Could I put COBs in these LED fixtures?

I saw your UFO conversion you're starting.
Do you think I'd have to upgrade my heat sink?
420-magazine-mobile1879616589.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I think if you run just 2 chips at that low current you will probably be fine with that sink because the fan is there also. That's my bet. Your not going to need to be dissipating many watts of heat.

No problem. Yep, it mostly because that chip uses twice the voltage instead of twice the current. I hope you keep this thread going during your project. Pretty cool.
By the way. Those were rough figures with their 3500k chips

I will keep it goin for sure, lol I know I'll need more help and have a ton more questions.

If you run just 2 chips of the 1818 you will end up with a true 50-55w light that will work pretty good. If you run 4 chips your looking at a 100-110 true watt light that will be amazing but I think your looking to upgrade the heatsinks if you go 4.

I do believe I'll try 4 and upgrade to bigger heat sinks.

Do you know a place I might find the citizen cobs in the flavor needed? I looked at the place you told me about, and a couple others too. Can't tell if they're in stock on some of sites.
Guess I'm not understanding the sites.

You looking for 3500k?

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App
I was yes, but after your pm I looked for 4000k and found them on Jamie's site.
I thought 3500k was the better color temp.

I was yes, but after your pm I looked for 4000k and found them on Jamie's site.
I thought 3500k was the better color temp.

If your going with the 1818 I would go 4000k. If you look it gives you a good amount of blue for veg as well as a ton of red for flower. It really depends on the chip. If you were going with say Cree I would say go 3500k because they are a little different light spectrum then the Citi's.
Looks like Jamie has 4 left in stock of the 4000k's too.

Hey fanleaf I have more questions lol.
So I have the same fixture as mouser in the other thread about upgrading his to use Vero chips.
My light is a 2 cob fixture driven by four 28-36V 1200mA drivers, 2 per cob.
Can I use the drivers the way they're wired now. Witch according to mouser thread they're wired in parallel.

Can I just replace the current cobs for some 1818's or something like that. So I can reuse the heat sinks and fans?

Here's a few pics.
420-magazine-mobile371039275.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1523254792.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1295581933.jpg

No, simply because the 1818 is a 50V chip. However, you could go with the Cree CXB3070! They are only $32 each! They arent quite a 3590 but very very close!

You could also go 3590! More money though.
With either of those chips you could run with only 1 driver per chip which will be about 40 watts per chip (either chip) or run both drivers parallel like they are for about 55-60W per chip with the CXB3070!

running both drivers in parallel with the 3590 would give roughly 75W per chip!!! Dang

That is if those drivers put out what they say they do mind you.

Also, the obvious downfall of those drivers is that it's either on or off. No dimming. Unless......you put a switch on the 2nd drivers on both chips. That would need to be wired correctly but then you could run 1 driver per chip or 2 with the flip of a switch! You would need 2 double pole single throw switches.

Also, if you did go Cree I would go 3500k for both veg and flower. Not 4000k with the Cree

Hell ya thanks man youre the shite!
Based on the drivers being maybe not so great. Is the one chip that would be better than the other?

And what voltage should I get if I go with Cree, the 36V right? They are quite a bit more expensive than the 3070

36v chip. The 3590 would give you the most with that driver. The 3070 would be next. You may be able to use a vero? Want me to check? The citizen 1818 could be used but let me check out how much they will be putting out with those drivers because it may not be very much at all

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks man I really do appreciate you helping me and answering my dumb questions over and over again.

Hey fanleaf!
So the 4 cob's for the regular led fixture will be here in the next few days.
I gotta say though I bought the cxm22's and not the 1818's.
I did this because of the price difference, ordering 4 22's saved almost $30.
Plz dont be mad, I know you recommend the citizen cobs!

But for now the budget dictates my build. But with a lil income tax cash I'll build 1 from scratch with Cree or citizen cob's.

But can you point me in a direction of heat sinks?
420-magazine-mobile1940802974.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1011399034.jpg

From my guess I think the heat sink is about 4x7 or so. I need another sink like it or can I use a different type of sink altogether?
Oh also do I need to get a piece of aluminum that'll replace the board with the led's on it?
Or can I reuse the existing board?

Back
Top Bottom