Could I put COBs in these LED fixtures?

Thanks fanleaf, should I drill a hole in the led panel that's already in the fixture. Like you did to your UFO fixture?

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks fanleaf, should I drill a hole in the led panel that's already in the fixture. Like you did to your UFO fixture?

Well, I'm not sure because I cut the hole because I used a small PC heasink and fan that I then bolted right to the Mars LED panel. How will you be mounting you cobs?

That's the part I'm totally unsure of. I really have no idea how I should mount them

If you use Ideal solderless chip holders you can use small nuts and bolts to bolt the chip holders right to the clean side of the Mars panel. Those holders will keep a tight fit between your chip, thermal paste and Mars LED board. I think the CXM's use the same Ideal solderless holders as 1 of the Citizens. Jaime could tell you which one fits it.

They do use the same holders, according to Jamie's site. So I would need to flip the led panel over and bolt the holder to the flat clean metal side?
That would then place the heat sink on the outside or same side as the cobs and no longer have the fans hitting the sink.
The fans would be blowing directly onto the led side of the panel.

Is this what you ment?
Will flipping the panel over work?

Hey fanleaf, sorry another stupid question.
With my two 80-110V 560mA drivers that I'll be running 4 cxm22's on.
Should they be wired in series or parallel?
I thought series but am not sure. And on Jamie's site the holder depends on how it's wired.

Thank you, I'll order the holders now. Should I get the herbal patches or paste?

Ok so got the cob's, holders, Arctic 5 silver paste today gonna grab a piece of aluminum and some screws to hold everything together!

Do I need to tape the holes in drill or is there a self tapping screw it can use?
And what size screws should I use? I suppose I can just take a one with me to the store and match it up.

Hope I'm finished with it today!

I used 3mm nuts and bolts. I got a new piece of aluminum to mount the cobs and holders to also.

Got it done last night and tried it out. DAMN it's bright as the sun compared to what it was!

420-magazine-mobile2117613439.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1416010444.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1495828198.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1155003660.jpg

Thank you fanleaf for all your help and guidance, after putting this thing together and seeing the difference it intensity. I can't wait to start on the next light!

I used 3mm nuts and bolts. I got a new piece of aluminum to mount the cobs and holders to also.

Got it done last night and tried it out. DAMN it's bright as the sun compared to what it was!

420-magazine-mobile2117613439.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1416010444.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1495828198.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1155003660.jpg

Thank you fanleaf for all your help and guidance, after putting this thing together and seeing the difference it intensity. I can't wait to start on the next light!

Are the sinks working out well? I would have had some big ass sinks in there over the chips but when its cool enough, why not

Current Grow SeymoreNuggets Flowering Journal - Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2x3 - 420W DIY COB

My journey seeking the light. Found some
SeymoreNuggets DIY For Noobs - Build Lights - CO2 Supplements - Auto-Watering - More

I believe so, I don't have a temp gun. I do have a thermometer that says the canopy is 82°.

It's the same sink and fans that were in it.
How can I tell without a temp gun or something like that?

I'm not sure actually. The drivers are 36V 1.2mA so that's about 42w right?

I'm not sure actually. The drivers are 36V 1.2mA so that's about 42w right?

Yeah but there were 4 drivers right? I think that was a Mars 300 wasnt it?
Just leave it on for an hour man, then put the back of your hand on the aluminum close as you can to the cobs one at a time. If that stays roughly 110 degrees f or lower your fine. The aluminum should be warm on the back of your hand but if its too warm to hold your hand there you will need to re-heatsink it.

I'm sorry I was wrong. The drivers in there are two 80-110v 560mA it's a galaxyhydro "300w" fixture.
And I can leave my hand on the plate indefinitely. It's barely warm to the touch, well in the middle of the plate anyway.
I haven't tried touching the plate closer to the chip itself.
I'll give it a try.

I looked at lil for a similar sink but didn't have much luck and didn't really know what I needed either lol.

Back
Top Bottom