Cooltube vs Reflector

Quagga

Hi all. I trying to build my second growbox. First one was very simple, but now time to upgrade.

I have question related cooling of HPS lamp. I have HPS 250w and box 60x60x160. I need to choose cooltube or reflector. I read that cooltube decrease efficiency of lamp because it is cooling lamp bulb and lamp can not flare up at full power. Is it true? Maybe someone done some tests?

What do you think, guys?

Thank you! :peace:

Because of the cooltube you will lose some of the hps bulbs lumen output. i cannot remember how much it is exactly. but you should probably look into a reflector/hood instead. Which brand of bulb are you using..?

I used to do donut grow with a 250w vertical, and only one bathroom ventilator blowing cold air on the bulb. i got 120g dry weed using this method.

BTW - i tried cooltube ones with a 400w hps, and the cooltube cracked, so they gave me a new one and that cracked too. Since that i have never used cooltubes.

Because of the cooltube you will lose some of the hps bulbs lumen output. i cannot remember how much it is exactly. but you should probably look into a reflector/hood instead. Which brand of bulb are you using..?

I used to do donut grow with a 250w vertical, and only one bathroom ventilator blowing cold air on the bulb. i got 120g dry weed using this method.

BTW - i tried cooltube ones with a 400w hps, and the cooltube cracked, so they gave me a new one and that cracked too. Since that i have never used cooltubes.

Yes, with cooltube will be some loss of luxes (Cooltube glass takes 3 - 5 % plus after some time of usage it will be covered by dirt), but I can put my lamp closer to plant. What do you think?

Unfortunately I have noname brand HPS bulb, it is cheap and it will be my first grow under HPS.

Thanks! :high-five:

Yes, with cooltube will be some loose of luxes, but i can put my lamp closer to plant. What do you think?
Unfortunately I have noname brand HPS bulb, it is cheap and it will be my first grow under HPS.

Thanks! :high-five:

Here is a picture from the donut growing, at my hand you can see the bulb is hanging vertical. This was later in the progess - i started with a scrog net and 4 plants.
matha1.JPG

Yep, i like the idea of the cooltube, but not when losing lumens, and that bulb doesn't put out that much - i'd find another method. But it'll work, and a 250w hps can grow some very fine weed indeed. :)

But i am not sure if you are able to control the temps in there using a reflector/hood.

you will never notice the loss of lumens with a cooltube. I ran a 600w HPS in a cooltube in a tent more or less the same size as yours, and was able to get it to within 6 inches of the plant tps, with zero burning or bleaching - just make sure to get an extractor fan running air through it and it will beat a reflector hands down :Namaste:

I am running 2 600W hps cool tubes with 40" reflectors....lightweight and it has made major difference in my grow and temps vs running 2 600W HPS open reflectors that was just to much work trying to keep heat and environment controllable.

I have had no issues with heat or the glass/tube and I can keep them as close as 12" no problems.

For me it was money well spent...my room is larger though 8'L x 7.5'W x 8'H

I run bulbs with 91,000 lumens and my dimmable ballasts are set at 110% power and sure like the harvests they produce :high-five:

I wipe the tubes once a week for any external dust and use a thin charcoal pad that fits over the opening in the cool tube to catch any fine dust and it keeps the bulbs and inside of the tubes CLEAN.

Here's a shot of one....they are huge and throw tons of light

0071189.JPG

018395.JPG

jummejum, theengineer, Heady,

Thank you guys!

Unfortunately for me I able to buy only this one Prima Klima Cool Tube 125/400.

It is not so nice as yours :thumb:

I am running 2 600W hps cool tubes with 40" reflectors....lightweight and it has made major difference in my grow and temps vs running 2 600W HPS open reflectors that was just to much work trying to keep heat and environment controllable.

I have had no issues with heat or the glass/tube and I can keep them as close as 12" no problems.

For me it was money well spent...my room is larger though 8'L x 7.5'W x 8'H

I run bulbs with 91,000 lumens and my dimmable ballasts are set at 110% power and sure like the harvests they produce :high-five:

I wipe the tubes once a week for any external dust and use a thin charcoal pad that fits over the opening in the cool tube to catch any fine dust and it keeps the bulbs and inside of the tubes CLEAN.

Here's a shot of one....they are huge and throw tons of light

0071189.JPG

018395.JPG

I really really like that tube/hood ! That is way nicer than mine... What brand is that?

I really really like that tube/hood ! That is way nicer than mine... What brand is that?

It is a "Solar System" Saturn 6

They have another with a few more inches of reflector and it comes in 8" tube.

It was Jimmy 6K journal last yr that encouraged me to purchase 2 of the monsters.

Good catch Fuzzy on the 60cm x 60cm I missed that and went straight to cooltube info.

I say cool tube all they way. I just switched to air cooled hoods in my flowering room and I'm loving it.

My temps range from 70-76 degrees F in there from lights on till lights off and I'm running 1600 watts in a 9ftx8ft room. Yesterday I hooked up my 600 and stuck it in my room in an air cooled hood and temps only rose 2 degrees. I'll never go back to regular reflectors, just so I don't have to deal with the constant headache of controlling temps.

Back
Top Bottom