Seems to be a pretty good idea, if you have the space :p

well i topped this plant over 10 times but it turned out to be a male. I'm gonna try it 1 more time and hope for a female.
i had put months into this plant.

20140303_150157.jpg

20140212_133843.jpg

well i topped this plant over 10 times but it turned out to be a male. I'm gonna try it 1 more time and hope for a female.
i had put months into this plant.

20140303_150157.jpg

Nice male plant :thumb:

Hope you have more joy with your other plant & sorry i didn't realise you was growing out doors either...

Nice male plant :thumb:

Hope you have more joy with your other plant & sorry i didn't realise you was growing out doors either...

but would it make a difference from growing outdoors? i topped this one after it had 3 set of nodes i think then i just went crazy

Outdoor you'll have much longer veg time and it will stretch much more, so it should be more effective.

Yeah, and then they start asking how it can grow under the sun if you don't have any electricity ;)

Cannabis - believe it or not - was doing fine outdoor for 20 thousand years or so, and it will veg fine unless I missed something :) It finishes its vegetative growth around August, sometimes September and then starts budding!

how would it have more veg time when the sun is out for about 9-10 hrs a day when it needs 18hrs of veg?

kinda lost on that one I'm still a newbie.

Indoors is a controlled environment but one must wait for suitable new veg growth to form before topping again aka you really want a couple of nodes to form on the new growth etc before topping again... so this would lengthen veg cycle depending on how many times you wish to top per successful new growth...

How ever i would not flower a plant after a couple of weeks from topping as the new growth would only be small on a indoor grow but would wait in till new growth of the final top was some 6 inch big before inducing flowering on a 12/12 cycle.

12/12 is associated with the photoperiod of light which in general signals time to start flowering for MJ

Out doors in some parts of world day light hours change through out the season but i think towards the equator you get a more standard period of light/darkness etc

In the case of equator type regions i'm not sure how MJ grows from veg to flowering but suspect its due to plant maturity/age... lets just say when it reaches its teens years it becomes fertile & the rest is down to the birds 'n' bee's & that is at best i can understand growing MJ in equator regions etc with out further research !

Regarding topping out doors would be fine timing indeed !

It would imply you know when the plants will begin to start flowering on average could be said month of year in some parts of world due to day light hour change through out season etc & that topping should stop at least a month before flowering happens for regenerative veg growth to occur out doors, this would suggest how many time you perform topping during the veg season !

Its more of a case of watch and observe learning the environment you are growing in :thumb:

Note - Not seen many out door grows which do topping but i suspect its practical if timing is done right !

so what do you do just put an air stone in the soil and just leave it on 24/7?

Not sure, have thought about it a little and I guess you could try that or cycle timer on for 5 off for 10, or turn on for just the day you water. The experiment is open to the limitation of your mind, I'm just a primer. But would be very curious how it would effect her. I had the idea because of the reading I do on 420, it seems(and no one disputes)roots = bud and roots need oxygen that's why aeroponics is the best growing method. This was just an idea to increase oxygen to the root mass without going all the way to aeroponics set up. Since a lot of people on here grow in a solid medium(coco, peat moss, soil, or organic soils), I thought this might help increase root mass without going to an aeroponic set up and still increase their yield.

Not sure, have thought about it a little and I guess you could try that or cycle timer on for 5 off for 10, or turn on for just the day you water. The experiment is open to the limitation of your mind, I'm just a primer. But would be very curious how it would effect her. I had the idea because of the reading I do on 420, it seems(and no one disputes)roots = bud and roots need oxygen that's why aeroponics is the best growing method. This was just an idea to increase oxygen to the root mass without going all the way to aeroponics set up. Since a lot of people on here grow in a solid medium(coco, peat moss, soil, or organic soils), I thought this might help increase root mass without going to an aeroponic set up and still increase their yield.

I'm not really sure I've seen the definitive topics where this undisputed fact is acknowledged to be, in fact, a fact :geek:

I hear it all the time tho ... would you perhaps also know WHY this is an undisputed fact ? Cuz I cant really find a reason for it. Logic would suggest that enough nutrients and water can't be improved upon much .. and roots function only to transport those into and throughout the plant ?

Not trying to be a smartass .. but I do not comprehend why this would be so .. nor can I find a good explanation ?

Unfortunately I do not have a photographic memory so I cannot direct you to the thread, so I would recommend asking someone like Docbud, kingjohnc, slingblade, CO finest or one of the other hundred of very experienced growers on this forum. They may know the exact science behind it. Alternatively you could start a thread in the FAQ section and see who responds. With all that being said my understanding of why better, more and healthier roots equal more buds is they are the driving force behind the uptake and conversion of nutrients that maryjane uses in building her buds that we all enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom