Could I put COBs in these LED fixtures?

Thanks for this! I am about to do the same thing with a different plurple galaxyhydro hydro 300w... the unit I have contains 3 60-90 volt 500ma drivers... based on this I have decided to go with 3 72v cree 3590s, one per driver.. it seemed to me like that was the best way to maximize that driver setup...

anyway, the one part im not sure about yet is the mounting, so question for you!! could you explain in more detail your mounting / heat sinking sitch? were you able to use what was there or is that custom aluminum? if it is custom, how is it mounted to the fixture/heat sink?

thanks

Thanks for this! I am about to do the same thing with a different plurple galaxyhydro hydro 300w... the unit I have contains 3 60-90 volt 500ma drivers... based on this I have decided to go with 3 72v cree 3590s, one per driver.. it seemed to me like that was the best way to maximize that driver setup...

anyway, the one part im not sure about yet is the mounting, so question for you!! could you explain in more detail your mounting / heat sinking sitch? were you able to use what was there or is that custom aluminum? if it is custom, how is it mounted to the fixture/heat sink?

thanks

You do know you will end up with only a 80-90 watt light with 3 cobs and those drivers right?

hehe. Yeah, I think at .500 they may run as low as 68v or lower. Not sure. So I guess it would be about a 100w light if the drivers put out full rated output (doubtfull)

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

hehe. Yeah, I think at .500 they may run as low as 68v or lower. Not sure. So I guess it would be about a 100w light if the drivers put out full rated output (doubtfull)

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

well, right... I guess what are the viable alternatives? I was originally thinking 4x ~50volt chips until I saw it was 3 60-90v drivers as opposed to the OPs pair of 80-110vs...

so then i was considering 2x ~34-37 volt chips per driver.. but I figured getting 6 chips was starting to creep up in price and 3 72 volts seemed easier to work with for similar output... am I wrong in thinking that?

edit: specifically, what do u guys think is the most powerful way to use those 3 drivers?

well, right... I guess what are the viable alternatives? I was originally thinking 4x ~50volt chips until I saw it was 3 60-90v drivers as opposed to the OPs pair of 80-110vs...

so then i was considering 2x ~34-37 volt chips per driver.. but I figured getting 6 chips was starting to creep up in price and 3 72 volts seemed easier to work with for similar output... am I wrong in thinking that?
Honestly. I would put all 3 drivers together in parallel so you have 60-90V at 1.5 amps available. Then I would run 2 Vero 29 gen 7's like the BXRC-40E10K0-D-73 off of it in series. That chip runs at about 37.4 volts at 1.5 amps so you would get 56 watts per each chip. End up with 110-115W light if the driver does what it says it will. I think with those drivers that's about the best you could do. Just a funky driver voltage there.

Honestly. I would put all 3 drivers together in parallel so you have 60-90V at 1.5 amps available. Then I would run 2 Vero 29 gen 7's like the BXRC-40E10K0-D-73 off of it in series. That chip runs at about 37.4 volts at 1.5 amps so you would get 56 watts per each chip. End up with 110-115W light if the driver does what it says it will. I think with those drivers that's about the best you could do. Just a funky driver voltage there.

interesting.. yeah that is what I thought too, re the funkiness.. that said, where are you guys typically ordering these cobs from, and where tends to be the quickest? (im bored)..

that also said.. say for the sake of argument that I jumped the gun and ordered 3x of those (also funkily volted) 72volt crees from mouser and am now having some buyers remorse after i remembered how parallel circuits worked just now.. what to make of them?

for the record, I also have that roleadro fixture the OP has.. would the 72vs work in there?

interesting.. yeah that is what I thought too, re the funkiness.. that said, where are you guys typically ordering these cobs from, and where tends to be the quickest? (im bored)..

that also said.. say for the sake of argument that I jumped the gun and ordered 3x of those (also funkily volted) 72volt crees from mouser and am now having some buyers remorse after i remembered how parallel circuits worked just now.. what to make of them?

for the record, I also have that roleadro fixture the OP has.. would the 72vs work in there?

Well, you could just go the extra mile and build a top end light at this point. Get rid of those inefficient drivers and build it to last a lifetime.
For $51 you could order a Meanwell HLG-185H-C700B and run all 3 of those @700mA for a total of a 0-146W adjustable light. Or you could order a HLG-185H-C1400B and just run 2 of those chips and have adjustment from 0-208 watts.
Or a HLG-240H-C1050B with all 3 chips and have adjustment from 0-225w light.

Well, you could just go the extra mile and build a top end light at this point. Get rid of those inefficient drivers and build it to last a lifetime.

i'm starting to think this is where this is going :p I have electrical skills/tools.. and a basic drill/dremel.. but no real access to machining/raw aluminum/other hardware items.. i currently have 4 cheapo lights, a 36'' x 20'' veg area, and a 32''x32'' second flower area..

im trying to optimize the power in the 32x32 space while using ~350 total watts or so (across 2 or 3 fixtures), and add a second 36''x20'' veg area.

given lack of hardware, converting these cheapo lights seemed attractive...

For $51 you could order a Meanwell HLG-185H-C700B and run all 3 of those @700mA for a total of a 0-146W adjustable light. Or you could order a HLG-185H-C1400B and just run 2 of those chips and have adjustment from 0-208 watts.
Or a HLG-240H-C1050B with all 3 chips and have adjustment from 0-225w light.

where would you order these guys from if you were me?

Also. If you go the Meanwell route you may need to externally mount it like I did in my 3 chip.

interesting... well, shit.. at this point im pot committed. lighting budget getting cray, but say i go the maxwell route... i ordered 3x 3590s and 3 holders for them (link at bottom for holders.. )

my question is.. what am i missing? do i need lenses or cups? do i need anything special to hook up the maxwell to the circuit? im about to look through you build, but trying to figure out everything id need to do it right

(2213407-2 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser)

also out of curiosity.. the roleadro 400w (that i also have)... that has 4 28-36v / 2.1A drivers.. two of those 72 watt crees could be driven by those correct? would have to be something like two drivers and a cob in series, parrallel with another two drivers and a cob in a series... right?

interesting... well, shit.. at this point im pot committed. lighting budget getting cray, but say i go the maxwell route... i ordered 3x 3590s and 3 holders for them (link at bottom for holders.. )

my question is.. what am i missing? do i need lenses or cups? do i need anything special to hook up the maxwell to the circuit? im about to look through you build, but trying to figure out everything id need to do it right

(2213407-2 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser)

The Meanwells can be bought at Mouser. Just copy and paste the model numbers I shown above. Just be sure whatever one you get you get one that ends with a "B". That way you can add the dimmer pot.

Those are cool chip holders but expensive and they won't fit your chips man. Those are for CXA25XX series. The Ideal solderless holders I use are $2.50 each. Part number 50-2303CR. You can get them anywhere but Rapid LED has them.
I'll be back in a sec with more info

The Meanwells can be bought at Mouser. Just copy and paste the model numbers I shown above. Just be sure whatever one you get you get one that ends with a "B". That way you can add the dimmer pot.

Those are cool chip holders but expensive and they won't fit your chips man. Those are for CXA25XX series. The Ideal solderless holders I use are $2.50 each. Part number 50-2303CR. You can get them anywhere but Rapid LED has them.
I'll be back in a sec with more info

bleh on the chip holders, its the ones mouser linked with the chip... i appreciate the help! one of the main issues i was hesitant toward full on diy is sorting thru the tons of different components besides just the chips

bleh on the chip holders, its the ones mouser linked with the chip... i appreciate the help! one of the main issues i was hesitant toward full on diy is sorting thru the tons of different components besides just the chips

Mouser should take them back and pay return shipping since they linked them. I looked at the data sheet on them and the data sheet says CXA25.
The holder you need is Ideal 50-2303CR. You dont really need reflectors but you can always add them at a later date if you want.

also out of curiosity.. the roleadro 400w (that i also have)... that has 4 28-36v / 2.1A drivers.. two of those 72 watt crees could be driven by those correct? would have to be something like two drivers and a cob in series, parrallel with another two drivers and a cob in a series... right?

Problem there is the voltage. Will they work in series? Yes, will it be able to push 2.1 amps to the chips? no. Because your 2 drivers together give yyou 72 volts. 72v Will only push the chip to about 1150mA. To get them to be able to use more of the amperage you need about 73 volts. Yes, 4 drivers with 2 chips that way would work. It would result in a 78 watt per chip light. Because at 72 volts the chips run at about 1100mA. That's if the drivers will do what they say they will.

Problem there is the voltage. Will they work in series? Yes, will it be able to push 2.1 amps to the chips? no. Because your 2 drivers together give yyou 72 volts. 72v Will only push the chip to about 1150mA. To get them to be able to use more of the amperage you need about 73 volts. Yes, 4 drivers with 2 chips that way would work. It would result in a 78 watt per chip light. Because at 72 volts the chips run at about 1100mA. That's if the drivers will do what they say they will.

hrmm, is that a problem though? as far as i can tell it seems like ~1.2a is the ideal current for those 72v chips?

Mouser should take them back and pay return shipping since they linked them. I looked at the data sheet on them and the data sheet says CXA25.
The holder you need is Ideal 50-2303CR. You dont really need reflectors but you can always add them at a later date if you want.

thank you! i just ordered the correct stuff from rapidled! okay, i am going to throw you for one more loop cuz i am crazy and im trying to work backwards.

i also ordered this a few days ago: Model 1CL

that has the HLG-185H-C1400B driver. i have no clue when it will show up (which is partly why i started down the conversion path cuz plants need to move asap), but in theory, can I add on a 72v cree to what is already there?

Also. If you go the Meanwell route you may need to externally mount it like I did in my 3 chip.

sorry for blowing you up man, my mind is just racing with options :p i have a question on this vid, what supplimentary leds did you use? im wondering if i did happen to go the conversion route and do one cree per 60-90v driver, if i could suppliment the power by adding additional leds or smaller ~10-15 volt cobs to get to ~120 watts or so

Back
Top Bottom