Cloning question on leaf snipping

Greenraiza

So I’ve only just started doing my own clones there going well and healthy..ok so I didn’t now I had to snip the leaves when I did the cuttings and my leaves got huge with not much branch growth once I learned I had to do this I did it but by this time the leaves were huge without much plant growth do you think because I snipped them now I’ll start seeing more plant growth there around a month old maybe little older?

So I’ve only just started doing my own clones there going well and healthy..ok so I didn’t now I had to snip the leaves when I did the cuttings and my leaves got huge with not much branch growth once I learned I had to do this I did it but by this time the leaves were huge without much plant growth do you think because I snipped them now I’ll start seeing more plant growth there around a month old maybe little older?
If you have a clone that's a month old it should be growing vigorously. If you are watering her properly stems and leaves should expand. Are they getting a decent amount of light. Clones are easy to overwater and can go dormant.

When I take cuttings with the hope that they will grow roots and end up being clones I snip just a bit off the largest leaves. Maybe one or two fingers get something cut off. I have not had any leaves that were on the cutting when I cut it continue to grow much at all.

It is the new growth that pushes out new leaves and those new leaves get left alone and they will grow large. A photo or two of the cuttings when you took them off the mother plant and then a photo of how big they are now might help figure out if there is a problem.

It would not surprise me if there are successful cloning operations going on where the grower does not bother to snip leaves.

I didn’t now I had to snip the leaves when I did the cuttings
You don’t have to snip leaves when you take cuttings.

People just do it to kind of optimize the amount of leaf on the cuttings. Like on a lot of cuttings there will be two or three fairly large leaves. They take up too much space in the cloner and are not necessary, so people cut the tips off so they fit in better. Also so they don’t need to suck as much water up the stem to support a bunch of leaf.

That’s about all there is to it. It’s got nothing to do with what happens after they root.

I also think that if you are snipping the fingers off of leaves (for whatever reason) you give the cutting five wound sites to heal. If you take the whole leaf the cutting only has one wound site to heal. I’ll take off whole leaves for this reason. I find only leaving two or three on the cut pretty good for successful rooting.
:rollit: :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom