Curing & burping

Yes, Bea - until they stop smelling green like grass cuttings
You can speed up the process by warming the jar very slightly [eg by placing on a lamp for 10 minutes with the lid off] then allowing to cool down again, a process known as 'sweating' your bud
Don't overdo it though; slowly, gently or it'll go too quickly and you'll lose texture/flavour

When using boveda packs in curing jars so I still need to burp them

Ye bud you still need to do the burping twice a day.

Burping without actually monitoring with hygrometers is still a shot in the dark.

I can be done with some experience but why take the risk ?

A 5 pack of hygrometers is ~ $20.

And Boveda packs don't aid in curing, they simply maintain your target rh Once you have reached it..

Cheers

Do you have hygrometers ?

There is link in my signature detailing my process.....

Cheers
Yes have hydrometer

IMG_20221013_081331.jpg

You can speed up the process by warming the jar very slightly [eg by placing on a lamp for 10 minutes with the lid off] then allowing to cool down again, a process known as 'sweating' your bud
Don't overdo it though; slowly, gently or it'll go too quickly and you'll lose texture/flavour

Wow great thanks I appreciate the support I have hydrometers inside the jar what should the temperature be raised to so to speak

You don't really need to leave them open for any length of time at all unless you still need to lose moisture.

Early in the process before you get down to 63% burping is a dual purpose thing, in allowing moisture to escape, and also bringing in oxygen for the microbes. Once you get to 60-63% you're golden.

The ideal being to keep it at that level for some time (during which time burping is basically just gas exchange) so that the microbes can finish processing the existing sugars for you (which tends to give a much smoother smoke/experience).

Wow great thanks I appreciate the support I have hydrometers inside the jar what should the temperature be raised to so to speak
Only a few degrees above room temp - for me that's a few minutes on a lamp, then be sure to leave it to get back to room temp before you put the lid back on
Do it gently and gradually and you can get it pretty accurate - don't overdo it or you'll crisp it
Once it's stable at about 60% just give it an occasional open up to freshen the air

You don't really need to leave them open for any length of time at all unless you still need to lose moisture.

Early in the process before you get down to 63% burping is a dual purpose thing, in allowing moisture to escape, and also bringing in oxygen for the microbes. Once you get to 60-63% you're golden.

The ideal being to keep it at that level for some time (during which time burping is basically just gas exchange) so that the microbes can finish processing the existing sugars for you (which tends to give a much smoother smoke/experience).
Thanks I really appreciate your help 🥰

Awesome thanks I have never heard of the process sweating definitely gonna give it a try! 😘

Okay thanks and for how long do I leave them open

5 to 10 minutes is roughly the normal time for burping the curing jars this will take on average 2 weeks.

The curing process by most would be around 2 months even tho individual growers may cure longer for their own tastes !

But you might find the odd grower who has vintage weed of a year old or more... I found this jar of Bubbas Gift by Humboldt Seeds like from 4 year ago it is so silky smooth through clean glass pipe totally out of this world :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom