Do moisture meters work?

I do the same. E.g. some times a plant decides to stay wet for longer than the others, and then I like to probe horizontally through the holes (I've drilled plenty in the sides of my buckets). That lets you get a feel for where things are at. For the watering decision I use the weighing method - the moisture meter is just for monitoring and learning a little. No conflicts there.
i still fail to understand how you guys use the weighing method with autos, it will just stun them if you wanna go straight into the final pot and water 'till sturation

pretty similar to mine, is the picture bad or is it turning brown?tiny bit of corrosion on mine too :)
No, it isn't corrosion because it is a consistent color throughout; I think it is some kind of anodized metal, probably aluminum.

100% water is, of course, great, which is why we teach children not to use a hair dryer whilst standing in a bathtub that still has water in it ;) .

But, well... Made in China :rolleyes: .

Pure water is a terrible conducter. Labs measure the purity of water used in the lab by measuring resistance. Pure deionized has thousands of megaohms resistance.

Sure. But water is rarely pure "in the wild," as it were (it certainly won't be when you consider context, IOW, that which is in a container full of soil). And, while in absolute terms, the average non-pure bit of water isn't the best conductor, it beats the snot out of air. And conducts electricity well enough to bite you.

I did, however, forget all about that whole "EC" thing. Consider me to be stood in the corner ;) .

i still fail to understand how you guys use the weighing method with autos, it will just stun them if you wanna go straight into the final pot and water 'till sturation
I water till "run off" , I guess that's what you are calling "saturation"...and it may take 2 weeks to water again, but my Purple Haze autos are just fine :thumb:

You will damage the roots of the plant pushing through the soil. Not a very good idea my friend.

future is bright the future is green

I water till "run off" , I guess that's what you are calling "saturation"...and it may take 2 weeks to water again, but my Purple Haze autos are just fine :thumb:

IDK about the two weeks thing, but I never was too hot on the concept of only watering a tiny portion of a container. I might not (probably won't, if the plant is small/young enough) completely saturate it, but I'll give it enough water that I don't have to worry about it for a while. I want it to end up dry on top and still wet down towards the bottom, because I want to encourage the roots to grow into that part of the soil, too. I'm definitely not someone who tries to mirror "nature," but someone who was once told me, "Shallow watering encourages shallow roots - deep watering encourages deep roots." She grew cannabis outside, in the biggest container of all (the ground).

it will just stun them if you wanna go straight into the final pot and water 'till sturation
That's a common misconception- put them in the big pot, water (and feed) to saturation,then don't water again for 2 weeks. Works fine for my autos, and photos like it too!
As the plant grows, you'll need to water a little more often, by the end, it's every other day.

IDK about the two weeks thing, but I never was too hot on the concept of only watering a tiny portion of a container. I might not (probably won't, if the plant is small/young enough) completely saturate it, but I'll give it enough water that I don't have to worry about it for a while. I want it to end up dry on top and still wet down towards the bottom, because I want to encourage the roots to grow into that part of the soil, too. I'm definitely not someone who tries to mirror "nature," but someone who was once told me, "Shallow watering encourages shallow roots - deep watering encourages deep roots." She grew cannabis outside, in the biggest container of all (the ground).
Actually that pic was taken in April, and I've already harvested 2 of 4...damn autos, can't seem to make them finish at the same time, even when they are started at the same time :hmmmm:

the issue i have with this way of thinking is that it slows down growth, which isn't an issue at all in a fem, and actually makes it stronger, but with autos it's a big issue.

despite trying so much, i was never able to make this method work with autos.

no matter what you do, unless you're in a cup, if you saturate the pot like the guy did in the pics above, it will slow growth down. (unless you're using something like 60% perlite)

and it is shown by his plants, the don't look nice and green (just like mine), they look kinda pale...

That's a common misconception- put them in the big pot, water (and feed) to saturation,then don't water again for 2 weeks. Works fine for my autos, and photos like it too!
As the plant grows, you'll need to water a little more often, by the end, it's every other day.
never ever worked for me, one time the auto was so small it grew the size of my thumb and only had one mini bud

the issue i have with the saturation method is that it works well in theory and in nature... but we are in a pot.

what works in a pot is way different from real soil, imagine weed is just growing in the wild, it rains A LOT one day, and the soil is saturated with water... first of all there is gonna be grass and other stuff drinking from it, also the roots can spread trough a bigger area... idk, like i said, it don't work for me, if it does for you guys then that's cool

the issue i have with this way of thinking is that it slows down growth, which isn't an issue at all in a fem, and actually makes it stronger, but with autos it's a big issue.

despite trying so much, i was never able to make this method work with autos.

no matter what you do, unless you're in a cup, if you saturate the pot like the guy did in the pics above, it will slow growth down. (unless you're using something like 60% perlite)

and it is shown by his plants, the don't look nice and green (just like mine), they look kinda pale...
I understand it doesn't work for you, maybe after a few years it'll become second nature for you. I've only been growing for a short while now, since 2007, but I can tell you that none of my plants are pale and unhealthy...it's called good lighting and a bad phone camera :rofl:
Here's some pics of my girls showing their true colors

I had a White Widow Auto (can't remember the breeder) in a Solo cup. it had been flowering for a week, when I dropped the thing and broke off the top (if "top" is the correct term for 'everything above the first pair of nodes :rolleyes: ). I threw it away, then got it back out the next evening. Filled the cup back up with soil and stuck it back under a light. It regrew. About a third of the way through through flowering (what little stretch there was had almost finished happening), I figured I should probably stick it in a larger container. So I did - a two-liter Mountain Dew bottle. It didn't even give me 16 grams. But according to some, it should have given me about enough for a joint, lol. And I've had straight-to-flower clones in two-liter bottles give me slightly less, so I wasn't exactly disappointed. Not every rumor about autoflowering cannabis plants turns out to be a clear fact. I think our understanding of them is still incomplete.

One good thing about two-liter Mountain Dew bottles is that you don't have to paint them. Another is that you can pack them in at up to four per square foot ;) .

Back
Top Bottom