Could I put COBs in these LED fixtures?

Go ahead and start a thread and tell me where it is man. We shouldnt blow up Twin Turbos thread

right, sorry twinturbo.. i went and ordered a meanwell driver as well (HLG-240H-C1050B), u convinced me theres no point in half assing it at this point, i'll start a thread when stuff shows up and i get started..

that said, my original question for twinturbo stands... or anyone.. how do you typically mount the cobs onto the old fixtures? do you drill into the heat sink and then screw in the holders?

Hey hempofthedead, for my fixture I just got a piece of aluminum from a local windmill building company. It cost me $10.
The heat sinks were screwed to the original led panel that came email with the light.
I marked and drilled holes in the new aluminum plate and used small 3x8mm nuts and bolts to attach the heat sink and holders to the new aluminum plate. I don't remember the size bit I used it think maybe 1/8" maybe...

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hey hempofthedead, for my fixture I just got a piece of aluminum from a local windmill building company. It cost me $10.
The heat sinks were screwed to the original led panel that came email with the light.
I marked and drilled holes in the new aluminum plate and used small 3x8mm nuts and bolts to attach the heat sink and holders to the new aluminum plate. I don't remember the size bit I used it think maybe 1/8" maybe...

Hope this helps and good luck!

thank you! this is helpful... would you in theory want thermal grease between the aluminum and heat sink in that set up? also, those molex like solderless connectors you seem to be using to connect the chips, wtf are those called so I can buy some

Lol yes I forgot to mention I used Arctic paste. I got my COB'S and holders from cob kits dot com. The holders are Ideal Holder 50-2204-CT

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Go ahead and start a thread and tell me where it is man. We shouldnt blow up Twin Turbos thread

thanks again for helping me sort out the parts... i plan to start the build/thread early next week when the parts get here.. working on my plan now.. quick question for you regarding your advanced platinum conversion:

did you use the existing AP driver to power the normal LEDs, or hook them up to the meanwell? specifically i'm considering keeping a single 60-90v driver (of the 3) to power some 3w leds, and adding the meanwell to power the 3 cob's.. and i'm trying to picture what the circuit would look like.. My unit has a single switch and i ordered a pot for the meanwell.

Ya it's up and running. I'm gonna start a new build from scratch for my new tent soon.

Ya it's up and running. I'm gonna start a new build from scratch for my new tent soon.

what chips did you end up using? did you end up keeping both drivers and using them in parallell or ditching two of them? were there any issues? do u have any pics?

apologies for all the questions.. im about to place a bigger order to convert that as well as do a fresh build

For the fixture in this thread I went with 4 cxm22's.
I used the same drivers and wiring that the fixture came with . I just took the led panel out and plugged in my cobs.
It was wired in series and still is.
I posted pics of it finished on page 6.
I also have a Roleadro "400w" COB fixture that fan said cree 3590 would work in. So I'll be switching to 2 of them also.

I also have a Roleadro "400w" COB fixture that fan said cree 3590 would work in. So I'll be switching to 2 of them also.

sorry for the confusion... this is the one I was curious about.. id like to do the same with mine, and am on the verge of potentially ordering the chips

Oh ok haha, I miss understood you.
Yeah I'll be using the 3590's, I believe in 36V and just a straight cob swap. Nothing else will change.

You could also go 3590! More money though.
With either of those chips you could run with only 1 driver per chip which will be about 40 watts per chip (either chip) or run both drivers parallel like they are for about 55-60W per chip with the CXB3070!

running both drivers in parallel with the 3590 would give roughly 75W per chip!!! Dang

hey leaf.. i have this same light (roleadro '400w') and a pair of 3590s to attempt the convert. im debating the parallel route for more power, but am having trouble visualizing what that would look like.. do you simply solder 2 leads to each contact point on the chip, 1 from each driver? i attempted to crudely draw what i mean, where D=36v 1.2ma driver and C = 3590 chip. that sorta looks like what the chinese did

.............________
........(-) |............|
|||||___/||||\......|||||
||D|.....||C||||......||D|
|||||......\||||/.(+).|||||
|_________|.|____|

twinturbogod... fyi i did a convert on the roleadro.. came out good. I did not want to mess with converting their reflector too much, so at the moment i just screwed the holder into the existing heatsink and screwed on the ledil reflectors.. some open space but works well..

i also added 2 switches where the daisy chain part was, to enable the second driver on each light optionally. the light pulls essentially 50 watts a driver, so pulls either 95, 150, or 203 or so watts from the wall depending on if the lights are driven by 2, 3, or 4 drivers.. im happy with it.. good luck with your conversion!

20170307_150032.jpg

20170308_193727.jpg

the Ideal Ideal 50-2300AN reflector adaptor screwed directly into what was there with no additional drilling or conversion, which made it easier. i think if you wanted you could cut the square bottom off the original reflector and use that.. so if you did not want to go the ideal/angelina adaptor and reflector route, i'd imagine kapton tape and a dremel for the original reflectors would work too

Why does no one on 420 use the cxms yet.

According to everything I read they are now the best bang for your buck next to the citi.

I still believe we are going a little nuts with these builds.

1 cob per square foot is like adding 4x 1000 Watt hps then dimming is it not?

I run 4x citi1825 with fantastic results and I only had to buy 4 heatsinks = $$$$ in hand.

Crop King White Cookies - Drip Irrigation - DIY Citi Cobs - SCROG

Back
Top Bottom