Critique my Living Soil recipe

Wow that feather meal cooks in pretty hot (acidic). Expect to add more lime if you use it. Must be the 12,200 ppm sulfur (over twice what's in the blood meal) that causes the soil to go so acidic.

I never even spray my plants in veg if I can help it (mites are a different story).

Not sure about that.

I like to foiler mainly in VEG.

In flower you can spray too - just be mindful of what you are spraying.

Anything water soluble is good and how I do it.

@009sleepy here’s the study:

I usually find that people who are preoccupied with PH come from hydro or synthetic nutrients background and if you don’t grow organically it has a certain value, but if you don’t it’s useless.

As far as bloodmeal I’d be extremely careful in dosing this shit. I didn’t like what it did to my outdoor plants and I only added two tbs per plant. Indoor I’d stay away or use it only of other means of providing nitrogen are impossible.
I actually haven’t checked ph once since sprout it’s on been 3 1/2 days but all seems well my bigger girl in the same mix is doing well also just a little lite so I wanted to add some nitrogen...great read btw 5-7.5 is a huge range but believable, my ph meter wasn’t even calibrated

I usually find that people who are preoccupied with PH come from hydro or synthetic nutrients background and if you don’t grow organically it has a certain value, but if you don’t it’s useless.

As far as bloodmeal I’d be extremely careful in dosing this shit. I didn’t like what it did to my outdoor plants and I only added two tbs per plant. Indoor I’d stay away or use it only of other means of providing nitrogen are impossible.
I actually haven’t checked ph once since sprout it’s on been 3 1/2 days but all seems well my bigger girl in the same mix is doing well also just a little lite so I wanted to add some nitrogen...great read btw 5-7.5 is a huge range
I am far from an expert butt that mix sounds hot as hell to me. My next grow will be 23% happy frog 23% ocean forest 23% peat and 23% perlite and 6% diatomaceceous earth

I’m not an expert either but I don’t like happy frog I don’t dislike it either I just feel it’s for beginners and I’m tryna learn new things..organic is the way to go I literally grew a single cola plant using coffee urine n when I stop being cheap fish farts at 0-3-2. As I feel more confident I’ll try a mix with rice hulls instead of perlite.

And going organic to me means dirt.
I like coco but to much work n peat kinda holds the same for me...I’m far from a pro I have maybe 6 or 7 fully completed grows so thank u for your advice.
Here’s an interesting article on coco vs peats environmental effects Is Coir an Eco-friendly Substitute for Peat Moss? - Garden Myths

What is your opinion on Neem meal?

Never used it. I use very few amendments in general.

Never used it. I use very few amendments in general.
Yea was searching for alternatives to the blood meal because most info says it’s less than 1% water soluble(fast release) then came across Neem meal its 6-1-2 and can be mixed into soil, top dressed or made into a tea...I think it really caught my eyes cause I like to foliar feed. My girls love it but so did the fungus gnats
008617DA-A5C0-43B1-A1CA-ED4FFF890DB2.jpeg

Not sure about that.

I like to foiler mainly in VEG.

In flower you can spray too - just be mindful of what you are spraying.

Anything water soluble is good and how I do it.
You can spray any time... my experience has been wherever there is water there is mold (just look at the caulk around the tub). Whenever I spray my plants on a daily or every other day basis they do not dry out enough to prevent mold from germinating on the leaf or bud. Mold spores are everywhere in the air we breathe and all it takes for them to germinate is excess humidity. Spraying for mites is once in a blue moon though so no problem there (I would never spray a bud for fear of mold and wouldn't like to smoke Organicide).

..organic is the way to go

And going organic to me means dirt.
You hit the nail on the head. It sure is a lot easier than soilless. Soilless will do just as good as soil (opinion I suppose) but that NPK ratio is a bit steep.

Yea was searching for alternatives to the blood meal because most info says it’s less than 1% water soluble(fast release) then came across Neem meal its 6-1-2 and can be mixed into soil, top dressed or made into a tea...I think it really caught my eyes cause I like to foliar feed. My girls love it but so did the fungus gnats
Water soluble and fast release are two different things. Not sure where you got your info but blood is classified as a fast release nitrogen source. I think 75% is released in the first two weeks. I add blood to the rain water before I water the plants when they look low. Make sure to let it steep for at least an hour (mixing the day before even better) before you use it to let the nutrient leach out of the blood.

Neem should also be as good as any (not saying it's bad). It has the unique 6-1-2 ratio (all depends on where your soil is at on nutrient concentration is all).

Water soluble and fast release are two different things. Not sure where you got your info but blood is classified as a fast release nitrogen source. I think 75% is released in the first two weeks. I add blood to the rain water before I water the plants when they look low. Make sure to let it steep for at least an hour (mixing the day before even better) before you use it to let the nutrient leach out of the blood.

Neem should also be as good as any (not saying it's bad). It has the unique 6-1-2 ratio (all depends on where your soil is at on nutrient concentration is all).
Think I’ll go with the blood meal then I don’t wanna screw with the p.k and it’s easier to get rite at Walmart. Couldn’t tell u the site, might have been a thread on here or another forum but I saw that soluble was fast release and insoluble was slow release granular types

You hit the nail on the head. It sure is a lot easier than soilless. Soilless will do just as good as soil (opinion I suppose) but that NPK ratio is a bit steep.
I love my garden but have to work so coco takes to much time and I struggle with dwc except with blue dream. The taste differences r really true also

What is your opinion on Neem meal?
Neem “cake”, not sure if I’ve ever seen neem in “meal” form. Can’t even remember the true definition of what a “meal” is right now tbh

Neem/karanja are pretty “go-to” personally, along with kelp probably my top 2 amendments.

I use neem in my soil mix, as a top dress, in my teas and neem oil in my IPM as well.

Think I’ll go with the blood meal then I don’t wanna screw with the p.k and it’s easier to get rite at Walmart. Couldn’t tell u the site, might have been a thread on here or another forum but I saw that soluble was fast release and insoluble was slow release granular types
Probably someone who uses chemical. Water soluble chemicals will go straight into the plant and are readily available right away (100% of it). I just hate chemicals, they give me aches and pains in my joints and make it harder for me to breathe... they also tend to "fog" my mind more than organic (staring off into space type stuff) and make it harder to concentrate and remember things. I don't even eat chemical food anymore (if I can help it) and so far I am much healthier than when eating chemical food (sometimes I slip up and have to eat a burger and the next day my joints ache and I'm suddenly dragging ass to get things done). Organic is the only way to go for personal consumption.

I'd say a safe concentration would be 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon of water... gonna depend on how much your plants need though (just have to learn to read the leaves lol). I buy 50 lb at a time (McGeary I think... organic they say) and cost me $1 per pound about.

I love my garden but have to work so coco takes to much time and I struggle with dwc except with blue dream. The taste differences r really true also
Once you learn how to use it (it's different than soil) it is just as easy as soil based mix... the learning curve can be discouraging though.

Edit: Oops meant $2 / lb on that blood

Do u guys use bottled nutrients? I’m using amendments so I can feed straight water and reuse next grow
No... I stay away from bottled nutes whenever possible (they add too many chemicals to them)... I don't even use bottled nutes for cloning anymore, just a little blood and potassium sulfate. Getting some more lab tests done so I have a more accurate understanding of the chemical makeup of a few more nutrient sources (cloning for me involves soilless so even if I go soil I will still have to use soilless at some point).

No... I stay away from bottled nutes whenever possible (they add too many chemicals to them)... I don't even use bottled nutes for cloning anymore, just a little blood and potassium sulfate. Getting some more lab tests done so I have a more accurate understanding of the chemical makeup of a few more nutrient sources (cloning for me involves soilless so even if I go soil I will still have to use soilless at some point).
I’ve had good luck cloning with soilless also learned how to clone in water by mistake actually. I forgot some clippings in a cup of water and ended up with roots a week later. I use an air stone now

Back
Top Bottom