DG's first grow Northern Lights

man, i can't wait till i switch to 12/12 and get to know sex... good job

actually, I haven't switched to 12/12 yet. Given enough time, many plants will show their sex automatically when they reach maturity. I'm gonna veg for about another month and switch to flowering when they reach 12-16 inches.

Clones:
I plan on taking a few clones right before flowering, but mostly just as a practice run. I'm gonna have to shut down my operation in July for a couple of months cause I'll be way to busy at work to tend to my garden. Also the temps around here get in the triple digits that time of year, and there's just no way to keep my house cool enough to maintain decent temps with lighting in that room. However, if I have one really remarkable plant, I might be able to keep a small mother plant somewhere;)

Pollen:
I probably will keep one male (in a different room) and collect a little pollen for future breeding. If I was gonna pick one strain to cross with something else, It would definitely be NL.

Clones:
I plan on taking a few clones right before flowering, but mostly just as a practice run. I'm gonna have to shut down my operation in July for a couple of months cause I'll be way to busy at work to tend to my garden. Also the temps around here get in the triple digits that time of year, and there's just no way to keep my house cool enough to maintain decent temps with lighting in that room. However, if I have one really remarkable plant, I might be able to keep a small mother plant somewhere;)

Pollen:
I probably will keep one male (in a different room) and collect a little pollen for future breeding. If I was gonna pick one strain to cross with something else, It would definitely be NL.

Yes the NL is a very good choice. Sorry to hear about the operation and the room shut down. Grow A very Big Plant:smokin: to tide you over.;)

Pan4

OK, first a couple of pictures of the nicest looking pheno from my females
100_02082.JPG

100_02112.JPG

Now on to the interesting stuff. I've never cloned before, and I'm not sure if I'll be any good at it. Hence, the practice run. I took 2 clones each from my male plants. I want to do a trial run before I go cutting the limbs off my girls, if ya know what I mean. I took the bottom branches off each plant, stripped the unnecessary leaves, trimmed the ends off the larger leaves still attached, dipped in Rootech cloning gel, planted in Rapid Rooter plugs, and misted the plants and the dome.
100_0213.JPG

100_02161.JPG

the cup is in there for weight. the rapid rooter insert is a little warped from being shrink wrapped. Now we'll see how green my thumb really is.

So far a clean cut and appearance, time will show you on the new cuttings, judging by the great condition of your plants and the method you just showed us you are on the right track. They are tender at this new stage. I know your eye is on them.:smokin:

Quick update:

NL plants are still doing well. Gave them a dose of BB and GB again (only half as much this time)
100_02252.JPG

clones are still alive, but a couple are looking a little droopy. Set them in the bathtub in the grow room so they can get 20 hrs of (indirect) light. hope to see roots in a week or so. note to self: the smaller clones seem to be happier than the larger ones.
100_02302.JPG

The ice/papaya seedlings are all quite happy and healthy:woohoo:
100_02322.JPG

Are you misting the clones?

when I took the clones, I misted them and the dome. 24 hrs later, I took the dome off and left it off (misting the cuttings occasionally). I figured they would wilt fairly quickly, but a few hours later they were still fine so I left the dome off. 24 hrs after I took it off, they started to wilt a little but the rapid rooters were starting to dry out too. Since then I've put the dome back on, re watered them, and I'm misting the cuttings a couple times a day. I'll probably wait a couple of days to try taking the dome off and leaving it off. I should have known better, the humidity around here in the winter is about 0%. I mist my other plants at least once a day, and I keep the soil fairly moist at all times to keep them from getting droopy. Thanks for all the help Cherma. I've been researching this growing MJ thing for years, but you don't actually learn much until you actually get down to it first hand.:smokin:

Like a proud father, ain't ya? :grinjoint: Lookin' good, DG.... can't wait to take a look myself!! This is DK, by the way...... tried to PM ya, but don't have the proper post count yet.

OK, time for an update. I transplanted the five females to 3gal pots, yanked 3 showing male preflowers, and kept one male for pollen.

here's some pics showing the healthy root system of one of the males
roots_2_.JPG

roots5.JPG

the male I kept
male10.JPG

some pics of the ladies
group18.JPG

female_7_.JPG

female_6_.JPG

female_2_.JPG

the clones
clones20.JPG

healthy_clone.JPG

the ice & papaya
ice-papaya.JPG

dakota grown, , the clones are looking firmer in this pic. The transfers to the larger pots has the other 5 females filling in. The 0% Humidity is what I dream of over here sometimes. ( 60-100% RH) most the time here.
The root ball system is working as they are not root ends cut off on the sides and they are not yellowing. The fiberous parts of the roots are well developed and creating micro eco systems as they should be. Thank you for the updates.:smokin:

OK, the ice and papaya were quickly outgrowing their cups, so I transplanted them into the 1gal pots
100_0271.JPG

100_0272.JPG

I've ordered a 4ft 4 bulb t5 fluorescent light fixture to light my veg closet (5ft x 2ft). When I get it and my exhaust fan installed, the ice/papaya will go in the closet and the NL will be switched to flowering.

Got' Damn man! looking good!

Man, those plants are looking GOOD! So, how long do you plan on flowering the NL? Or, more specifically, how long til harvest, if you were going to guess? :smokin:

Man, those plants are looking GOOD! So, how long do you plan on flowering the NL? Or, more specifically, how long til harvest, if you were going to guess? :smokin:

flowering will take approximately 2 months, and I plan to start in a couple of weeks, so probably early to mid May till harvest

Back
Top Bottom