Converting a heating thermostat to a cooling

cflgrow

Hey everyone! I bought a Honeywell 'baseboard heater thermostat' so activate the fans in my grow cab. Buuut then I realized that this thermostat only engages when temperatures 'drop' below a certain point.

Any creative folks out there know how to use this thermostat to work my fans? Somehow when this thermostat disengages, I need that to turn on my fans.

Any thoughts would be great!

Re: Converting a heating thermostat to a cooling.

Thanks Drew. I looked up the relay style you're talking about... it's called an NO relay switch. Only problem is... I'm really not sure where to look for these kinds of things. This weekend I'll go to some electrical parts stores... but is there any chance you know of an easier place to find them? Home Hardware, etc.?

I would just get a cooling thermostat....Honeywell also makes em for A/C and swamp coolers.

NO relay switch - NO = Normally Open

should be able to find it at homedepot, but ya might hafta look for it

Seems a lot easier to get a thermostat designed for cooling than buying parts to rig the incorrect one to work.

I had a problem with some industrial digital controls that worked the way you described, but I was able to fix mine with programming. I am sure you do not have that option.

Hey guys! I took a different approach. I found a heating/cooling thermostat, and I'll just ignore the heating aspect.

Now I've realized that this is actually 'still' a chore. The inputs and outputs aren't what I would expect... it's looking for a 24V input... and there are single outputs for the furnace, the furnace fan, the AC, etc...

Does anyone here have experience with thermostats? I don't think I can wire my 12V fans directly into this thermo. Any ideas how I rig it all up?

Hey guys! I took a different approach. I found a heating/cooling thermostat, and I'll just ignore the heating aspect.

Now I've realized that this is actually 'still' a chore. The inputs and outputs aren't what I would expect... it's looking for a 24V input... and there are single outputs for the furnace, the furnace fan, the AC, etc...

Does anyone here have experience with thermostats? I don't think I can wire my 12V fans directly into this thermo. Any ideas how I rig it all up?

can you supply a make and model of your thermostat?

They are just basically dual function thermostats. One for heating and one for cooling. They come many price ranges are in all the home centers.

You cannot run your fans with the output. That output only has the power to control a relay. You send an output signal from the thermostat that controls a relay and that controls whatever you are operating (cooling in this case). I would imagine you can get that relay at the same home center as the thermostat. If not, go to Radio Shack. Pretty slick and you should be able to run the maximum voltage and current through the relay switches to operate your cooling. So you need 12v coil voltage from the thermostat and probably 20 amp switches on the relay. Slick as pie.

Well mine is a globe 5 + 2 programmable. I couldn't find a detailed web page on it... but here it is:

thermostats

It's the first one.

G-Dog, you sound like you know what you're talking about... but I didn't really understand it. Someone else also told me that the thermo would only power a relay... can you condense you 'thermo to relay to fans' knowledge for me? Give me a bit of a DIY tutorial on how to make this happen?

I was starting to make a print for you but I'm sure that G-Dog will set you straight.....

You should also be able to get a temp control that is line voltage. I installed one in my wifes greenhouse to operate a 110v exhaust fan, pretty sure it's a Honeywell. Or check with your local Menards too-I'm pretty sure you could find one there and then you don't have to worry about a control circuit at all. All you need is a temp. control that closes on rise of temperature and is whatevery your line voltage is I'd say.

Something like this should work and they make others that cost more: Dayton 2E816 Line Voltage Ventilation Control

Back
Top Bottom