Coco coir recommendations? USA

politoed

yo yo gang.. so I have some beans on the way from @SeedsMan that i wanna mommy up. the last time i got organic soil it was shitty and full of bugs. im looking for a super low maintenance, CLEAN option to just make some lil bonsai mommas, and amended coco with monthly top dressing seems like it would be the way to go.

the reviews for coco loko and mother earth on amazon seem to be pretty scathing. can anyone recommend something good from personal experience?

I just always used something like Fox Farm's Happy Frog. Or Ocean Forest. Or a blend of the two. Whatever I had on hand, suitably cut with perlite, of course. If I thought there were bugs in it, I dampened a quantity of it, placed it in a shallow dish, covered it, and chucked it into the oven for about 30 minutes. I always forget the proper temperature and end up having to do a web-search for it each time. But not like 350F or anything. 270F? 250F? Yeah, forgot again, lol.

If I'm looking for a long term, low-maintenance solution, it probably won't be something that has a high percentage of coco coir in it, it'll be a product that at least pays lip service to the term "soil." Something that I'd stick a houseplant in and not worry if I was a little lackadaisical from time to time when it came to feeding/watering.

By the way, Seedsman stopped being a forum sponsor some time around the end of May, so there's no point in "paging" the rep (adding the "@" symbol as a prefix). It is doubtful that he/she would see such a thing, and pretty much a certainty that you won't be getting a reply any time soon.

However... I am interested in some of that company's house-brand of strains. What do you have coming?

I just always used something like Fox Farm's Happy Frog. Or Ocean Forest. Or a blend of the two. Whatever I had on hand, suitably cut with perlite, of course. If I thought there were bugs in it, I dampened a quantity of it, placed it in a shallow dish, covered it, and chucked it into the oven for about 30 minutes. I always forget the proper temperature and end up having to do a web-search for it each time. But not like 350F or anything. 270F? 250F? Yeah, forgot again, lol.

If I'm looking for a long term, low-maintenance solution, it probably won't be something that has a high percentage of coco coir in it, it'll be a product that at least pays lip service to the term "soil." Something that I'd stick a houseplant in and not worry if I was a little lackadaisical from time to time when it came to feeding/watering.

By the way, Seedsman stopped being a forum sponsor some time around the end of May, so there's no point in "paging" the rep (adding the "@" symbol as a prefix). It is doubtful that he/she would see such a thing, and pretty much a certainty that you won't be getting a reply any time soon.

However... I am interested in some of that company's house-brand of strains. What do you have coming?
bake the bugs away. nice! thats not a bad idea.

i had no idea about seedsman! i actually saw they stopped taking new customers at the end of may too. wild.

sorry to disappoint, but aside from seedsman freebies (blueberry auto and amnesia haze auto), all of the seeds im acquiring are from amsterdam genetics, barneys farm, bc bud depot, dutch passion, greenhouse, HSO, dinafem and fastbuds

Mother earth makes a decent coco. I'm trying out one of their new products that's a blend of peat, guano, worm castings and perlite....jury's still out.
I've heard canna makes a REALLY clean coco.
I tried some from Walmart once and that was a wreck, almost lost all my plants!
I also have a few bricks of GH cocotek in the garage i haven't gotten to yet because I've been too busy to fuss with rehydrating them LOL

I use Botanicare bricks.
Very high quality coco with even consistency in it's texture
Very easy to re hydrate in a plastic tub
Never found any contaminates in it, and I bake the bricks at 275F for 2 hours
Just to be safe

I've used Canna, Botanicare, Mother Earth, and Complete.......all with good results.
If you want to top dress.......I suggest soil and not coco.
If you want to mix something in your soil......use peat moss.

Back
Top Bottom