My very 1st Grow- Northern Lights

I hope so, too!

Mist the plant now and keep it hydrated. You can also treat it like a clone:

To protect clones from dehydrating, mist the plant and the inside of a clear plastic bag (like the kind you put get from grocery stores for vegetables) with water. Then drape it loosely over the top of the pot. Make sure the plant and pot is about 2 feet away from the light. Keep the temperature cool. You don't want to steam your plant. You may see water condensing on the inside of the bag. This is good! It shows the humidity is very high. That is what you want. (I kept a clone alive for ten weeks this way. It eventually rooted and is now growing nicely!)

If for some reason, you don't get the nutrients today, use either

1) the worm castings as a tea;

OR

2) a cheapo plant fertilizer from any store. It doesn't make any difference what the N-P-K rating is. Use it 1/4 strength. It will have nitrogen in it, which this plant sorely needs.

Just remember to flush the plant first!

Good Luck, Princess!

Forget the dark phase, Princess !!!!​

Fertilize her now. This is not a plant that is in flower. Flush the plant, fertilize with 1/2 strength nutrients, mist the leaves with a foliar spray, turn the lights back on.

Place the plant under medium to low light, about 2 feet away. She needs enough light to start photosynthesis again, but you want it to be a slow rate.

If you were sleeping (in your dark period) and the blood for your life-saving transfusion came in, would you want to wake until you woke up to get it

OR

would you want it right away if it could save your life?

I've had my plants under 24/0 for months. Light isn't going to hurt her. She doesn't need to sleep. Do the above and make sure the leaves DO NOT dry out!

Try to get the humidity up as high as you can. Keep misting the leaves with the foliar spray (1/4 strength BPN is an aerosol. If you don't have an aerosol and the leaves are not too fragile, dampen a soft tissue with either water or 1/4 strength BPN and swab the leaves gently.

If you can post a picture - that would be great. I was going to go out tonight but I think I'm coming down with something, so I'm staying home.

I'll keep an eye out for your posts. If you're not sure about anything, post it here.

P. S. Did I mention that you should flush the plant? (Seriously, don't skip this step. It only takes a few minutes. Use lots of water - at least three times the pot's volume.)

Ironic im getting pretty sick myself. I had this crazy dream that this plant was my fucking life line and i had an IV attached to the plant and myself(like any one of my moves could fuck up me or my plant). It was CRAZY. Anyhow back to business, Flush, feed, mist, right? Can i flush with tap or should i like sit it out or what? I'm so clueless. ive never had to flush and shes only in a gallon.
Oh and shes turning greenish purple. Not sure why though.

F**K!!

I just sent a long message and it didn't post. This has happened to me a few times before! Refreshing the page or going back a page doesn't retrieve what you've written. Argggggh!

Here goes again.

Use tap water, Princess. You want to act sooner rather than later. Put aside some free-standing water for future use.

Oh and shes turning greenish purple. Not sure why though.

I don't know what it means either. You can worry about it later. From your pictures, I was afraid the leaves were turning brown. It's hard to get good color quality from photos sometimes. Green is good. She needs chlorophyl for photosynthesis. She also needs healthy roots, hence the flush.

After you finish treating her, post some pictures. Also say what color the leaves are. Use this range:

1) Yellow
2) Yellow-green
3) Pale green
4) Light green
5) Dark green

Not sure about the purplish green. Are all the leaves that color? Do any of the leaves match one of the colors above?

As you might imagine, the colors above range from very unhealthy to very healthy.

Use these colors to describe your plant's leaves for the next little while as photographs can be deceiving.

Reember to keep her under low light until she starts to respond. And don't turn off the lights! She doesn't need to sleep! Leave them on 24/7 until she recovers. After that, if you want to switch back to 18/6, that's fine. The more she stays under the light doing photosynthesis, the faster she'll recover.

I thought I might crash as I'm feeling something coming on, but I'm still awake, so post away after you've completed treatment, Nurse!

Done! Shes been fed, spritsed, covered and tucked away with the light a good distance. Farmers pride grow smells like liquified cow s**t. its terrible. Hopefully she likes it? currently uploading pics.
IMG_20120224_231502.jpg

A little on the edges. Gradually moving in. Their more like soft and flimsy.

That's OK. When leaves are stressed, they dry from the outside in. Once you correct the problem, the drying will stop and new leaves will sprout.

Make sure the plant has plenty of drainage, i.e, after all the water she's taken on, she now needs to dry out a bit.

Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)? If you don't, go out and buy some. It's handy to provide oxygen for the roots. Roots need oxygen to grow and develop properly.

Use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) as follows:
Three percent Hydrogen Peroxide may be added at up to three ml's per liter (2 1\2 tsp. Per gallon), but it is recommended that you start at a lower concentration and increase to full strength over a few weeks. Use every watering even on fresh cuttings.

By flushing the plant, you've cleaned the roots. By adding nutrients, you've provided nourishment for the plant. When you add the hydrogen peroxide, you're providing oxygen to help the roots recover and grow properly.

Even if the pot is waterlogged, you should use the hydrogen peroxide. It's not the water that bothers roots, it's the lack of oxygen. After all, in hydroponics systems, the roots are completely soaked in water 24/7. Oxygen is added to the water by an aerator (like those used in fish tanks) for the roots.

If you use the hydrogen peroxide, remember to dilute first as described above. Never use it full-strength!

Here's another way to add H2O2, Princess.

2943.jpeg

Put your gal in a tray like the picture above and use the hydrogen peroxide as mentioned earlier:

Use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) as follows:
Three percent Hydrogen Peroxide may be added at up to three ml's per liter (2 1\2 tsp. Per gallon), but it is recommended that you start at a lower concentration and increase to full strength over a few weeks. Use every watering even on fresh cuttings.

The picture above is a plant being treated for overwatering. Because it's been overwatered, oxygen is not reaching that plant's roots, so it has been placed in a mild hydrogen peroxide bath.

Although your plant may not be suffering from overwatering, she still needs oxygen.

How's the patient doing, Nurse?

not quite sure yet. roughly 12 hours in and no major change. How long do you think i should wait before deeming her a "lost cause"?
Theres some bright green on her but im not sure if its from before or if its trying to come back. im foliar feeding her bottled water with 1 ml of the nutes in the spray so i guess its just the waiting game now?

Hey Princess,

Give her a few days and see what happens. There is another journal on this site where a grower had a plant thay was totally miserable for weeks before he treated it. It took a couple of days before it responded, but it recovered completely and is a monster now.

ShadowGrow:
She looks pretty bad princess. I could be wrong but I believe it will take some time. You won't notice her bad leaves coming back, what we want to see is new growth. If she is still green then there is a fair chance. Best of luck!

What he said! What you really want is for this lady to start showing some new growth. The old leaves leaves should provide some support until this happens. When you signs of new growth at the very top, then you know she will recover.

Keep her under medium light 24/7 and try the hydrogen peroxide, either as a bath, like the picture I showed or water her with the hydrogen peroxide as I mentioned in my previous post.

I would do both, as the more oxygen the better!

And remember to mist and foliar feed. You don't want the leaves to dry out and crumble! The foliar solution will be absorbed by the leaves directly and should speed up recovery.

I wouldn't give up on this gal unless she dies completely. As long as she still has some green in her leaves, she is struggling to survive and I think you should give her a chance.

Here is a picture of a clone that was almost dead, like your gal:

Late Bloomer

LateBloomer.jpg

The dark leaves were essentially dead. The new growth in green started as a miniscule green shoot from under the dead leaves. The new shoot was less than 1/4" when it started. The picture is after about 3 days of new growth.

Here she is today (about 2 weeks after the photo above).

Miracle Clone

MiracleClone4.jpg

.​

Thanks! I'm hoping she shows improvement sometime soon. Her stem is super hard though(like sturdy but bendy) is that bad? When she was growing she had new growth(baby leaves) comming on top and those are like a deep greenish with purple tint. Her other leaves look greenish yellow and brownish green. Im not good at describing so in a few hours when I sprits again I'll take a picture.

No, the stem being hard but flexible is OK. The stem on the clone in picture I posted was like wood. The stems get more and more woody as the plant gets older. Even though the clone I showed was puny, I was able to use a twist tie to support her without worrying about crushing the stem - it was that hard. Inside, the phloem (the soft tissue of the plant where nutrients flow) should still be OK.

As long as nutrients can make it up the stem somehow and new growth starts, everything else will work itself out. You can't tell by the picture, but in the second picture, the original stem has stopped growing and the new side shoot has become the stalk for the plant. It is getting thicker now and soon it will be hard to tell that she essentially started a brand-new stalk for herself.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. Keep her misted, try to add some oxygen as mentioned previously. If you seen some new growth or bright green leaf, that is a good sign!

she looks like shes getting worse. is that even possible? all her top leaves are turning brown. like 2-4 of the bottom leaves are trying to stay green. not really sure how to help but i dont think she'll make it. ggrant i'm thinking about taking ilikebike's advice and just germinating another northern lights seed. Maybe make a new journal? Not really sure what to do.

Back
Top Bottom