Clone success rate in relation to different strains

2Crispy

looking on any suggestions that can help me with my cuttings. I have one of those machines, DWC type. I use the same technique on all strains, most root very easily but some only have like a 15% success rate.

The two I have challenges with are a ghost train haze I have grown from seed. I have cloned this one many times over. At first I thought because it was a young plant it wasn't being cooperative but it seems to be every time. The second is a Fire OG I picked up in Cali. So far I am 0-6 on this one.

What I noticed is both these strains have long skinny stems. More woody than the thicker stems of my other strains. I know the GTH is breed from kush, but I have other kush strains that grow thicker and are not as woody.

Any tips on how to deal with more difficult to clone strains? BTW I also sanitize the cloner after each use, I found this to help with the success rate.

thanks

1. Select lower shoot from healthy plant, using a clean razor slice at an angle below node. I was ripping growth off node, now I am cutting it off.
2. Scar stem with a few more cuts and dip in clonex gel at least up to previous removed node.
3. Trim top fan leaves
4. Place in aero cloner 4 gal water/150 ml clonex solution

Under led light, room temp 76 degrees

Like I said, I have good success, it is just a few stubborn strains. I think I am going to try rock wool cubes under a humidity dome see if I have any better luck. Have never grown this fire go before

Pics to follow

Some strains are easier than others. Sounds like your technique is fine. Many ways to do it. Personally I don't trim the top fan leaves or scar the stem. But, I've used dirty razors and can't find my clonex.

I use riot rooters, and clone gel from RX green - I've run the whole cloning line from them for a while. Gel, mist, and feed.

One thing I do is keep a heat pad below my container holding my rooters which has about an inch of water in it. Just my method now, but I've used the 25 site aero cloner before... and some strains took quicker and easier than others.

I wish I could recall the strains that never took well,, but,, I stopped growing them. Lol

Good luck. Just my ramblings. Keep doing what you're doing.

1. Select lower shoot from healthy plant, using a clean razor slice at an angle below node. I was ripping growth off node, now I am cutting it off.
2. Scar stem with a few more cuts and dip in clonex gel at least up to previous removed node.
3. Trim top fan leaves
4. Place in aero cloner 4 gal water/150 ml clonex solution

Under led light, room temp 76 degrees

Like I said, I have good success, it is just a few stubborn strains. I think I am going to try rock wool cubes under a humidity dome see if I have any better luck. Have never grown this fire go before

Pics to follow[/QUOTE. I've tried the jells and clonex solution, with little success. I have much more success with plain tap water in my aero cloner. the jells work great when i use rock wool cubes and dome. the other thing is, that 76f temp would be much better if it was like 65 or less. if my room temp is that high, then the pump heats up the water to like over 80f, and that's to hot. I also use a product called flying skull, which is great for keeping the bad things at bay. If you use flying skull, you will not get slime. if you can set the aero cloner on something cold, like a cold floor, that's even better. but i've found hard to clone strains, that it didn't matter how I tried cloning them, It just didn't work. It's also very important to clean the cloner after each run with bleach & water.
I cloned 23 cuttings from two plants (inzane in the membrane) and the 3 cuttings from one plant all rooted, while the 20 that I cut from plant #2 has one plant rooted. So different phenos within a strain, can be hard rooting. I've had others so tough to clone, that I just gave up after a few unsuccessful attempts. I've had folks tell me that there is no plant that can't be successfully cloned, but they don't know me !! Ha !! Fortunately, I only need 4 clones at a time, So like now, I started 23 and whatever I get, over 4, I either trade or give away to family & friends. I highly recommend the flying skull, for all kinds of hydroponic growing. And the water temp is the most crucial thing to monitor. ph tap water to 5.7-5.9. If it rises to over 60, lower it back to 5.8. I also started 13 clones (same ones that haven't rooted in the aero cloner) in rock wool cubes, at same time, and looks as they are all rooting. Go figure !! I've always wondered if maybe the time of year we try cloning, has anything to do with success, or moon phases? Halloween is tonight, all them goblins will be on my porch soon !!

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I do adjust the ph already. I got a sample of flying skull, I’m going to give that a whirl too.

I think I’m going to veg out this fire og until the holidays and try some cuts again after the new year

z7 is great stuff. Hard to find locally for me unfortunately.

I dont have a great deal of cloning experience, but I often look at taking cuts of several plants I have in my yard and see what the different processes are out there. You may be surprised to learn that succulents need to dry the cutting for a couple days and then they are placed on top of soil and the roots will seek the moisture in the soil. Roses, are apparently notoriously difficult if not impossible to take cuttings successfully.

Point is, maybe cannabis is a diverse enough species that some strains have a tough time rooting while others dont. Maybe there is a correlation between the woody stems and the younger stems and their likelihood to root.

Cool discussion guys!

20181115_073658.jpg
20181115_073704.jpg
20181115_073708.jpg

Well it took nearly a month but there is a root. Started on 10/18 today is 11/15. As you can see she is wilted down to near death. I will be amazed if this can be resuscitated into a healthy plant

Some strains are just hard to clone or reverse. It is a genetics thing. If you have had good luck before and are only have troubles now. It may be a strain thing.

I have one of those fancy aero cloners. Haven't took it out of the box yet LOL. I do my clones in a mix of perlite and vermiculite. When I dip into the clonex and push it into the medium it holds all that clonex right next to the stem. This might help with hard to clone strains.

But explain how 3 of 20 grew roots in my aero c
z7 is great stuff. Hard to find locally for me unfortunately.

I dont have a great deal of cloning experience, but I often look at taking cuts of several plants I have in my yard and see what the different processes are out there. You may be surprised to learn that succulents need to dry the cutting for a couple days and then they are placed on top of soil and the roots will seek the moisture in the soil. Roses, are apparently notoriously difficult if not impossible to take cuttings successfully.

Point is, maybe cannabis is a diverse enough species that some strains have a tough time rooting while others dont. Maybe there is a correlation between the woody stems and the younger stems and their likelihood to root.

Cool discussion guys!
Archiweedies, I'm going to attempt cloning an oak tree next spring, my cousin swears he can do it, so I said, show me !!
You are so right about difference in strains. The strain i'm growing now is very difficult to clone. They are all Inzane in the membrane, but no two are the same. Of the 5 I have left, one is being used as a mom, while 4 are 5 weeks into bloom cycle. All 3 clones, from the Indica plant, rooted within a week, but the rest were all sativas and only 3 of 20 rooted, and they were in the aero cloner for like 3 weeks. I guess what I want to know is, why did 3 root while the other 17 didn't. I think, the better the smoke, the harder it is to clone it !!

loner

But explain how 3 of 20 grew roots in my aero c
Archiweedies, I'm going to attempt cloning an oak tree next spring, my cousin swears he can do it, so I said, show me !!
You are so right about difference in strains. The strain i'm growing now is very difficult to clone. They are all Inzane in the membrane, but no two are the same. Of the 5 I have left, one is being used as a mom, while 4 are 5 weeks into bloom cycle. All 3 clones, from the Indica plant, rooted within a week, but the rest were all sativas and only 3 of 20 rooted, and they were in the aero cloner for like 3 weeks. I guess what I want to know is, why did 3 root while the other 17 didn't. I think, the better the smoke, the harder it is to clone it !!

loner
Dude that will be interesting with the oak tree! I'd like to see that experiment, if you remember to snap some shots or whatever.

Yea I mean I'm speaking with very limited experience here as I am not a master cloner for sure. I know environment is huge and its hard to ignore. Not sure how high the humidity was during this time or your temps. I have heard that Aero Cloners have an issue with the reservoir water getting warm. My Dewey Cloning bucket doesnt have that issue.

Some time ago, bedroom farmer was experimenting with the dewey systems. And yes, I know what you mean with the pump heating the water. What I do is run my pump 15 min on & 15 min off, and this keeps the water somewhat within limits. My aero cloner could be converted into a dewey cloner, very easily, but the noise from an air pump is Irritable to me ? I've got to start growing my own seeds, as I like variety. Smoking the same thing gets old, even if it's dynamite product !!

Some time ago, bedroom farmer was experimenting with the dewey systems. And yes, I know what you mean with the pump heating the water. What I do is run my pump 15 min on & 15 min off, and this keeps the water somewhat within limits. My aero cloner could be converted into a dewey cloner, very easily, but the noise from an air pump is Irritable to me ? I've got to start growing my own seeds, as I like variety. Smoking the same thing gets old, even if it's dynamite product !!

Haha no doubt you growing the dank! Yea BF actually motivated me to get one of these a while back and it’s an affordable little kit. The air pump that comes with it is very very quiet. However, Im an American and like it roaring and blowing way harder than it’s supposed to so I put my General Hydro dual diaphragm pump on there. Just using one output. ;)

Back
Top Bottom