Basic question about transplanting clones: rockwool to soil

Tedmarx38

I’ve read several articles and threads about this but cannot find an answer. Maybe I’m overthinking.

When transplanting a clone from rock wool to soil, do you have to remove the rock wool? It seems like leaving it in it would have a negative impact on future growth since the main stem eventually become thicker than the rock wool itself.

Same question for clone cubes made out of other materials such as rapid rooter. Thanks!!

I’ve read several articles and threads about this but cannot find an answer. Maybe I’m overthinking.

When transplanting a clone from rock wool to soil, do you have to remove the rock wool? It seems like leaving it in it would have a negative impact on future growth since the main stem eventually become thicker than the rock wool itself.

Same question for clone cubes made out of other materials such as rapid rooter. Thanks!!
Leave it but try Rapid Rooters next if planting in soil they they break down after while, Rock wool is for hydro application hope this helps

Dunno specifically it could go either way but I do know rockwool holds too much water so the plant must adapt water roots. It’s not a fast and easy transition to soil because the roots must adapt to soil format… a lower oxygen environment

rapid rooters should trasition easier/faster than the ones in rockwool… rapid rooter will work in any format- soil, soilless or hydro makes no difference. I know Bluter does his clones hempy style and they can be transplanted in to any media.

in the future I’d suggest cloning them with this in mind…. if you will be growing them out in soil then clone them in soil from the start, conversely if they will be grown in hydro format then clone them in hydro format from the start.

I’m also doing the SIP and SWICK club thing and we’ve learned that when transitioning a plant from soil switching over to SIP or SWICK there is about a 2 week delay for the roots to hit the res water and adapt.

hope this helps!

how big is the rockwool cube ? some are small like grow plugs for starting, the others are large enough to use all through the grow.

you don't wanna just plunk a big one into a pot of soil ..

Dunno specifically it could go either way but I do know rockwool holds too much water so the plant must adapt water roots. It’s not a fast and easy transition to soil because the roots must adapt to soil format… a lower oxygen environment
I figured a way around that, at least I think I have since it has worked this year.

I have started clones in the smaller sized rockwool cubes. Once there are several healthy looking roots coming through the sides of the cube I would fill an appropriate size pot with very loose soil and make a well in the center with all the excess soil in a ridge around the well. Then I placed the cube in the well and would water the loose soil around the edges.

The water gently carries the soil down and around the root. It is less likely to break any roots off since it is just water flow moving the soil. No need to tamp the soil down, just let the water take care of that. Plus the soil becomes saturated and within days the roots are adapting to being soil roots as the water slowly drains and/or dries off. Might or might not have to add a bit more soil after a few days but I just gently place it there and leave it be. Eventually, when it is time to water then that helps the additional soil settle.

I have found that this method is also working well when it is time to take rooted cuttings out of the water and get them used to living in soil.

Back
Top Bottom