Cool Tube or Cooled Reflector?

EyelessMaggot

Hi guys!

So Im into my first grow and the weather has cheered up thus raising room temps and now Im trying to decide which would be more efficient for my set up.

I have a 1.2x1.2x2 meter grow tent with two 4 inch fans, one at the top one at the bottom, 5 inch extractor kit and a 600w hps light with reflector.

Looking to get one or the other asap if I could get some guidance that would be great :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using 420

Well the original cool tube design had a very small reflector & you get a lot of light loss with those as it just bouncing all over the show... i do believe they have a better design these days tho with a larger reflector but have seen an another model called VSCR6000 Virtual Sun Open Cool Tube Grow Light Hood which looks very good ! ( wanna check that one out )

I would be more in favour of air cooled hood closed ends as you get more directional light towards your plants bit like a torch beam with little light loss :thumb:

Don't over look reflector design & a parabolic might be another option ?

I was thinking of trying to remove the stock reflector and attach the cool tube to my current reflector

i personally prefer the sealed reflector, however the cool tubes are much more space friendly.

if you are just growing for yourself, i would say just buy what fits best. A cooltube will fit better in a small space, a sealed reflector typically fits better on your yield. (not always, lots of factors)

you pick, i doubt the difference on a single 600 watt will be anything too substantial, especially if you are still learning and refining your skills.

One thing about cool tubes I have heard is the tube makes weird hot spots of light because of the spherical nature of the glass.

They say you lose more PAR through the glass of a hood because the light is usually further away from the glass but I figure that would be a negligible amount.

Cheers guys, regardless with this Im going to need an intake fan as well as the extractor arent i?

Complete newbie question here lol where abouts should i be taking temp readings from inside the tent? Every where gives me different results due to fans and the light etc

One thing about cool tubes I have heard is the tube makes weird hot spots of light because of the spherical nature of the glass.

They say you lose more PAR through the glass of a hood because the light is usually further away from the glass but I figure that would be a negligible amount.

valid points, however, it also depends on your personal setup. i find no difference if i use my sealed hood vs open reflector. reason being..
open reflector needs to stay farther away from the plants, sealed hood could touch them if your really want, the glass barely gets warm.

so if your lighting a bigger space, might be worth it to go open reflector and farther from the plants, or if its a smaller area, sealed and closer.

of course if your running into heat issues, the open reflector isnt really an option. In which case, i personally would still choose the sealed hood. only becasue typically a sealed hood has a better relfector than a cooltube.

Cheers guys, regardless with this Im going to need an intake fan as well as the extractor arent i?

Complete newbie question here lol where abouts should i be taking temp readings from inside the tent? Every where gives me different results due to fans and the light etc

If you get a sealed unit (reflector or cooltube) you shouldnt need an intake fan. An exhaust fan should do well enough. Simply leave one end of the hood or cooltube open so it draws air from the grow. assuming you have either a scrubber, or dont care about the smell.

for temps, i normally place my thermometer at canopy height, out of the light.

Its just a 120cm tent 200cm tall so I think a sealed unit is the way to go then, blooming just bought a reflector lol

Its just a 120cm tent 200cm tall so I think a sealed unit is the way to go then, blooming just bought a reflector lol

sounds like your best bet.

i have a 4x2x6 cabinet i built ( 120cm x 60cm x 200cm ish) running a 400 watt CMH, in a sealed hood, and a 6" can fan running 1/2 power and a filter (should be about 100cfm at that load and power) and the cabinet gets to be about 5F higher than the temp outside the cab. (about 2.5C).

If i crank my fan to max its closer to 3F

If you get a sealed unit (reflector or cooltube) you shouldnt need an intake fan. An exhaust fan should do well enough. Simply leave one end of the hood or cooltube open so it draws air from the grow. assuming you have either a scrubber, or dont care about the smell.

for temps, i normally place my thermometer at canopy height, out of the light.

Always wondered where people put their thermometers, I put mine right on the top of the reflector, it never even feels warm when I touch it, though I am only using a 400w.

One thing I think that might be different is that with a cooled hood you can take off the glass to clean it. As opposed to having to take out the light to clean a cool tube... Less handling of the light.

on top of the reflector works, only problem is it will show a little higher than what it really is from the heat transfer through the hood.

you will always get a high reading in the light, but thats not really whats important. if you can place the back of your hand where the tallest leaf is, and it doesnt feel hot, as well as your temps at the same level ( but not in direct light) are in a good range, you are golden.

+1 on the cleaning. much easier on a sealed until.

You only loose about 10% of par or light energy through glass it will also be worth cleaning after every grow or two as dust/dirt build may increase the % over time.

Thermometer reading is ideally around plant canopy level.

Some people can get away with just a single exhaust fan some thing like this - carbon filter > ducting > air cooled hood > ducting > exhaust fan.

Basic set up with passive intake.

Back
Top Bottom