Do I bother?

yes, giving feed every time in soil is probably why it is accumulating and burning them. Those burns at the top in the new growth are a snapshot in time, and show you when it was that the OD happened. In soil grows the normal advice is to give nutes one time and then follow the next time with pH adjusted water only, so as to give the nutes that are still leftover in the soil a second shot at becoming available for the plants, essentially virtually giving nutes on that second pass at some weaker level than what happened on the first pass. Some nute systems even recommend doing another water only cycle, nutes/water/water but I always used nutes/water/nutes/water in my FoxFarms and Jacks Classic grows and it worked very well.

Both of the plants are in cyco coco coir with perlite, I've never actually tried a soil grow. Is it the same with coco? Should i be alternating?

oh, ooops... excuse me... should have checked again. coco is not soil... here it is appropriate to feed every time.
Phew haha

Yeah there has been a bit of guesswork in my measurements to be honest so probably my fault and overdosed. The main thing I'm worried about at this point is all the lower leaves dropping off, seems to be impacting the fan leaves the most.

Well, the symptoms describe a major nutrient deficiency and since it starts with the older leaves and continues to move up the trunk it is clearly a mobile nutrient deficiency. This points to potassium and phosphorus. Everything you have told us though says that you are giving the correct nutrients in the correct percentages for this stage of the grow and at the correct pH. Something however is not right. You are describing a slowly starving plant. I am as perplexed at this point as you are. Somewhere in all of this an assumption is being made that is incorrect.

Well, the symptoms describe a major nutrient deficiency and since it starts with the older leaves and continues to move up the trunk it is clearly a mobile nutrient deficiency. This points to potassium and phosphorus. Everything you have told us though says that you are giving the correct nutrients in the correct percentages for this stage of the grow and at the correct pH. Something however is not right. You are describing a slowly starving plant. I am as perplexed at this point as you are. Somewhere in all of this an assumption is being made that is incorrect.

I was kind of thinking Phosphorus as well but at the same time that's why I was considering root bound since multiple signs of deficiencies that shouldn't be there can show up. I also thought that'd explain the drooping lower leaves.
It just seems weird that I have these signs of deficiency when the nutes haven't had issues covering those bases before and I've been meticulous with my pH.

It wouldnt hurt anything to uppot really, but I don't think that is it. It appears to be a lockout of some kind though. I wish someone else would chime in with an idea.

Just confirmed your guess of the leaf damage to be thrips, caught one in the act! I've only just noticed the damaged leaves though so I think it's a relatively recent infestation. I'm gonna get some neem oil and sticky traps tomorrow.

I mean would it be worth it? Do I have the potential of saving the plant and stopping these symptoms or would it only set it back. Hard decisions, so much guess-work

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_190351.jpg
    IMG_20190105_190351.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 35
This single act of intelligence to me is proof that plants are sentient - @Emilya

This might be going on my tombstone

Just confirmed your guess of the leaf damage to be thrips, caught one in the act! I've only just noticed the damaged leaves though so I think it's a relatively recent infestation. I'm gonna get some neem oil and sticky traps tomorrow.

I mean would it be worth it? Do I have the potential of saving the plant and stopping these symptoms or would it only set it back. Hard decisions, so much guess-work
If you dont follow this through and figure it out, the next grow will be an unknown... even if you lose the plants in the struggle but eventually figure it out, you gained in the process.

And now I am gonna chime in, and although my knowledge is limited in comparison to some of the help you have going on here a new eye never hurts..It looks like you have some sort of nute lockout going on. Did you over compensate in any form with your Potassium? This would lead to most of the issues I am looking at in your pictures. I am seeing possible iron and magnesium deficiencies, which could be brought on easily with excessive K.

And now I am gonna chime in, and although my knowledge is limited in comparison to some of the help you have going on here a new eye never hurts..It looks like you have some sort of nute lockout going on. Did you over compensate in any form with your Potassium? This would lead to most of the issues I am looking at in your pictures. I am seeing possible iron and magnesium deficiencies, which could be brought on easily with excessive K.

I've actually been adding small amounts of PK 13/14 to my water just due to the plant beginning bloom. The problem was there before I was adding that though so I think what may have initially been the issue was my pH was too low and that caused the lock-out. I've corrected it since then and even flushed with pH'd water because I was adding epsom salts and was advised not to haha, after the flush is when the burning potassium/phosphorus deficiency symptoms up top started to show. Magnesium deficiency definitely seems appropriate for the lower leaves but it's just weird now that I've got these new symptoms up top.

Literally every grow brings up new issues, the last was nitrogen toxicity

Just remember, Potassium is a "MOBILE" nutrient and if it is a deficiency with a mobile nutrient, you will see it move up the plant accompanied with yellowing most the time.

I am contradicting myself with the nute lockout and over-use of K and with what I just posted. But it's important that you know if you are seeing problems moving up a plant that you realize it's a mobile nutrient problem. It narrows down your search. I didn't read your mention of it's movements until you replied to my post.

Here is a good off-site guide that I used to learn to tell the difference between the two from Michigan State University... I'm a Michigan guy myself, all Blue and I took this with a grain of salt, but it's good and simple

Mobile or Immobile?

I am contradicting myself with the nute lockout and over-use of K and with what I just posted. But it's important that you know if you are seeing problems moving up a plant that you realize it's a mobile nutrient problem. It narrows down your search. I didn't read your mention of it's movements until you replied to my post.

Thanks for that, I'll have a read of it. I think what I'll do at this point may be another flush to eliminate nute lock-out potential, I'm just hoping that won't make any potential deficiencies progress... Such a balancing act, full of trade-offs

Back
Top Bottom